day trip from Sydney to Blue Mountains

9 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

I have a mate who drives trains between Central and Lithgow (Blue Mts)/Bathurst. 

I used to live at the foothills of the Blue Mountains (Emu Heights), some of the train drivers (hubby is one though on Metropolitan line) hate coming down the mountains, especially in wet weather, snow & fog.  The train track gets very slippery, I used to frequently see people lose their belongings as the express train flew past down the mountains and Emu Plains station - they soon learned not to put bags down close to the edge of the platform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2024 at 6:09 AM, jjduck said:

We are an active couple in our 70/80's and will be staying in the CBD area for a week in Nov. 2024.  We are thinking of taking the train to Blue Mountains for the day.

What do you suggest for our itinerary for short hikes and sight seeing?  Our research is overwhelming with so many things to see.  What would be the top three, for example.

We went to Taronga Zoo last year, Your opinions of Featherdale zoo? (not on the same day)

Any tips greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Another suggestion,seeing you will be in Sydney for a week and in my opinion better than Katoomba is a train trip to Wollongong. Locals call it the Gong .

About the same time as Katoomba but along the coast south through a couple of national parks.

• Like 2

Thanks for the video, Chiliburn,  Have added the Gong to our list.  Very helpful to see what Central station looks like.  Much appreciated!

BTW, our cruise ends on a Friday, so we were thinking of walking at the Rocks and Darling Harbor areas on the weekend to "try to avoid crowds" on trains or bus.   Then explore by public transport during the week.  Your opinion?

thanks

15 minutes ago, jjduck said:

Thanks for the video, Chiliburn,  Have added the Gong to our list.  Very helpful to see what Central station looks like.  Much appreciated!

BTW, our cruise ends on a Friday, so we were thinking of walking at the Rocks and Darling Harbor areas on the weekend to "try to avoid crowds" on trains or bus.   Then explore by public transport during the week.  Your opinion?

thanks

Have a look at this site. I’ve done all of them and more .

https://www.walkmyworld.com/sydney/walks-index

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Another suggestion,seeing you will be in Sydney for a week and in my opinion better than Katoomba is a train trip to Wollongong. Locals call it the Gong .

About the same time as Katoomba but along the coast south through a couple of national parks.

Couldn't agree with you more Chiliburn.  As a resident of Wollongong we always recommend visitors to Sydney take the train trip to Wollongong, or further down the coast to Kiama or Berry and be sure to sit on the left hand side of the carriage heading south to get the best views.  

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, Chiliburn!  Now we will have to extend our visit for a few more weeks! LOL

This is spectacular information.  Thank you so much.

begagirl, thanks for the tip on where to sit for best views.

My planning pages are turning into a notebook.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, begagirl said:

Couldn't agree with you more Chiliburn.  As a resident of Wollongong we always recommend visitors to Sydney take the train trip to Wollongong, or further down the coast to Kiama or Berry and be sure to sit on the left hand side of the carriage heading south to get the best views.  

Any good recommendations for lunch?

There quite a few Thai restaurants in Wollongong.

On 7/7/2024 at 6:43 PM, begagirl said:

We stayed at Gerringong in April that is a top spot. We want to go back.

On 7/7/2024 at 7:17 PM, Chiliburn said:

Any good recommendations for lunch?

There quite a few Thai restaurants in Wollongong.

The best restaurant area is the eastern end of Crown Street and Corrimal Street.  Lots of restaurants including at least two Thai (both quite good), Indian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Italian and middle-Eastern.  Also a few good seafood restaurants at the harbour and in Stuart Park.

If visiting Wollongong I suggest walking east down to City Beach and then following the pathway north along the beach towards the lighthouses and harbour (Belmore Basin). You can then continue along the walking path (the Blue Mile) to North Beach.  Return via Cliff Road.  Great views and quite a few cafes for coffee, snacks or a light meal along the way.  If you don't feel like walking back to the train station you can then catch the free shuttle bus from near Belmore Basin.  The 55A goes via the University and stops in Crown St near the station, 55C is the faster route and also stops near the station.  

