6/3 Quantum unable to dock due to weather, & unavailable tug boats

Good luck.  Saw lots of people still on their balconies.  Those boarding today will need to be patient while rooms are cleaned, etc.   Best of luck to you FW.  Gonna be a madhouse real soon for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was a 12 hour day, with the last passengers getting checked-in after 8:30.  Terminal doors closed at 9 pm.  Ship expected to sail at 10 PM.

Passengers were very accepting of the situation, and 99.9% of them went with the flow, which made working 12 hours bearable. 

Today was one for the books!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, crzndeb said:

The gusts seem to be getting worse up north also. I don’t like the wind, especially with the neighbors big trees around me.

We had 6 tornados last Saturday morning here in Northern Arkansas, very unusual and flat line winds which knocked down weaker trees.  We have 30 trees down on our property at the top of a mountain, some as big as 2 feet in diameter and 60-80 ft tall...WHAT IS GOING ON!

Edited by BecciBoo

19 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I am looking at Quantum from my office window.  It looks grim.  They're saying best case scenario is the ship mooring at 5pm but more likely 7pm at last estimate.  Anyone who knows pier 90 in Seattle knows that this is going to be a mess.  4900 debarking while another 4900 are all waiting to board at once, many of who are already at the pier.  Oof.  Not gonna be good. 

Quantum.thumb.jpg.eea833f48e73a1d757dab6c2dcd9b11f.jpg

@Aquahound love your view

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

It was a 12 hour day, with the last passengers getting checked-in after 8:30.  Terminal doors closed at 9 pm.  Ship expected to sail at 10 PM.

Passengers were very accepting of the situation, and 99.9% of them went with the flow, which made working 12 hours bearable. 

Today was one for the books!

Gotta ask a question.

In a situation like this, would the ship provide you guys with any food or anything (as a kind gesture)? Something simple like a pizza or 2?

9 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Gotta ask a question.

In a situation like this, would the ship provide you guys with any food or anything (as a kind gesture)? Something simple like a pizza or 2?

Our management brought in pizzas, which was very much appreciated.  Check-in was so busy that agents took turns of taking only 10 minutes or so to gobble down a slice or two to get back out there to get all the passengers checked in before 9 PM.  

The Quantum was busy loading all their food/drink provisions that were in the trucks that were also waiting at pier 91.  I am not sure how the Quantum handled their dinner service that night. This weather/docking delay caused quite a ripple effect.

It looked like the at least some delayed disembarking passengers were able to spend their time waiting to get off the ship in their staterooms - which meant the room attendants had to wait to change over the staterooms until late afternoon.  The ship hoped to have the staterooms ready by 6 PM, but changed it to 7 PM.

It was quite the day, and I think everyone pier-side and on the ship did the best they could for the passengers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Our management brought in pizzas, which was very much appreciated.  Check-in was so busy that agents took turns of taking only 10 minutes or so to gobble down a slice or two to get back out there to get all the passengers checked in before 9 PM.  

The Quantum was busy loading all their food/drink provisions that were in the trucks that were also waiting at pier 91.  I am not sure how the Quantum handled their dinner service that night. This weather/docking delay caused quite a ripple effect.

It looked like the at least some delayed disembarking passengers were able to spend their time waiting to get off the ship in their staterooms - which meant the room attendants had to wait to change over the staterooms until late afternoon.  The ship hoped to have the staterooms ready by 6 PM, but changed it to 7 PM.

It was quite the day, and I think everyone pier-side and on the ship did the best they could for the passengers.

We disembarked the Ovation last month and we'll be back at Pier 91 again in September.

Just wanted to say: "You guys are the best". Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The PNW gets some very high winds on occasion - even storms that rival Cat I-III hurricanes in their power.

Last September our Alaska cruise on HAL managed to just avoid a bomb cyclone off Vancouver Island, but we still had the roughest seas I've been on.

Can't wait for our July 1 cruise!  We don't mind some rough seas as long as most folks aren't affected by seasickness and/or delays due to docking issues - I don't want anyone's trip tainted by either.  With that said, we kind of like the roll of the ship in more active weather...