Vancouver Port Questions

Posted (edited)

I'm just wondering if  there a shuttle bus that runs from the airport to cruise port in Vancouver and vis versa? If so, can you pay when you board the shuttle or bus, using a bank card or credit card? Does anyone know a current price for a taxi from the airport to the port?  Also, does anyone know if the Pan Pacific Hotel still has luggage storage near the cruise port exit? 

Edited by cleobella
additional info needed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cleobella said:

I'm just wondering if  there a shuttle bus that runs from the airport to cruise port in Vancouver and vis versa? If so, can you pay when you board the shuttle or bus, using a bank card or credit card? Does anyone know a current price for a taxi from the airport to the port?  Also, does anyone know if the Pan Pacific Hotel still has luggage storage near the cruise port exit? 

The skytrain is Super efficient, buy your ticket as you leaving the airport is cheapest way. Yes pay with credit card.

Our first time to Vancouver last year we were unsure and after long flight from Australia, we just took a taxi to the pan pacific where we were staying for 5 days before boarding our RT cruise .

taxi is set price (at the time ours was $38) worked out by zones. If you google you will see how much today.

yes pan stores your luggage. Was $10 per piece, or for us $5 piece cos we stayed there.

Taxi price is now set at $41, and explicitly works in both directions - it used to be sometimes honoured unofficially by cabbies, but now they have to let you! In theory if the pier is not active, a cab from the PP (even thouigh literally same address) does NOT qualify for fixed fare... and a metered run that avoids rush hour should actually be less than $40 anyway, so it's no loss really.

I believe that we do have an independent shuttle again this year - but I would contact them to confirm what payment methods they take, and also to confirm that their website pricing is not a mistake! Last year, like each year before since Ace started operating, prices nudged up a buck or so - IIRC it was $23pp, small discount for seniors/kids. This year apparently it's doubled to $46!!! Considering a cab is less, that makes them almost as overpriced as a cruiseline shuttle with zero luggage schlepping included, so unless it's a misprint I simply can't recommend them even for a solo traveler - absolute madness!

As ever, if you can disembark with your own bags then you're strong enough to also use SkyTrain - it's a shorter walk than it was from your cabin to the curb, dirt-cheap even on a weekday, reliably the fastest (~26mins end to end, with service frequency as short as every 6 mins). If you need a vehicle, cabs still come under the pier but Uberlyft now have to wait on the street, about a hundred yards west on Canada Place, but unless Surge pricing applis should be a fair whack less than a cab (I'm mostly seeing numbers in the high 20s, low 30s of CAD).

If you've got a late domestic flight back east and want to store bags, PP is still the most practical and convenient (there are some other places that cost a little less, but need prebooking and might mean walking a few blocks with bags).

19 hours ago, martincath said:

Taxi price is now set at $41, and explicitly works in both directions - it used to be sometimes honoured unofficially by cabbies, but now they have to let you! In theory if the pier is not active, a cab from the PP (even thouigh literally same address) does NOT qualify for fixed fare... and a metered run that avoids rush hour should actually be less than $40 anyway, so it's no loss really.

We are staying @ Pan for two days after our cruise, would you recommend taxi over Uber to the airport and do taxis take credit cards?

7 minutes ago, ngrund said:

We are staying @ Pan for two days after our cruise, would you recommend taxi over Uber to the airport and do taxis take credit cards?

Yes, cabs take credit (Visa/MC anyway, not everyone takes Diners or Amex locally); personally I'd be riding SkyTrain, but if you want to avoid dragging your bags any distance then a cab is the best bet despite likely costing ~$10 more than non-surge Uber - with all the Rideshares effectively banned from pickups at the PP during operational cruise hours, if you're heading to YVR during the daytime only taxis can pick up right at the PPs door.

But if you're used to using Uber already, I'm sure the bell staff would help you with bags down the block to where the rideshare pickup is... and a few bucks to the bag-schlepper would still end up costing a bit less in total than cabfare as long as Surge pricing isn't in effect!

If you have an early flight, or an evening one, though rideshares should be able to come right to the door.

13 minutes ago, martincath said:

Yes, cabs take credit (Visa/MC anyway, not everyone takes Diners or Amex locally); personally I'd be riding SkyTrain, but if you want to avoid dragging your bags any distance then a cab is the best bet despite likely costing ~$10 more than non-surge Uber - with all the Rideshares effectively banned from pickups at the PP during operational cruise hours, if you're heading to YVR during the daytime only taxis can pick up right at the PPs door.

But if you're used to using Uber already, I'm sure the bell staff would help you with bags down the block to where the rideshare pickup is... and a few bucks to the bag-schlepper would still end up costing a bit less in total than cabfare as long as Surge pricing isn't in effect!

If you have an early flight, or an evening one, though rideshares should be able to come right to the door.

Thanks! Yes, our flight is about 9AM on Sun, would we have a problem getting a cab around 6AM or should I just reserve an Uber?

3 minutes ago, ngrund said:

Thanks! Yes, our flight is about 9AM on Sun, would we have a problem getting a cab around 6AM or should I just reserve an Uber?

I'd leverage the bell staff - while any given rideshare driver or cabie can blow off an individual fare with basically zero repercussions, no cab firms wants to annoy the concierge or bell captain of a big hotel! Cab Firm X gets a call from the PP to send someone over at 6am, it's far more likely to be timely than if you call yourself!!!