• Like 1

Living in the Northern suburbs I'll put my two cents worth in for catching the train from Central throught the Northshore to Hawkesbury river station and doing the Riverboat Postman.  This is the last postal service in Australia that still delivers the post by boat to the communities living along the Hawkesbury River.  https://riverboatpostman.com.au/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

Living in the Northern suburbs I'll put my two cents worth in for catching the train from Central throught the Northshore to Hawkesbury river station and doing the Riverboat Postman.  This is the last postal service in Australia that still delivers the post by boat to the communities living along the Hawkesbury River.  https://riverboatpostman.com.au/

I am a bit bored with the overall Newcastle to Sydney train journey these days, but parts of the Hawkesbury are stunning. Another option for those that have the time is to take the ferry from Circular Quay up the river to Meadowbank, then catch the train there.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I am a bit bored with the overall Newcastle to Sydney train journey these days, but parts of the Hawkesbury are stunning. Another option for those that have the time is to take the ferry from Circular Quay up the river to Meadowbank, then catch the train there.

I did the train trip up to Newcastle the other day Geoff.

As you say the actual trip is pretty unimpressive but the Hawkesbury River is nice .

As a local what’s the highlights of Newcastle?

I caught the light rail to the beach and walked back along the harbour waterfront.

22 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I did the train trip up to Newcastle the other day Geoff.

As you say the actual trip is pretty unimpressive but the Hawkesbury River is nice .

As a local what’s the highlights of Newcastle?

I caught the light rail to the beach and walked back along the harbour waterfront.

The city itself is becoming a residential and university area, with much less emphasis on being a commercial centre. The beaches are world class, and nice to watch big ships navigating the working port. The main commercial areas are out in shopping complexes in the burbs.

My cruise passenger burn off calorie walk, which would work similarly well when arriving by train:

From Queens Wharf light rail, walk up the hill and through the grounds of Christchurch cathedral,

down to Newcastle beach. Swim, rest or grab an ice cream at Zaara St.

Newcastle Ocean baths are nearby, as is Fort Scratchley where general admission is free. There are some great views there, and the tunnel tour (paid) is interesting.

Walk down to Nobbys Beach, then back along the foreshore to Queens Wharf and down to Honeysuckle. Some nice cafes there, and general admission to Newcastle Museum is free. If you have your own food & drink, it is a really cheap day.

As an alternative, when reaching Newcastle Beach, head south along bathers way to the memorial walk then onto Bar Beach. We do this walk every other month, with a round loop of around 13,000 steps. That gives us an excuse to walk across to The Junction for a coffee and a couple of Doughheads donuts, then a walk back down Union St past No1 sportsground to the Newcastle interchange.

Like the Blue Mountains, South Coast, Hawkesbury, this is a worthwhile day trip. It doesn't have to be particularly active and can be just a stroll along the foreshore to Nobbys Beach.

51 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The city itself is becoming a residential and university area, with much less emphasis on being a commercial centre. The beaches are world class, and nice to watch big ships navigating the working port. The main commercial areas are out in shopping complexes in the burbs.

My cruise passenger burn off calorie walk, which would work similarly well when arriving by train:

From Queens Wharf light rail, walk up the hill and through the grounds of Christchurch cathedral,

down to Newcastle beach. Swim, rest or grab an ice cream at Zaara St.

Newcastle Ocean baths are nearby, as is Fort Scratchley where general admission is free. There are some great views there, and the tunnel tour (paid) is interesting.

Walk down to Nobbys Beach, then back along the foreshore to Queens Wharf and down to Honeysuckle. Some nice cafes there, and general admission to Newcastle Museum is free. If you have your own food & drink, it is a really cheap day.

