NCL bait & switch to cheaper industrial ports?

3 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Barcelona is an excellent example of a huge city with tons of places to go and see.

They have a port shuttle for 3 euro ($4.50 round trip) that drops off at the Columbus statue at the end of Las Ramblas. From there you can get anywhere else you want to go.

I stayed in Barcelona last year for a week or so, only a few blocks from the statue. That’s a great centralized location. 

23 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Barcelona is an excellent example of a huge city with tons of places to go and see.

They have a port shuttle for 3 euro ($4.50 round trip) that drops off at the Columbus statue at the end of Las Ramblas. From there you can get anywhere else you want to go.

I've used that shuttle.  Well worth the cost.

If OP would be more specific, folks could be more precise in their responses.  Useful would be:

• Sailing date
  • NCL port schedule
  • Actual docking locations you believe were "bait-and-switch"
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I guess I'm trying to understand how "free shuttles" would work?  Where do you want these shuttles to drop you off?  

Most of the ports on the Baltic cruise have excellent public transportation, so you'd only need to make sure people can reach a major transit hub and then from there they can make their way all over the city.  

Helsinki was the only port we could have used a shuttle for my NCL Baltic cruise.  In Helsinki, we were told the only public bus within walking distance of the port ran infrequently and the port employees recommended a cab.  There was only one left, so the other couple waiting agreed to share the last one to Market Square so we were fine (NCL didn't have a shuttle 10 years ago).  A cruise shuttle would only need to run to Market Square, since Helsinki has an excellent public  trolley (number 3/4) nicknamed the tourist trolley, which takes a lovely, scenic tour of the city and stops at most major tourist destinations.  

In Tallinn, most travelers can walk to the top of Toompea Hill, but travelers with disabilities or those with children would benefit from a shuttle directly to the top of Toompea Hill where they could walk down and around the beautiful town (we took a cab for our 3 year old but if a shuttle had been available we would have taken that.  There might be limited demand, since many travelers are capable of walking to the top of Toompea Hill).

In Stockholm, we docked right in the heart of the city and the HOHO boats ran directly to Vassa, which was very convenient and easy.  We traversed all of Stockholm easily via public transportation, taking subways, trams, buses and public ferries so if ships are docking further away, a shuttle that can drop people off somewhere near public transport might be helpful (but I don't really know where they docked on the OP's cruise, so its hard to know if a shuttle should run).  They may have docked in Nynäshamn, but since there is already a public train close to the port I don't know if a NCL shuttle is necessary (that would depend on the train schedule, and since we chose the cruise that docked in Stockholm I didn't research it).

In Germany, the port was within an easy walk of the train station,  If a ship docked  further away, a shuttle to the trains would be helpful (but again I don't really know where the OP docked).

In St. Petersburg, we were met by our private tour operators in the port.  I don't know how many people got the visa and toured independently, but they'd need to reach the public transportation system.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Most of the ports on the Baltic cruise have excellent public transportation, so you'd only need to make sure people can reach a major transit hub and then from there they can make their way all over the city.  

Helsinki was the only port we could have used a shuttle for my NCL Baltic cruise.  In Helsinki, we were told the only public bus within walking distance of the port ran infrequently and the port employees recommended a cab.  There was only one left, so the other couple waiting agreed to share the last one to Market Square so we were fine (NCL didn't have a shuttle 10 years ago).  A cruise shuttle would only need to run to Market Square, since Helsinki has an excellent public  trolley (number 3/4) nicknamed the tourist trolley, which takes a lovely, scenic tour of the city and stops at most major tourist destinations.  

In Tallinn, most travelers can walk to the top of Toompea Hill, but travelers with disabilities or those with children would benefit from a shuttle directly to the top of Toompea Hill where they could walk down and around the beautiful town (we took a cab for our 3 year old but if a shuttle had been available we would have taken that.  There might be limited demand, since many travelers are capable of walking to the top of Toompea Hill).

In Stockholm, we docked right in the heart of the city and the HOHO boats ran directly to Vassa, which was very convenient and easy.  We traversed all of Stockholm easily via public transportation, taking subways, trams, buses and public ferries so if ships are docking further away, a shuttle that can drop people off somewhere near public transport might be helpful (but I don't really know where they docked on the OP's cruise, so its hard to know if a shuttle should run).  They may have docked in Nynäshamn, but since there is already a public train close to the port I don't know if a NCL shuttle is necessary (that would depend on the train schedule, and since we chose the cruise that docked in Stockholm I didn't research it).

