Nationwide travel insurance ‘longer trip’ upgrade

dbjhughes

We have been using Nationwide’s FlexPlus travel insurance policy for a few years. This was previously underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd, but Aviva have just taken over the underwriting. We were on the ~100-day world voyage earlier this year, and UK Insurance Ltd charged us £156 for trip extension cover for the year. We are on QV’s 78-day South America circumnavigation early next year, for which Aviva are charging us ~£900 for trip extension cover! Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do we just have to suck up this new cost, or has anyone found a cheaper alternative? Many thanks.

Sorry I am not answering your question, but we also have had Nationwide Flexplus insurance and could you tell me please has the monthly premium gone up from £13 per month since it went over to Aviva?

1 hour ago, LEESRE said:

Sorry I am not answering your question, but we also have had Nationwide Flexplus insurance and could you tell me please has the monthly premium gone up from £13 per month since it went over to Aviva?

the £13 is the monthly fee for the bank account. Aviva now underwrite the travel insurance part. The monthly fee also includes mobile phone insurance and car breakdown cover. It's still £13 the moment. Plus Nationwide are in the process of giving their members £100 "dividend" which covers a fair chunk of that outlay. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

the £13 is the monthly fee for the bank account. Aviva now underwrite the travel insurance part. The monthly fee also includes mobile phone insurance and car breakdown cover. It's still £13 the moment. Plus Nationwide are in the process of giving their members £100 "dividend" which covers a fair chunk of that outlay. 

Oh  I didn’t know about the dividend is that for everyone ? 

1 minute ago, Winifred 22 said:

Oh  I didn’t know about the dividend is that for everyone ? 

not sure. There are certain conditions - current account plus a mortgage or savings account I think. We had a letter this week and details are on the website too.

2 hours ago, dbjhughes said:

We have been using Nationwide’s FlexPlus travel insurance policy for a few years. This was previously underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd, but Aviva have just taken over the underwriting. We were on the ~100-day world voyage earlier this year, and UK Insurance Ltd charged us £156 for trip extension cover for the year. We are on QV’s 78-day South America circumnavigation early next year, for which Aviva are charging us ~£900 for trip extension cover! Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do we just have to suck up this new cost, or has anyone found a cheaper alternative? Many thanks.

I was booked on this voyage but due to variety of reasons I can no longer be away for so long so sadly I will be cancelling and rebooking in a few years time if she does this itinerary again. I never got as far as sorting insurance out but would not have wanted to pay that much. It going to be expensive enough be having to pay extra for cruise cover for each cruise instead of the annual flat fee. I renew in October so will be interesting.

1 minute ago, elmsliebev said:

not sure. There are certain conditions - current account plus a mortgage or savings account I think. We had a letter this week and details are on the website too.

Oh will look I have flex plus and 2 savings accounts. Thanks 

When we have done longer trips than number of days covered by our Co-op bank insurance, I have purchased a policy to cover our extra days from a separate company and found it to be a much cheaper option. I used an insurance comparison site to research the costs from different companies.

Posted (edited)

Although the new Worldwide Flexplus Travel Insurance brokers Aviva will now cover for over the age of 70, plus gives you basic Cruise Cover now included,
sadly no longer do we get the ''add on a guest'' cover option.
(you can pay to upgrade for longer trips, more expensive trips, and enhanced Cruise cover) 

To the OP: dbjhughes
I assume you both have your own Flex Plus accounts as Aviva no longer allow you to purchase a guest policy.
So, is the £900 upgrade for one person>?

FYI

The £100 bonus payment to account holders is being paid out to us all soon on the caveat you had a minimum of £100 in any of your N/Wide account(s) on 31st March.
AFAIK you only get one Bonus payment pp.

Edited by rog747

1 hour ago, rog747 said:

To the OP: dbjhughes
I assume you both have your own Flex Plus accounts as Aviva no longer allow you to purchase a guest policy.
So, is the £900 upgrade for one person>?

