Fascinators for QM2 Gala Nights

Bellarion

Having booked several QM2 cruises, I was wondering if fascinators (decorated headbands) are worn on gala nights?  Does anyone have pictures of them in the Dining Room? Thank you!

23 minutes ago, Bellarion said:

Having booked several QM2 cruises, I was wondering if fascinators (decorated headbands) are worn on gala nights?  Does anyone have pictures of them in the Dining Room? Thank you!

Maybe would look better on a 'Masquerade' evening , not too sure how they would fit in on a cruise it's not a wedding or Ascot . However, this reply is from a Guy who knows nothing at all of what a lady feels comfortable wearing - If it makes you feel good I'm all for it - Go for it  , I'm also one for dressing to the nines 👍  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bellarion said:

I was wondering if fascinators (decorated headbands) are worn on gala nights?

You will see a wide range of things people wear. If you're comfortable with it, go for it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellarion said:

I was wondering if fascinators (decorated headbands) are worn on gala nights?

We don't recall seeing fascinators on QM2 other than headbands on Roaring 20s nights.

However my wife is happy to wear a tiara at any time! 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I always take one of my fascinators to wear on gala night. Being a hat, it fits in with Ascot. A fascinator has nothing at all to do with roaring 20's as far as I know, but I might wear it that night as there are so few formal nights now days. They are worn to church, so I feel quite comfortable wearing one. 

Easy to pack. I put mine in a plastic food container. Take a fascinator with you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, D&N said:

We don't recall seeing fascinators on QM2 other than headbands on Roaring 20s nights.

However my wife is happy to wear a tiara at any time! 🙂

Oh, I’d love to wear a tiara! Sparkle is my favorite color 😄

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, napria said:

You may be getting the wrong impression.

Nora's tiaras were €1.30 each from SHEIN! At that price anyone can wear them.

• Haha 1

20240526_074016.thumb.jpg.36e3bc5bbad9624b881e5b649599a28c.jpgThank you, Oceansandseas!  Just bought these in April when visiting family in England.  As an American, we don't wear them, so I am super excited to try them out.  Two are headbands, and the small one is a comb.  I hope the picture is clear.  I have started to see them in the stores here, so let's start a trend, ladies!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bellarion said:

20240526_074016.thumb.jpg.36e3bc5bbad9624b881e5b649599a28c.jpgThank you, Oceansandseas!  Just bought these in April when visiting family in England.  As an American, we don't wear them, so I am super excited to try them out.  Two are headbands, and the small one is a comb.  I hope the picture is clear.  I have started to see them in the stores here, so let's start a trend, ladies!

Those are very lovely!  Just my .02 — and please feel free to take this with a grain of salt (I’m American too) — those fascinators appear to be more of a daytime piece of apparel.  I think of Easter or a daytime wedding guest.

But I could be completely wrong. And even if I’m not wrong, I’m of the opinion that if you want to wear them in the evening you should, and with every confidence.  You just might start a trend! In my younger days, my friends and I showed up to a semi formal NewYears Eve party with gorgeous, long formal dresses.  We garnered quite a few looks! The following year we returned to the same place also dressed in (different) formal gowns, and there were a handful of other guests wearing long gowns too. The third year I’d say more than half the women were wearing long gowns. It was fun and the owners of the Inn where the party was said they were glad we’d started the trend.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D&N said:

You may be getting the wrong impression.

Nora's tiaras were €1.30 each from SHEIN! At that price anyone can wear them.

Does she actually wear them on Gala Nights? My tiaras are from Amazon, for my 50th birthday and for a Bridgerton party. It’s a shame that I don’t have a place to wear them again.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, napria said:

They pack really well in the corner of a suitcase, I wear mine at steampunk events all over England, on cruises in the buffet or dining room and in Vegas to do anything. If anyone questions you just tell them you are actually a fairytale princess. 

Edited by Catchum
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, napria said:

Ok, now I have to know… has anyone ever seen someone wearing a tiara during Gala Night?

Not on a Cunard ship , but I did see a certain person wearing a Tiara on the Royal Yacht Britannia  when I just happened to be invited onboard for a Gala evening in Bahrain ........... as you do 😉

Now that's got you all thinking  lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, napria said:

Does she actually wear them on Gala Nights? My tiaras are from Amazon, for my 50th birthday and for a Bridgerton party. It’s a shame that I don’t have a place to wear them again.