In Germany, the port was within an easy walk of the train station,  If a ship docked  further away, a shuttle to the trains would be helpful (but again I don't really know where the OP docked).

In St. Petersburg, we were met by our private tour operators in the port.  I don't know how many people got the visa and toured independently, but they'd need to reach the public transportation system.  

Good points.  I found the same.....transportation in major EU cities is quite good.  Not sure where any busses would take anyone as there are so many places that could be considered a "major hub" within the same city.

If you're mobility limited, that would be an almost imperative need to get an UBER or Taxi vs a bus to get you where you wanted to go.

I found the trains in France, Spain and Italy to be quite good where I wanted to visit.  I know the cruise lines offer bus tours, but I mostly just booked my own transport.  

No matter where a bus leaves you (particularly only in a port area), more than likely you'll need to catch an UBER or Taxi to where you want to go.

The Caribbean is different.  The cruise ships dock at the "shopping" areas in places like Cancun and Cozumel.  I don't want to go to those places.  Matter of fact, it irritates me that you are forced to go through the port shopping areas just to get to a taxi.  

But, the transports from the ship drop you off at those shopping/drinking/restaurant port areas.  

If you don't want to go through that port shopping area, you need to book an excursion, either through the ship or with one of the independent tour agents.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

I agree with most of the responses here, cruiselines may need to change ports for a variety of reasons and I have never felt I was a victim of bait and switch.   However, to the OP's point, I do think the cruiselines could do a better job of explaining these changes.   As an example Celebrity moved us from Cobh (Ireland) to Ringaskiddy (which is across the bay.)   Cobh is more desirable.

I would just be curious, did the other cruiseline pay more money?  Was our ship too big to dock at Cobh?  is it weather related?  I don't feel like we got cheated, but just curious

Similarly, in Flam (Norway) our ship docked.   They let our cruiseline excursion passengers (only) off.  Then our shipped backed out and everyone else who didn't have a ship's excursion had to tender while another ship took the dock.   No explanation given. 

10 minutes ago, CCJack said:

I agree with most of the responses here, cruiselines may need to change ports for a variety of reasons and I have never felt I was a victim of bait and switch.   However, to the OP's point, I do think the cruiselines could do a better job of explaining these changes.   As an example Celebrity moved us from Cobh (Ireland) to Ringaskiddy (which is across the bay.)   Cobh is more desirable.

I would just be curious, did the other cruiseline pay more money?  Was our ship too big to dock at Cobh?  is it weather related?  I don't feel like we got cheated, but just curious

Similarly, in Flam (Norway) our ship docked.   They let our cruiseline excursion passengers (only) off.  Then our shipped backed out and everyone else who didn't have a ship's excursion had to tender while another ship took the dock.   No explanation given. 

OP seems to be complaining about which pier the ship had to use, not which port they visited. Two really different concepts. 

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

OP seems to be complaining about which pier the ship had to use, not which port they visited. Two really different concepts. 

OP has not been back and looks to be a 'one and done' pot stirrer.  We had a few on this board last week that seem to have disappeared after they shared their agenda. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

OP has not been back and looks to be a 'one and done' pot stirrer.  We had a few on this board last week that seem to have disappeared after they shared their agenda. 

And if they do come back, anyone who corrects them or questions their motives is obviously just an NCL cheerleader, of course.  Pretty standard script.

• Like 1

The port authority and pilots would have a lot of say in which berth a ship is using. You fail to mention if there may have been tidal issues, a cargo ship which may have made maneuvering difficult, unscheduled port maintenance etc. 

Lots of reasons for possible changes.

You can also look up cruise terminal schedules for an upcoming cruise which will indicate how busy it may be. NCL doesn’t have the priority in a lot of ports so they often get the less favourable berths when it’s busy.

28 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

You are assuming they have a choice and are saving money. How do you know that?

I guess I am hoping NCL would be honest about that. Ward Cove is the obvious one which now does have a free shuttle since there was a massive uproar when they initially tried to charge for it. 

21 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

I guess I am hoping NCL would be honest about that. Ward Cove is the obvious one which now does have a free shuttle since there was a massive uproar when they initially tried to charge for it. 

NCL purchased the property at Ward Cove.  It was an outlay of funds, not a savings.

