Luggage

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I suspect they'd be less likely to inspect your luggage because it's less convenient.  No, they likely wouldn't be careful at all.  I once saw the ship's staff unloading luggage -- saw it through a door that shouldn't have been left open -- they were literally throwing suitcases down the stairs, and they just land on the floor, where staff on the lower floor picks them up and moves them.  

Yep, I'll handle my own luggage until I'm too old and infirm to manage it!  

Yes, a ribbon or decorative duct tape or whatever else is okay -- I can't imagine a small colorful luggage tag doing much good.  But it's not as good as the whole suitcase being a different color.  

I would guess that you are 180 degrees wrong.  They would be more likely to open your luggage because they will figure that you are trying to hide something.

I remember reading a while back that traffic cops watch put for cars that are driving very slowly and carefully because they feel that these people are trying to make sure that they will not be stopped by the cops.  S ame deal w the luggage.

DON

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I would guess that you are 180 degrees wrong.  They would be more likely to open your luggage because they will figure that you are trying to hide something.

I remember reading a while back that traffic cops watch put for cars that are driving very slowly and carefully because they feel that these people are trying to make sure that they will not be stopped by the cops.  S ame deal w the luggage.

DON

I'm not really buying that argument, as it assumes the TSA people are seriously dedicated to catching bad stuff going through.  I think they're just trying to get through their day as quickly /easily as possible.  

The reality probably lies with the individual TSA agent.  

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2024 at 2:55 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm not really buying that argument, as it assumes the TSA people are seriously dedicated to catching bad stuff going through.  I think they're just trying to get through their day as quickly /easily as possible.  

I find your criticism/judgment of TSA agents very, VERY offensive. Do you ever chat with them? Maybe pay them a compliment? It's a tough as hell job. I thank them every time. Sheesh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2024 at 5:55 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

You need to watch some of To Catch a Smuggler on NatGeo or Smithsonian.  Granted, they are HSI and looking for drugs, agricultural products, etc.  but they do care a great deal.  EM

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2024 at 4:15 PM, clo said:

I find your criticism/judgment of TSA agents very, VERY offensive. Do you ever chat with them? Maybe pay them a compliment? It's a tough as hell job. I thank them every time. Sheesh.

Sorry if I insulted your job.  I certainly didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. 

Do I chat with TSA agents, who usually have a line of people to deal with?  No, but I am pleasant as I go through, follow directions and use pleasantries such as thank yous.  

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

You need to watch some of To Catch a Smuggler on NatGeo or Smithsonian.  Granted, they are HSI and looking for drugs, agricultural products, etc.  but they do care a great deal.  EM

I've seen such shows.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Sorry if I insulted your job

I was retired before there was a TSA. But when people have a tough job dealing with frequently a-hole people I got out of my way to be nice to them. Even a simple "how's it going today?" or even better "I love your hair color 🙂 "

On 6/12/2024 at 2:45 PM, SoloAlaska said:

If you have a hard case then put stickers on it. Trust me stickers make it impossible to mistake for another.

Great idea!

On 6/14/2024 at 1:15 PM, clo said:

The last thing a TSA agent wants is for people to chat them up. They need to be alert and aware of what is going on around them.

Also, I'm not sure what this has to do with the original question of how a TSA agent will treat checked luggage with a luggage cover. They aren't even the same TSA agents since they work behind the scenes and don't interact with the public.

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I guess you haven't seen those news reports where people attempt to smuggle various things by TSA agents and succeed 90% of the time. 🤣

We used to have soft-sided luggage but it would get battered and the zippers would stop working. Plus I have not found luggage with two wheels to be particularly easy to pull on any surface. They were always flipping over, falling over, and getting caught on things.

I *love* my hard-sided luggage with spinner wheels. It does get scratched by the luggage handlers but so far it's held up pretty well. We do find the largest one can't be packed to capacity without going over 50 lbs. So we mostly take it on car trips.

On 6/12/2024 at 2:30 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I once saw the ship's staff unloading luggage -- saw it through a door that shouldn't have been left open -- they were literally throwing suitcases down the stairs, and they just land on the floor, where staff on the lower floor picks them up and moves them.  

This reminds me of when I qualified for an event in another state and so did one of our club's coaches. I didn't need a bike for my event but he did. He showed up at the hostel way late and without his bike. It seemed that the luggage handlers at the airport took his bike case out of the plane and proceeded to drop it from the top step of the stairs. (Not on purpose.) It was a soft-sided case and the bike did *not* survive.

5 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

The last thing a TSA agent wants is for people to chat them up

One quick compliment and I've had them say "you just made my day."

On 6/12/2024 at 2:55 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Like most things it is usually the few rotten apples that spoil the whole barrel.   I am not there to chat it up or make their day.  I just want to follow the process to enter the secured area and hope they are not negligent in their duties.  I know it is easy to sometimes paint the whole institution because of a few individual knuckleheads.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I lost my luggage in a poorly-organized move.  12 years of travel on airlines, and never lost or damaged. <sigh>
Mine was black - so, since it was soft-sided, I used acrylic fabric paints and stenciled a flower & vine pattern on the front and one side of each piece.  Easy to spot, and I got compliments on them.

• Like 1