6 minutes ago, napria said:

Ok, now I have to know… has anyone ever seen someone wearing a tiara during Gala Night?

Not sure what the big deal is about Tiaras?

They are just sparkly hairbands.

Here is top left Masquerade Night (that Cunard decreed would be a 2nd Roaring 20s Night, that didn't suit us!); top right Red & Gold Night, bottom left a smart attire night that we felt should have been a gala night, and bottom right a niece's wedding we were at in Scotland in April 2023.

She'll probably wear one most nights on our next two fourteen night return crossings because we don't plan to observe any smart attire nights.

For €2.60 we got one silver coloured and one gold coloured lightweight tiara.

Tiaras.thumb.jpg.1e0a15e48e85f92622a800b127880f62.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

To the OP…IMO you could easily wear the pretty white fascinator on “Black  and White” night if that theme is listed on your itinerary. If you look on line at the accessories that Amazon sells for roaring 20s nights for parties  (including a little head piece) I would think you could easily wear any of your fascinators on a roaring 20s night.  Not quite the same but who cares?   As stated above they are generally a daytime accessory but again but I don’t see an issue wearing them on gala nights. 

I recall being on a few QM2 TAs and they had a “Royal Ascot” theme night on each of those crossings as well as a “Masquerade” and “Black and White” night. This was in 2014, 2015 and 2016.  On those evenings many, many people including myself wore fascinators in the QR (not at dinner)…some people wore hats…the type that Jacques Vert sold in the UK and at the Bay in Canada at the time.   I imagine they had been bought for weddings.   I bought mine for the Kentucky Derby and was happy to have an additional use for them.  

Edited by Cancun01
  • Like 1

My fascinators are a bit larger than those pictured in the photo. Mine have a flower about 6 inches in diameter made of shinny, sparkly light material and the petals are individual and rimmed with a wire. The centre of the flower has small jewels. Some bits and pieces from the base of the flower also.One is black toned and the other is in a grey hue. Hard to describe. I wear the flower off to the side. I purchased at a cute little boutique in Canada (where I live) specifically to wear on formal nights. 

We were going for 34 days on Queen Mary 2, and that was quite awhile ago when nearly every night was formal.

And yes, I have seen them on a Cunard ship when I look in the mirror. I will wear one on my next cruise. I have seen them on Cunard cruises but not that many.

I like the tiara. I would wear that easily.

10 hours ago, D&N said:

Not sure what the big deal is about Tiaras?

They are just sparkly hairbands.

Here is top left Masquerade Night (that Cunard decreed would be a 2nd Roaring 20s Night, that didn't suit us!); top right Red & Gold Night, bottom left a smart attire night that we felt should have been a gala night, and bottom right a niece's wedding we were at in Scotland in April 2023.

She'll probably wear one most nights on our next two fourteen night return crossings because we don't plan to observe any smart attire nights.

For €2.60 we got one silver coloured and one gold coloured lightweight tiara.

Tiaras.thumb.jpg.1e0a15e48e85f92622a800b127880f62.jpg

A tiara is not a sparkly headband.

If anyone wants to see a tiara at sea, head for Garrard's on Queen Anne. Showcased on its own is a Princess Diana tiara. As slightly out of my price range, I didn't enquire if for sale or show or after its provenance but heck...that's a tiara alright!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

A tiara is not a sparkly headband.

If anyone wants to see a tiara at sea, head for Garrard's on Queen Anne. Showcased on its own is a Princess Diana tiara. As slightly out of my price range, I didn't enquire if for sale or show or after its provenance but heck...that's a tiara alright!

I thought it looked a little lonely. It would probably love to be worn, if just for a night. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I thought it looked a little lonely. It would probably love to be worn, if just for a night. 

Yes, but the security guards handcuffed to the passenger wearing it would be less than conducive to a splendid evening on QA.🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Yes, but the security guards handcuffed to the passenger wearing it would be less than conducive to a splendid evening on QA.🥴

That might depend on who the security guards are😇

• Haha 6