They see the log jam at docks in Ketchikan, and started their own way out of a possible future cruise ship restriction.  And it sounds like more tours and and vendors are setting up there.

Was it a good move?  Only time will tell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

NCL purchased the property at Ward Cove.  It was an outlay of funds, not a savings.

They see the log jam at docks in Ketchikan, and started their own way out of a possible future cruise ship restriction.  And it sounds like more tours and and vendors are setting up there.

I guarantee they always planned to make (and save) money on the venture. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

And the problem with that is..???

Businesses typically don't plan on LOSING money when they make a capital outlay.

Whether they think it is a 4, 5 or 10 yr ROI is in their accounting.  What you can't account for is guaranteed availability during peak season, should Ketchikan start restrictions.

I missed Ketchikan once on the Bliss because of "high winds" before the Ward Cove purchase.  From what I have seen, Ward Cove is more protected, and maybe we would have been able to dock there.

2 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

And the problem with that is..???

Businesses typically don't plan on LOSING money when they make a capital outlay.

Whether they think it is a 4, 5 or 10 yr ROI is in their accounting.  What you can't account for is guaranteed availability during peak season, should Ketchikan start restrictions.

I missed Ketchikan once on the Bliss because of "high winds" before the Ward Cove purchase.  From what I have seen, Ward Cove is more protected, and maybe we would have been able to dock there.

I apologize, inferred from your post to which I replied that you thought they didn't do it for monetary reasons. 

15 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

I have a private tour booked in Ketchikan later this year. And it picks up at Ward Cove. A happy find for me!

NCL also invested heavily in Icy Straight Point, building a dock and skytram.

As some one with OCD when it comes to travel plans (yes we can spontaneous do something but I NEED to have a plan) I find it amazing how oblivious some passengers are. One couple on a South East Asia cruise were genuinely surprised they couldn’t stroll into downtown Bangkok from Laem Chabang, which was clearly stated as our port. The planning is at least half the fun.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

The port authority and pilots would have a lot of say in which berth a ship is using. You fail to mention if there may have been tidal issues, a cargo ship which may have made maneuvering difficult, unscheduled port maintenance etc. 

The Dawn (post #1) docked at the main cruise terminal in Copenhagen. This is where all cruise ships except a few small ships from a few luxury cruise lines dock.

6 minutes ago, Catchum said:

As some one with OCD when it comes to travel plans (yes we can spontaneous do something but I NEED to have a plan) I find it amazing how oblivious some passengers are. 

No kidding! I was in Iceland and northern Norway in July last year. Before the cruise lots of people asked about Northern Lights, hoping to see some. In July... 

I cannot count the number of people on "that other site! that thinks "London" and "Rome" actually means London and Rome and not Civitavecchia and Southampton. However clear that should be looking at the itineraries.

I do think NCL could be clearer in describing the port locations though. I too need to have a plan. My plans usually involves public transport. Takes som research, but often can be done!

6 minutes ago, Asawi said:

My plans usually involves public transport. Takes som research, but often can be done!

Ooh that is the most fun, trains to Athens, Florence and Pisa, public bus in Croatia - though at Laem Chabang and Port Klang I arranged a local driver to pick us up at the port.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 10:42 PM, fastpitchdad said:

Palma Friday June 14.  The ocean cruise dock was empty all day, NCL put us out where semis unload . NCL was charging $15 p/p for their shuttle,  but didn't reserve enough buses. Stranded a few hundred people in town and had to delay sailaway by half hour.

20240614_151937.thumb.jpg.014d75c4a49ecf3671dd6050c88e6979.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 14ersco said:

Palma Friday June 14.  The ocean cruise dock was empty all day, NCL put us out where semis unload . NCL was charging $15 p/p for their shuttle,  but didn't reserve enough buses. Stranded a few hundred people in town and had to delay sailaway by half hour.

Thank you for posting this.  Because the OP's original post was lacking specific details, it was hard to know whether this is a problem or just their lack of familiarity with cruising.   I'm not familiar with the options for docking at Palma, but hopefully someone who knows more can respond since you provided enough detail for us to understand the situation. 

4 hours ago, 14ersco said:

Oddly enough, that is the same location we were docked at on 2 June.  The other deck was used for large, local ferry ships, some with RORO capability.

Some dusk photos of the cathedral and Fort Bellvar.

KIMG2184.JPG

KIMG2186.JPG