Volendam dry Dock in November

Does anyone know what they will be doing to the VOlendam while it its in drydock this year? Is it just  a mechanical thing they have to do periodically or will there be any interior redos? It is really getting to be old so not sure they would spend much, but i would sure love to have walk in showers in the SA and SB cabins.  Hate stepping over the edge of tubs but assume that is not going to happen. 😞  We are spoiled with the newer ships.

I seriously doubt there would be that serious a construction project as to change the showers.

Yes, there are mandatory regular checks, inspections, repairs and replacements,  not to mention the below water line paint. Other, relatively "cosmetic" things like carpets, furnishings etc, will likely also be done.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Rumer says that USB outlets are going   in the cabin . its about a 20 day dry dock, we know that the 2026 World cruise will be on her and maybe the 2027 .

While a 3 week dry dock will allow more hotel refurbishments, when a ship is over 15 years old, a 3 week dry dock is generally required for the technical items.

• Thanks 2

On 5/26/2024 at 3:50 PM, tgetz said:

Does anyone know what they will be doing to the VOlendam while it its in drydock this year? Is it just  a mechanical thing they have to do periodically or will there be any interior redos? It is really getting to be old so not sure they would spend much, but i would sure love to have walk in showers in the SA and SB cabins.  Hate stepping over the edge of tubs but assume that is not going to happen. 😞  We are spoiled with the newer ships.

Beleive it or not...While we were on the 2024 GWV a few weeks ago,  HAL President Gus Atocha (sp) came on board and answered a lot of questions.  One question concerned the Volendam drydock because Volendam is the ship for the 2026 GWV. Gus said YES, the step in tub/showers will be changed to low threshold walk in showers because "that is what our customers want".  I don't remember if he said the entire ship or just the high end cabins but for sure some, if not all, will be done during the drydock. IIR, he also said glass doors because he made a joke about the shower curtain sticking to your body and he doesn't like that. 🙂

Wow that is awesome.Wealmost didn't book the 2026 world cruise because i wasn't sure i i could take the step in tubs for 4 months. That is Fantastic news!!!!!!

thank you so much

My guess is that they are moving towards having what Carnival calls the "Ambulatory Accessible Cabins" which don't have roll-in showers, but only a low curb shower, and the step up for the bathroom, with grab bars, etc.  This is an inexpensive way to increase "accessible" cabins.

• Like 1

I was in a vista suite on the 2024GANZ and the tub was very dangerous to get in and out of to take a shower with  the very rocky seas we had. For safety reasons a walk in shower is better. The OV cabins already had the walk in showers so there is not a lot of cabins to be changed.  Safety first you can take baths at home.