QM2 Crossing review

Me from ME

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, S1971 said:

I'm always sceptical about regular Cunard cruisers giving positive and more balanced impressions, the same can be said for all lines "rose tinted glasses" comes to mind.

Just watched Ben & David's day 1, I thought is was quite well balanced and fair based on what I saw.

I was on the same crossing as Paul and Carole so I feel it was fair and valid observations. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I was on the same crossing as Paul and Carole so I feel it was fair and valid observations. 

That may be so, but the impression given in your previous post suggests that Ben & David's opinion not a true reflection, which having watched it I agree with a lot of their comments.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S1971 said:

That may be so, but the impression given in your previous post suggests that Ben & David's opinion not a true reflection, which having watched it I agree with a lot of their comments.

I was just offering an alternative view. I have no opinion on Ben and David to offer. Do their comments reflect your Cunard experiences as a matter of interest? 

4 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:
13 minutes ago, S1971 said:

I was just offering an alternative view. I have no opinion on Ben and David to offer. Do their comments reflect your Cunard experiences as a matter of interest? 

Expand  

My impression of Cunard now is that they are simply a mainstream cruiseline offering a reasonable cruise experience, but lots of cutback post covid.

Looking now at the food, cabin, bathroom etc, it no longer gives the impression of luxury so no planned Cunard voyages for me especially at those costs.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, S1971 said:

My impression of Cunard now is that they are simply a mainstream cruiseline offering a reasonable cruise experience, but lots of cutback post covid.

Looking now at the food, cabin, bathroom etc, it no longer gives the impression of luxury so no planned Cunard voyages for me especially at those costs.

Have you many/a few Cunard cruises under your belt pre and post Covid belt to make comparisons other than to read what others say?

We have and feel we are in a position to make those comparisons and I like to think although I am a serious lover of the product, I am also objective and I don't think, despite company blurb, since we started cruising with the company thirteen years ago, apart from QG, Cunard has never been in the luxury class as a whole.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Have you many/a few Cunard cruises under your belt pre and post Covid belt to make comparisons other than to read what others say?

We have and feel we are in a position to make those comparisons and I like to think although I am a serious lover of the product, I am also objective and I don't think, despite company blurb, since we started cruising with the company thirteen years ago, apart from QG, Cunard has never been in the luxury class as a whole.

I must say that, while there have been some changes since Covid, notably parties, I haven’t really noticed any diminution in quality. Oh yes, those horrid polyester bath robes, instead of towelling.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I must say that, while there have been some changes since Covid, notably parties, I haven’t really noticed any diminution in quality. Oh yes, those horrid polyester bath robes, instead of towelling.

There have been changes but then I think that can be said for many products, not just Cunard but as to 'lots' of cutbacks which would seem to constitute major issues, I'm afraid  S1971 is going to have to give of his/her experience in order to back up the 'lots' bit.

I like the new robes,cosy and fluffy but then I liked the towelling ones too and as for parties, we still have the cabin ones but as we gave up ship parties, apart from the very small ones, years ago, no loss there. 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, S1971 said:

So your opinions on the Cunard experience is just from watching and reading what others say. I get the impression you have not actually sailed on any of their ships yourself. 

Regarding cutbacks, just take a look at other CC sites of the premium and small ship luxury lines and you’ll read the same complaints about cutbacks, standards dropping, etc: Celebrity especially about sloppy dress codes, eliminating butlers (then bringing back, sort of), HAL removing its popular classical music space, Azamara changing their immersion experiences, even food complaints about Oceania, et al. 
As for YouTubers, a younger Scottish vlogger recently posted a very complimentary video series on his Panama Canal transit on QE. He pays his way too, no freebie trips.
So not all is dire regarding Cunard on the social media front. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, NE John said:

As for YouTubers, a younger Scottish vlogger recently posted a very complimentary video series on his Panama Canal transit on QE. He pays his way too, no freebie trips.
So not all is dire regarding Cunard on the social media front. 

Equally, there are some not so very complimentary vlogs, threads etc out there, if we are only allowed to post favourable comments on this board then it becomes almost impossible to get a real overview.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S1971 said:

Equally, there are some not so very complimentary vlogs, threads etc out there, if we are only allowed to post favourable comments on this board then it becomes almost impossible to get a real overview.

As have I with my compliments and complaints (and a few rants). Ben and David had high expectations (that is partially Cunard’s fault with their overly wordy marketing) and some things fell flat for their first day. The gnocchi — Please, please Cunard - learn how to make gnocchi or remove it from your menu offerings. Even in PG it was awful. 
Most  CC’ers here provide plenty of differing views on the Cunard experience but the most important part of this site is asking questions and getting answers from those who have had real onboard experience. The information I have received here has helped me greatly, along with picking up new tidbits also. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, S1971 said:

There are plenty of negative comments on these boards but comments which do not comply with our guidelines will be removed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

There are plenty of negative comments on these boards but comments which do not comply with our guidelines will be removed. 

Thanks 👏

Posted (edited)

I've been sailing with Cunard since 1977 and of two days ago, I'd assert my personal opinion that they remain very satisfactory in two key elements for me: cuisine and service.  The service we enjoyed on QV these last three weeks was simply outstanding and whilst in Princess Grill, we extensively used the Yacht Club, Chart Room, Midships Bar (Gin and Fizz) etc and found it exceptional, personable and efficient throughout.  Cunard manage to recruit and retain some exemplary people on board their ships. That's key for us. 