We have a joint account. £900 is our combined total cost.

• Thanks 1

@dbjhughes A £156 surcharge for 70 added days was pretty heavy anyway, there must be a reason for that - perhaps a health issue ? But a £900 surcharge for 48 added days is waaay higher - has anything else changed ? Further health issues for you or a companion or a relative ?  The health issue worsened ? Or simply older by a significant birthday ?

A couple of general changes in the policy:

- the age surcharge for those over 70 has been removed - so my premium will go down by (>) £85 (?)

- the monthly £13 charge for a flex-plus account is (currently) unchanged and provides world-wide travel insurance including cruises, mobile phone insurance and basic car breakdown cover.  That's the bones of it, there are usual restrictions, excesses & limits which should be read thro.

JB 🙂

- the one-off £100  bonus only applies to members with a qualifying account (Flexplus) and a mortgage or savings account.   That rules me out, but it'll be trumped by the £1,000,000 that I'm expecting my winning premium bond to get in the next couple of months 😏

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, John Bull said:

@dbjhughes A £156 surcharge for 70 added days was pretty heavy anyway, there must be a reason for that - perhaps a health issue ? But a £900 surcharge for 48 added days is waaay higher - has anything else changed ? Further health issues for you or a companion or a relative ?  The health issue worsened ? Or simply older by a significant birthday ?

A couple of general changes in the policy:

- the age surcharge for those over 70 has been removed - so my premium will go down by (>) £85 (?)

- the monthly £13 charge for a flex-plus account is (currently) unchanged and provides world-wide travel insurance including cruises, mobile phone insurance and basic car breakdown cover.  That's the bones of it, there are usual restrictions, excesses & limits which should be read thro.

JB 🙂

- the one-off £100  bonus only applies to members with a qualifying account (Flexplus) and a mortgage or savings account.   That rules me out, but it'll be trumped by the £1,000,000 that I'm expecting my winning premium bond to get in the next couple of months 😏

Well actually that premium bonds prize has my name on it, they just keep forgetting to let me know every month. Must be a computer error 😂😂

18 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Oh will look I have flex plus and 2 savings accounts. Thanks 

Those who are eligible have received a letter and an email confirming the £100.  It's being paid into our accounts (we have separate accounts) during the middle of this month. Can't remember the criteria for receiving the money.

20 hours ago, Izzywiz said:

When we have done longer trips than number of days covered by our Co-op bank insurance, I have purchased a policy to cover our extra days from a separate company and found it to be a much cheaper option. I used an insurance comparison site to research the costs from different companies.

Watch out!

Most travel insurance policies require you to have their cover from when you're in the UK until when you return.  You should double-check, as you may find that the additional policy is worthless if it only covers part of your holiday.  In the event of a smaller claim, they may never notice, but for something much larger such as extended hospitalisation or repatriation, they're likely to check all the cover details before paying out, and those are exactly the instances when you really want it.

Hi,not sure if this is any use to you but we have the same insurance and I took mine out on 22nd March for a cruise and upgraded to cover  over 70s and paid to add on medical conditions.

I booked another cruise yesterday and phoned UK Ltd to ask if I was with them or Aviva and the lady said I will be with UK Ltd till my policy runs out next year in March.

Hope this helps if your policy with them for upgrades hasn't run out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2024 at 11:10 PM, Izzywiz said:

You need to check the wording of this extra policy very carefully. Most of them state you need to start your trip from home to be covered.

I've had a similar problem for my son, who is doing a Camp America type thing this summer (4th time!) and travelling afterwards. The company he does it all with covers him insurance wise for whilst he's at camp, but the upgrade to include his travel afterwards was very expensive.

It was actually cheaper to take out a backpackers insurance to cover him from when he left home until he gets home. Obviously if anything were to happen when he was at camp he'd claim on his included insurance for that.

I did look at policies that would cover him whilst he was already away, but again, they were more expensive.

• Like 1