4 minutes ago, martincath said:

I'd leverage the bell staff - while any given rideshare driver or cabie can blow off an individual fare with basically zero repercussions, no cab firms wants to annoy the concierge or bell captain of a big hotel! Cab Firm X gets a call from the PP to send someone over at 6am, it's far more likely to be timely than if you call yourself!!!

Thanks again! This will be my first time being in Vancouver, and appreciate the insight.

We’re arriving YVR ✈️ at 10:00pm. If we take Uber to downtown, how far from the Int’l arrivals area is the pick-up point? Is it a further hike than where taxis depart from? 

On 6/4/2024 at 1:26 PM, Cbtours said:

The skytrain is Super efficient, buy your ticket as you leaving the airport is cheapest way. Yes pay with credit card.

Curious about your statement buying your ticket as you leave is cheapest.  

We used SkyTrain recently and no ticket was required.   Just Click on and Off with your SmartPhone Pay or Chip Card. 

I understand it can be cheaper if you have a Compass Stored Value Card taking advantage of the Senior Price.   Is this what you are referring to?    I just didn't think it would be worth the effort to save a buck.

If you use the ticketing machine at the Skytrain stations you can select "concession fare". You can still use your credit card to pay. There is no need to buy a compass card.

Hope this helps.

Dennis 

Just now, mattR said:

What does concession fare mean?

For us, we are over 65 and have a pension concession card. I’m not sure if other concession cards offer same discount.

A concession fare in the Translink system of which Skytrain is part of is for those over 65 - and those between 12 and 18. They are available to anyone in those age brackets and no ID needs to be shown as you are using automated ticketing machines.

• Like 1

Just used the light rail this past week and it was a breeze to board.  Disembarked the ship at 0800 and walked to the train station (not easy of there is mobility issues or a lot of luggage).  Purchased tickets, stepped on board and were at airport check in just before 9 am.  Not for everyone but we think it adds to the adventure.  Total cost $7.70 USD.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maggiev said:

Does the Skytrain stop at other hotels?
We are staying at the Fairmount (not on the water) & wonder

how to find the closest stop.

thank you

I'm just teasing, but, how about a Vancouver transit map?  It's a train, it stops at stations and some of those stations (actually many of them) will have hotels nearby.  If you mean the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver then Granville Station is 2 short blocks east and a block and a half north.  It's a reasonable walk if you aren't hauling too much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, maggiev said:

And where at the airport do you find it.

We are flying in & need to go to a hotel

The airport website is yvr.ca and it has maps that shows where the train is. I hope this helps!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maggiev said:

thank you

If it's a Fairmont downtown, but not on the water, then the eponymous Hotel Vancouver must be it as already guessed above - but Vancouver City Centre would be the closest stop, rather than Granville Station (which is almost as close, but isn't on the line in from the airport anyway).

If you take the correct station exit onto W Georgia, you have a straight shot less than 300 yards - cross Hornby and Howe and you're right there (if you can see Mountains, you're looking North - so go left to be heading Westward). But if you go astray and wander through the mall the station is attached to, popping out on e.g. Robson, it's no big deal - the Fairmont covers most of its block so it's readily spotted as the big castley looking thing looming over the much smaller Art Gallery building!

Personally I'd print a Google Map of the route if you don't have a smartphone, there should be enough detail on this short a path that you can easily read the street names if printed out Letter size. Virtually 'walking' the route using Streetview in advance is also handy, so you can identify landmarks on your path. If you do travel with any kind of WiFi enabled device, you can also use the free citywide #VanWiFi network to actively map your route and avoid getting lost.

7 hours ago, maggiev said:

4th floor - you'll arrive on 2, just look for signage toward SkyTrain and keep heading up until you run out of up to head to! The actual station is in the centre of the 'horseshoe', across the vehicle access roads below, but there are walkways toward both the Domestic and Int'l/US wings of the airport on 4 so you never need to interact with the cars.

But unless you are a solo, SkyTrain isn't a massive saving over cabs, Uber etc. heading into town because of the extra $5pp fee in that direction. Fixed rate cabs are $38 to that Fairmont, Uber etc. if not on Surge probably closer to $30, so if you're 3 or 4 people you almost break even compared to SkyTrain - and at night with no traffic, the drive time will be very similar, around 25mins.

• Like 2

Beat me to it while I was writing this... 😄

Definitely check the maps on yvr.ca as a first step.  

Since they can be a bit tricky to interpret because of the multiple levels, here's some additional instructions if you are arriving internationally:

As you flow out into the arrivals area on the landside, the main doors out will be to your left.  

Head out the main doors toward the parkade which should be about 50 meters directly in front of you (can't miss it).  You'll pass by the taxi rank on your left, cross a few lanes of airport traffic (cars are generally moving pretty slow and will stop), and possibly (if they are working) pass by the Japadog hotdog stand on your left.

Before entering the parkade, there is an elevator to your left and (the first of a series of) escalators to your right.  Take either (I think... as I normally only take the escalator) to the top.  As you walk towards the middle where the fare gates & trains are, you'll pass by the ticket machines.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 3:56 PM, maggiev said:

thank you

Only one stop down by the port.  There are other stops but it will depend on your specific hotel.

On 6/18/2024 at 4:13 PM, maggiev said:

There were signs at the airport - you will walk across the street towards the garage - lots of signage.  Ticket machines are at the entrance and easy to use.