But yes the niggingly cutbacks are inccessant and especially noted in the Grills... and yes, the umbrellas are gone and there is literally nothing in the cabin except the necessities.  The lap rugs, beach towels, atlas etc all gone.  Halfway through our cruise, the fruit skewers and midday sandwiches offered on deck disappeared, too. No more sandwich caddies at the table for tea, either. And the deck tea is like that in Tourist Class on QE2.  Hot nibbles remain but only in the Grill Lounge but oddly the regular nibbles remain dire there and far better elsewhere.  Since deluxe is largely defined by the extras, however trivial, Cunard are treading perilously here I think and the Grills in so many inclusive elements pale to other deluxe products like Regent etc. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I've been sailing with Cunard since 1977 and of two days ago, I'd assert my personal opinion that they remain very satisfactory in two key elements for me: cuisine and service.  The service we enjoyed on QV these last three weeks was simply outstanding and whilst in Princess Grill, we extensively used the Yacht Club, Chart Room, Midships Bar (Gin and Fizz) etc and found it exceptional, personable and efficient throughout.  Cunard manage to recruit and retain some exemplary people on board their ships. That's key for us. 

But yes the niggingly cutbacks are inccessant and especially noted in the Grills... and yes, the umbrellas are gone and there is literally nothing in the cabin except the necessities.  The lap rugs, beach towels, atlas etc all gone.  Halfway through our cruise, the fruit skewers and midday sandwiches offered on deck disappeared, too. No more sandwich caddies at the table for tea, either. And the deck tea is like that in Tourist Class on QE2.  Hot nibbles remain but only in the Grill Lounge but oddly the regular nibbles remain dire there and far better elsewhere.  Since deluxe is largely defined by the extras, however trivial, Cunard are treading perilously here I think and the Grills in so many inclusive elements pale to other deluxe products like Regent etc. 

Strangely, the rugs, towels, and Atlas are all there in QA, but no umbrella. I don’t think the fruit skewers etc, ever appeared, though they did serve tea on the sun terrace. The in cabin canapés were different but nicer. On the other hand the Grills Lounge doesn’t have a view, which I would describe as a vital necessity, not a luxury.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

But yes the niggingly cutbacks

Agreed, it's all those small niggling cutbacks added altogether what makes the overall experience inferior to pre covid Cunard.

Edited by S1971
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Strangely, the rugs, towels, and Atlas are all there in QA, but no umbrella. I don’t think the fruit skewers etc, ever appeared, though they did serve tea on the sun terrace. The in cabin canapés were different but nicer. On the other hand the Grills Lounge doesn’t have a view, which I would describe as a vital necessity, not a luxury.

We had umbrellas and I'm sure they would be there for the asking.

32 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

When folk talk about 'the Grills' and how it seems to be full of niggly cutbacks, it really would help if to know if 'The Grills' was used as an overarching term used to denote a  PG experience or if 'The Grills' was referring to QG which is a different product from PG.

• Like 1

Possibly. But to me, luxury is defined by the having and not asking for or, indeed possibly not even .needing. I really miss the shoe mitt (well, I really miss the days of the boot boy and you left your shoes outside the cabin door on retiring and they were there the next day, gloriously polished... again, no ask, just getting).  

One wonders just what Cunard did with all this "hospitality" kit?  But on QV, it's gone and has been since last May. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We had umbrellas and I'm sure they would be there for the asking.

I’m sure they would, but I did notice in any case they were handing them out to those disembarking on one of the several rainy days.

21 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Possibly. But to me, luxury is defined by the having and not asking for or, indeed possibly not even .needing. I really miss the shoe mitt (well, I really miss the days of the boot boy and you left your shoes outside the cabin door on retiring and they were there the next day, gloriously polished... again, no ask, just getting).  

One wonders just what Cunard did with all this "hospitality" kit?  But on QV, it's gone and has been since last May. 

Luxury, as I have often spouted, is in the eye of the beholder.

Anyone used to travelling in the back of a plane and gets bumped up to First might consider that a luxury whilst anyone used to First might think it pleasant but nothing out of the ordinary just as the fresh air of a balcony when used to an inside might be considered true luxury, which it is in that case but as Cunard's PG isn't considered in the true luxury bracket, I'm hard pressed to see why the likes of the lack of a shoe mit really counts against 'luxury'. Yes it's a niggle but so what!

We don't have a foot file any more or the scratchy thing on the side of the bath but I have no issue with asking if not supplied and do not consider it a minus if unavailable.

Golly, I'm easy to please! 🙂

23 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I miss the foot file and the sewing kit. But I admit the latter was wasteful rather than luxurious. And I am happy they do supply a lesser version in times of crisis.

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Luxury, as I have often spouted, is in the eye of the beholder.

Anyone used to travelling in the back of a plane and gets bumped up to First might consider that a luxury whilst anyone used to First might think it pleasant but nothing out of the ordinary just as the fresh air of a balcony when used to an inside might be considered true luxury, which it is in that case but as Cunard's PG isn't considered in the true luxury bracket, I'm hard pressed to see why the likes of the lack of a shoe mit really counts against 'luxury'. Yes it's a niggle but so what!

We don't have a foot file any more or the scratchy thing on the side of the bath but I have no issue with asking if not supplied and do not consider it a minus if unavailable.

Golly, I'm easy to please! 🙂

Whatever one might think about QAs deficiencies, her baths are much superior to those on QM2 and somewhat superior to those on the Vistas in that they have a reading light above. Reading in a hot bath is a great luxury for me.

• Like 1

See, I miss the little bedside matt on retiring and the switchboard telephones at The Connaught!

I suppose one could have drawn one's own bath on QUEEN MARY c. 1952 in First Class but perish the thought or necessity to do it.

"Good enough" or "Well, I guess I won't miss it," is the first step on the slippery path to... paying the same or more and getting less.  In any class or category. 

• Like 1