As an alternative, when reaching Newcastle Beach, head south along bathers way to the memorial walk then onto Bar Beach. We do this walk every other month, with a round loop of around 13,000 steps. That gives us an excuse to walk across to The Junction for a coffee and a couple of Doughheads donuts, then a walk back down Union St past No1 sportsground to the Newcastle interchange.

Like the Blue Mountains, South Coast, Hawkesbury, this is a worthwhile day trip. It doesn't have to be particularly active and can be just a stroll along the foreshore to Nobbys Beach.

There’s some lovely old buildings around there,any old pubs that have accommodation that are worth a night?

Also what’s the train trip up the Hunter like? We can do it on the Opel $2.50 deal but I would have to stay the night somewhere.

12 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

We did this while in Sydney in March.  It was a brilliant day out - $2.50 train ride to Hawkesbury River Bridge and a Concession Ticket (about $55) for the river cruise which included morning tea, lunch, more tea or coffee and a wonderful commentary.  Good bar too. I would recommend to anyone.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

There’s some lovely old buildings around there,any old pubs that have accommodation that are worth a night?

Also what’s the train trip up the Hunter like? We can do it on the Opel $2.50 deal but I would have to stay the night somewhere.

There are some pubs, but I am more personally inclined to Noahs on the Beach. The Lucky Hotel would be my first suggestion, but it seems to have gone a bit trendy. Handy location. Same with the Clarendon. The Commonwealth could be a good fit.

City rail runs into the valley with regular services to Maitland & Telarah, and infrequent ones up to Scone and Dungog. The train trip is a mix of suburbia and country scenery, plus some great views of the Hexham "wetlands". Dungog is a nice town for an overnight, Settlers Arms is nice. For Maitland, I'm not sure if the Caledonian has accommodation these days, the Imperial is an option.

It has been ages since I have made my way around Singleton, Muswellbrook, Aberdeen or Scone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, springaussie said:

Not too many train services go to Scone and Dungog.

i overnighted in Dungog during Covid, 

Noce place. 

Yes, infrequent.

For Cityrail to Dungog, it is 5 per day Mon to Fri, 2 per day on weekends. Unless you have set times, that is convenient enough.

To Scone is a bit less convenient - 3 and 2. There is also the XPT and Explorer, which aren't much more expensive with a pension travel voucher or a country pensioner trip between Maitland & Dungog.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

There are some pubs, but I am more personally inclined to Noahs on the Beach. The Lucky Hotel would be my first suggestion, but it seems to have gone a bit trendy. Handy location. Same with the Clarendon. The Commonwealth could be a good fit.

City rail runs into the valley with regular services to Maitland & Telarah, and infrequent ones up to Scone and Dungog. The train trip is a mix of suburbia and country scenery, plus some great views of the Hexham "wetlands". Dungog is a nice town for an overnight, Settlers Arms is nice. For Maitland, I'm not sure if the Caledonian has accommodation these days, the Imperial is an option.

It has been ages since I have made my way around Singleton, Muswellbrook, Aberdeen or Scone.

How about the Grand Hotel?

Looks like a nice old pub for $130 a night in a quiet spot.

13 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

How about the Grand Hotel?

Looks like a nice old pub for $130 a night in a quiet spot.

Don't know much about the hotel, but it is a great spot at the top of the street where the current NRMA hail storm ad is done. Bolton street is a tad steep, so bring your walking shoes.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, hellokittyluver said:

Has anyone taken the Shore Excursions Group day trip to the Blue Mountains?

If you look around there would be private companies that do the same thing,that would give you an idea and reviews.

But unless you have been to Sydney multiple times and looking for something different.I think you could find something better to do.

How long do you have in Sydney?

53 minutes ago, hellokittyluver said:

We have 4 nights in Sydney, so I was thinking one day to the Blue Mountains.

I thought it was just a port day.

There’s quite a few companies that do it ,they will pick you up from your hotel and nothing to care about.