Princess “Formal” Nights

Wiseask

Most of the people wear smart casual on formal night.  However some but not all of the people who wear normally  their baseball caps backward in the MDR turn them forward on formal night.

DON

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Serious question: is the “dress code” a little more relaxed for kids? Do I need to insist my 11 year old grandson packs long pants for dinner or can he wear shorts to the MDR?

I’ve never seen a child that age turned away but it wouldn’t hurt to be sure he packs a pair of pants. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Not disputing the accuracy of that statistic, but it surprises me. I could see most men very rarely wear a suit, but I'd have thought you need to own one for weddings and funerals.

Last year I had to buy jeans for my Iceland cruise. Otherwise, I hadn't worn long pants since 2016 when we visited Our Lady of Fatima Sanctuary in Portugal (Gate 1 Tour).

Coat and tie? Not in nearly 2 decades. I wear solid-color Tommy Bahama shirts and a pair of black slacks that slip over my shorts for the dining room. I also wear solid black Nikes instead of carrying dress shoes.

These items are also perfectly acceptable for weddings and funerals where I live. 🤙

• Like 3

On 6/2/2024 at 3:07 AM, Host CJSKIDS said:

Formal nights are only for the MDR and you will see many around the ship and at specialty dining dressed how they would on casual nights.  Some people also dress for dinner and then go back and change back back to casual after eating. Others stay in their "formal wear" the entire night.  You will see various ideas on what formal is these days.

You will find Caribbean sailings to be much more casual in dress than European sailings.  Many will be dressed just ike they are for casual nights and then there will be some in suits.  On the Caribbean sailings I personally see very few tuxes. 

You can have a drink at any bar you wish dressed casually.  Again, there is not a dress code suggestion for anywhere other than the MDR. 

You will find that this is a touchy subject on these boards so be prepared to read so many differing opinions!

That's interesting that Caribbean is more casual than Europe. 6 formal nights last year in the Mediterranean.. shorts and t-shirts were acceptable at all of them in the MDR. So it must be anything goes in the Caribbean! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I *strongly* suspect that the info shown above has been "forgotten about" by whoever is maintaining the website. Is that actually a "live" page that you can access by clicking a link via princess.com or did it result from a Google search? Many times Google will find "dead" pages that have never been deleted from the live site. That type of dress code has not been recommended for a very long time.

You know it might be a few more years before it catches up to the reality of life on the ships. In the mean time it prrovides lots of entertainment here on CC. 😄

8 hours ago, memoak said:

Here in Portland jeans and a button down shirt all all you need for these events 

Same here in Florida.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

I was hoping someone could clue me in.  It is like saying chinos are not allowed but casual pants are OK.   One difference I can think of is that thong style sandals of various designs are pretty much exclusively worn by women.  Whereas your basic flip flops could be worn by men.  Is it about seeing men's feet?  Won't hurt my feeling if that is the reason.  Or is it that they are simply deemed too casual? Safety hazard (men are clumsy)?  

I always found the jeans not allowed a peculiar restriction.

I think most lines were referring to only indigo blue jeans.

Same colour different cut/cloth(eg Chino)  OK.

Jeans in other colours OK

I wear my Levi 501 in white 

Denim(blue) skirts on women fine.

Reality for years is dress code enforcement has almost exclusively applied only to men.

Even full formal ships  tux/suit required,  women could dress like a $5....

Some lines still have significant gender discrimination in their policies.

Things like MDR closed shoes, no shorts are still common for men only.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, insidecabin said:

I always found the jeans not allowed a peculiar restriction.

I think most lines were referring to only indigo blue jeans.

Same colour different cut/cloth(eg Chino)  OK.

Jeans in other colours OK

I wear my Levi 501 in white 

Denim(blue) skirts on women fine.

Reality for years is dress code enforcement has almost exclusively applied only to men.

Even full formal ships  tux/suit required,  women could dress like a $5....

Some lines still have significant gender discrimination in their policies.

Things like MDR closed shoes, no shorts are still common for men only.

Jeans have been allowed for years as long as there are no holes and no frayed hems.  I don't think the color matters although I like the look of black jeans for formal night!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2024 at 2:50 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Stirring the pot, are we? 😀 

Let me get my popcorn...

My flip flops have rhinestones on them....it sparkly and I will call them formal wear! 🤭

I do not know if shoes have been discussed on this thread.  However on formal night I wear black dress socks w my black birkenstocks and they become my formal night shoes.  Saves taking a pair of shoes that I will never wear any other time on the ship.  Also if women can wear sparkly sandals I can wear dress birks.

DON

• Haha 1