Big jump in Shore Excursion pricing!

We don't cruise until next year, but I like to book our shore excursions and specialty dining early. Really glad I did especially where shore excursions are concerned. Paid $69.95 for one two weeks ago, it's now $84.95! Another has increased by $10 (which I guess is "reasonable" 😉).

Was considering one for $149.95 and decided against it as I thought it was too expensive. That one's now $179.95!! 

8 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

We don't cruise until next year, but I like to book our shore excursions and specialty dining early. Really glad I did especially where shore excursions are concerned. Paid $69.95 for one two weeks ago, it's now $84.95! Another has increased by $10 (which I guess is "reasonable" 😉).

Was considering one for $149.95 and decided against it as I thought it was too expensive. That one's now $179.95!! 

And just recently they had a 30% off excursion sale. Did you get in on that?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Prices generally go up or down depending on number of slots available. Supply and demand

• Like 1

As dog said, the shore excursions were on sale for a limited time and now back to original pricing. I’d bet you first checked and they happened to be on sale and have now gone back to original pricing. I refared our Princess excursion during the sale and saved $40 each. That would definitely be a difference you would notice!

We're on the Sapphire right now. We booked excursions months ago and all of them are now way more. Today's excursion we booked at $299 and it was waitlisted at $429. Whale watch we booked $189 is now $270. Ketchikan excursion we booked $39 is now $70.

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We're on the Sapphire right now. We booked excursions months ago and all of them are now way more. Today's excursion we booked at $299 and it was waitlisted at $429. Whale watch we booked $189 is now $270. Ketchikan excursion we booked $39 is now $70.

That is ridiculous. I won’t be doing their excursions anymore at those prices. Same as the SUN fares have increased for Sanctuary category since I booked months ago.

Posted (edited)

Yes there has to be a point when people just don’t do excursions. Even the private ones are getting expensive. And reasonably priced nice hotels at launch and disembarking ports are very difficult to find. 

but we recently went to Africa (not a cruise) and people were doing Heliopolis at $650 USD day after day. Some people just seem to have no limit! 

Edited by paddingtonbear

2 hours ago, dog said:

It was "up to 20%"in our country and most prices didn't move or were just back to the prices before they recently increased. A typical nothing to see here sale.

6 minutes ago, paddingtonbear said:

Yes there has to be a point when people just don’t do excursions. Even the private ones are getting expensive. And reasonably priced nice hotels at launch and disembarking ports are very difficult to find. 

but we recently went to Africa (not a cruise) and people were doing Heliopolis at $650 USD day after day. Some people just seem to have no limit! 

Funny you should mention pre cruise hotels- my 3 nights in London hotel is more $$ than my cruise fare.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, dog said:

That is ridiculous. I won’t be doing their excursions anymore at those prices. Same as the SUN fares have increased for Sanctuary category since I booked months ago.

Yep! And the banner on the Princess shore excursion page doesn't hide it anymore and says 'prices will increase onboard'.

We are going to Hubbard Glacier today so to do the excursion it has to be through Princess. We splurged on it given the rave reviews and we had OBC to use.

Side note we've been on a 8 day cruisetour prior to boarding yesterday and it's been fabulous. We've seen so much wildlife and have had a great time.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dog said:

Funny you should mention pre cruise hotels- my 3 nights in London hotel is more $$ than my cruise fare.

My post was supposed to say helicopter rides at $650 USD pp. 

Yes London has some crazy hotel prices atm too.  We have given up on visiting Toronto and Niagara Falls this trip to Canada New England because the price of the hotels was just outrageous and the time needed for the stays and trip to Niagara was just not worth it to us. Would have liked to have done the cruise/tour which looked really good and took in Niagara Falls but it was just not in our budget this time.

Edited by paddingtonbear

And now there's a 20% sale on shore excursions...... which brings them right back to where they were when I booked them before the increase. C'mon Princess, you're not fooling anyone. Or at least not anyone here. 😉

• Like 3

We are on the regal princess now, and we’re on the royal princess in December. On board pricing is much higher now.  The kind of excursions that were $89 in the past are now $129. We used to ( just six months ago) do mostly ship excursions. Now this trip we arranged all but one on our own , most being 50% cheaper. Kind of disappointing honestly. 

On 6/2/2024 at 7:33 PM, paddingtonbear said:

My post was supposed to say helicopter rides at $650 USD pp. 

You had me scratching my head on that one! I was about to look that up on Google! 😀

• Haha 1

Going on Caribbean cruise in October.  Received an email claiming 20% off excursions.   After reading some posts here, figured they’d jacked up the prices so there would be no savings.   Happy to report I was wrong.  We were looking at an $129 excursion previously.   When I clicked on yesterday it really did give me the savings!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, negn said:

Going on Caribbean cruise in October.  Received an email claiming 20% off excursions.   After reading some posts here, figured they’d jacked up the prices so there would be no savings.   Happy to report I was wrong.  We were looking at an $129 excursion previously.   When I clicked on yesterday it really did give me the savings!

Go ahead and book now at the lower price.  The prices will probably go up after the sale and may go up to more than the "original" price.  Some excursions for our Nov AU/NZ cruise went up so we booked.  Then they went back down so I cancelled and rebooked at the lower rate.  Now they are back up.  The three excursions that I had booked before the rate increase have gone up also. Currently we've saved $396 USD by booking early. Princess handled the rebooking with credit from the cancelled cruises and we received a refund on our credit card for the difference several days later. 

Edited by PR-Texas

On 6/2/2024 at 7:50 PM, dog said:

That was after a price increase 😡 Paid $229 for a recent trip then the special offer arrived and after the discount was taken off it now came to $299 😬

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

That was after a price increase 😡 Paid $229 for a recent trip then the special offer arrived and after the discount was taken off it now came to $299 😬

I just had a 20% off now- clamshell for 2 people $39.  I’m ok with that. $10 off.

It really does pay to book early.  We saved enough over current prices to more than cover the cost of our most expensive excursion! Six for the price of five works for me.