Manhattan Cruise Terminal Pier 88 to LGA

Just found out our cruise is disembarking in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn on June 4th. My husband uses wheelchair assist and we will use a porter for our luggage to get through security and out to exit the terminal. In Brooklyn it was easy to use a cab or car service to LGA. Are there cabs easily available at this location? I don't mind booking Uber but never know exactly what time to schedule pickup depending how long it takes to disembark. Thank you for any help!

Thank you. Does that mean Uber can pick us up right outside the port? Not too difficult to get my husband to the waiting Uber?

3 minutes ago, lljost said:

Thank you. Does that mean Uber can pick us up right outside the port? Not too difficult to get my husband to the waiting Uber?

Yes and no. Technically Uber can't drive up to the terminal to pick up and the usual spot to pick them up is across 12th Ave. It's not as bad as it sounds. BUT I've had many an occasion (mostly on smaller ships) where they just let the Uber up the ramp and they got us curbside. 

Since your husband is in a wheelchair you can also select a wheelchair accessible vehicle in New York (in the app under WAV, you have to scroll to the bottom) which I'm sure could finagle themselves curbside at the MCT. 

4 hours ago, lljost said:

Just found out our cruise is disembarking in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn on June 4th. My husband uses wheelchair assist and we will use a porter for our luggage to get through security and out to exit the terminal. In Brooklyn it was easy to use a cab or car service to LGA. Are there cabs easily available at this location? I don't mind booking Uber but never know exactly what time to schedule pickup depending how long it takes to disembark. Thank you for any help!

May I ask which cruise ship you're on ?

Per the official port schedule (which is rarely wrong) the only ship listed to be docked in Manhattan that day is the Japanese ship Asuka 2, on the second day of a 2 day port call

https://cruise.nyc/MCT-schedule

6/3/2024 Asuka 2 NYK Cruises Japan  
6/4/2024 Asuka 2 NYK Cruises Japan

If you're on Island Princess that ship is scheduled to dock in Brooklyn.

https://cruise.nyc/BCT-Schedule

6/4/2024 Island Princess Princess Cruise Line

I am on the Island Princess. We were scheduled for Brooklyn. We received notice in our cabin today that we would disembark at Manhattan Cruise terminal port 88 instead. 

53 minutes ago, lljost said:

I am on the Island Princess. We were scheduled for Brooklyn. We received notice in our cabin today that we would disembark at Manhattan Cruise terminal port 88 instead. 

Wow...that is odd since Island Princess has four cruises listed as embarking and disembarking in Brooklyn starting June 4, the day you arrive, followed by June 14, June 25 and July 5. I wonder if they're all going to be using Manhattan instead. If not some passengers may be faced with split embarkation and disembarkation locations.

There was a recent NCL cruise making a port call in San Juan where the passengers were told the ship was docking at Pan American cruise terminal when it actually docked in Old San Juan as it normally would on a port call. As that was just a port call it was not as much of an issue, but it's an example of the cruise line giving out misinformation.

A lot of passengers on your cruise are facing the same problem you are. I hope everything works out with a minimum of hassle. The passengers scheduled to board the ship on June 4 obviously are faced with the same issue of rearranging their ground transportation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Wow...that is odd since Island Princess has four cruises listed as embarking and disembarking in Brooklyn starting June 4, the day you arrive, followed by June 14, June 25 and July 5. I wonder if they're all going to be using Manhattan instead. If not some passengers may be faced with split embarkation and disembarkation locations.

There was a recent NCL cruise making a port call in San Juan where the passengers were told the ship was docking at Pan American cruise terminal when it actually docked in Old San Juan as it normally would on a port call. As that was just a port call it was not as much of an issue, but it's an example of the cruise line giving out misinformation.

A lot of passengers on your cruise are facing the same problem you are. I hope everything works out with a minimum of hassle. The passengers scheduled to board the ship on June 4 obviously are faced with the same issue of rearranging their ground transportation.

And aside from the people with flights from the farther airport now, there are probably a few hundred cars parked at Brooklyn waiting for people now getting off in Manhattan. Interestingly, I was looking at a cruise the first week of September on Enchanted Princess and it said "Manhattan or Brooklyn" on the itinerary, and when I looked at the ports website, it didn't show that ship at either port that day.

39 minutes ago, DanJ said:

And aside from the people with flights from the farther airport now, there are probably a few hundred cars parked at Brooklyn waiting for people now getting off in Manhattan. Interestingly, I was looking at a cruise the first week of September on Enchanted Princess and it said "Manhattan or Brooklyn" on the itinerary, and when I looked at the ports website, it didn't show that ship at either port that day.

There are no cars parked in Brooklyn waiting for this ship to return. It's on a repositioning cruise that began in Fort Lauderdale.

There certainly are Enchanted Princess cruises listed on the official port website as departing Brooklyn in September:

9/7/2024 Enchanted Princess Princess Cruise Line

9/14/2024 Enchanted Princess Princess Cruise Line

9/21/2024 Enchanted Princess Princess Cruise Line

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

There are no cars parked in Brooklyn waiting for this ship to return. It's on a repositioning cruise that began in Fort Lauderdale.

There certainly are Enchanted Princess cruises listed on the official port website as departing Brooklyn in September:

9/7/2024 Enchanted Princess Princess Cruise Line

9/14/2024 Enchanted Princess Princess Cruise Line

9/21/2024 Enchanted Princess Princess Cruise Line

OK, wasn't aware it was a repo this week. I looked at the C/NE departing 8-31 and it's not listed on either port for that day, but is listed for BCT every other Saturday and the itinerary on Princess.com says Manhattan or Brooklyn (though to be fair, all the itineraries from New York say that). I suspect there is a typo with it saying Emerald Princess on Aug 30 and 31, considering it's on Saint John and at sea those days. Anyway, my point stands that it would suck to be someone driving and parking at the port and have the ship have to go to the other port that particular day. No doubt the cruise line would provide buses to the other port but that would still be a pain

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 4:08 PM, lljost said:

Someone posted on the Princess board that passengers have now advised the ship will be docking in Brooklyn as originally planned. 

Obviously the announced change to Manhattan was a nothing but a giant mistake on someone's part as it never made any sense. 

I hope everyone who has changed their ground transportation plans can redo them again with a minimum of trouble. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

This change was never a problem for us as we are just booking an Uber to LGA. We spoke with an officer last night at the Captain's Circle cocktail party. This was all on the Port Authority not Princess. Princess obviously had to deal with all the changes back and forth. They cannot control Port Authority.

Delta has done it again!! They have change our time flying out of LGA to 1:00 from Manhattan cruise terminal. I am thinking we should be fine, but it is on a Tuesday morning. Has anyone done this transfer with NCL on a weekday before?

4 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Delta has done it again!! They have change our time flying out of LGA to 1:00 from Manhattan cruise terminal. I am thinking we should be fine, but it is on a Tuesday morning. Has anyone done this transfer with NCL on a weekday before?

Super easy to do. Way more time than you need. It should take you a little less than 45 minutes on a weekday morning like that to get to LGA from the MCT. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 8:27 AM, lljost said:

This change was never a problem for us as we are just booking an Uber to LGA. We spoke with an officer last night at the Captain's Circle cocktail party. This was all on the Port Authority not Princess. Princess obviously had to deal with all the changes back and forth. They cannot control Port Authority.

Wow, that's really dumb, even for the Port Authority, who around here are known for not being the sharpest tools in the shed.  I believe it, but it's next level idiocrasy. Kind of like "let's build a new terminal A at EWR but let's wait for four years, OR MORE, to actually connect the existing air train to the terminal...it's more fun to make people take a 15 minute walk to the parking garage where there's a stop OR let them haul their crap onto a bus, with no assistance, and then haul it off, into the parking facility, up the elevator and onto the air train. Yeah, that's good cause we Port Authority execs can probably be driven to the ramp to board our planes but screw the rest of the world... yeah that's AWESOME.  Insert rolling eyes here.  🙄)

On 5/30/2024 at 9:45 AM, Nitemare said:

For Uber, just book it once you are off the ship.  SO many Uber drivers in the city, one will be along in just a few minutes

I took your advise. Waited until we picked up our luggage and stepped outside the terminal (Brooklyn) to order Uber. Driver was there in less than 5 minutes. Thank you!