New Cagney’s Menu…

7 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

I just got off the Gem this morning (Boston to Bermuda/Bar Harbor) and this is the menu we had. We went to Cagney's last night and earlier in the week.

We were told by the waiter: You can pick 2 appetizers, 1 entree, 2 sides, 1 dessert.

Thanks.  That's encouraging.  I need both the shrimp trio and the wedge salad.  I can live (healthier!) with steamed broccoli instead of onion rings.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

The Ahi Tuna is available in Ocean Blue.  We had it last week.

Trout is maybe not all that in demand anymore?  I never saw it ordered, so I don't know the serving size.  And it was never going to be "fresh" except maybe from NY or Boston ports.

The 20 oz Porterhouse is simply too much meat for 90% of the customers.

For US cruises, most non-perishable food comes frozen from central provisioning in Florida. That includes NY and Boston. USDA requires foods such as fish to be frozen to kill parasites. Even the “Alaskan Salmon” served on Alaska cruises has to be frozen before it is delivered to the ships. 

Dairy and Produce can be sourced locally. That is true of NY and Boston. 

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  That's encouraging.  I need both the shrimp trio and the wedge salad.  I can live (healthier!) with steamed broccoli instead of onion rings.  

We were told this both nights and heard it being said to the other tables. This was our first NCL cruise and I was going to try the fish. I guess i missed it by a few days.

47 minutes ago, Pablo Diablo said:

Food Republic menu is updated as well.  Presumably, NCL updated (or in the process of updating) all Specialty Dining restaurant menus.

For those interested, removed from FR's menu are firecracker shrimp (this was a favorite 😞),  tuna poke nachos, lamb kalbi gui (chops), ramen w/BBQ pork belly, dynamite roll & spicy pacific salmon roll,   

Noooooo!!!! The firecracker shrimp was one of my husband's favs and the dynamite roll, mine. Eeeeek - how will we ever survive? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Pablo Diablo said:

Food Republic menu is updated as well.  Presumably, NCL updated (or in the process of updating) all Specialty Dining restaurant menus.

For those interested, removed from FR's menu are firecracker shrimp (this was a favorite 😞),  tuna poke nachos, lamb kalbi gui (chops), ramen w/BBQ pork belly, dynamite roll & spicy pacific salmon roll,   

Well, there went three of my favorites, the tuna poke, dynamite roll, and salmon roll.  Darn.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

I just got off the Gem this morning (Boston to Bermuda/Bar Harbor) and this is the menu we had. We went to Cagney's last night and earlier in the week.

We were told by the waiter: You can pick 2 appetizers, 1 entree, 2 sides, 1 dessert.

Maybe that waiter didn't get the memo.

48 minutes ago, Jack Durden said:

NCL.com FAQ still says "An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert"

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Yes, but NCL is often slow to update all the places on their website where something is mentioned.  The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is doing.

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Noooooo!!!! The firecracker shrimp was one of my husband's favs and the dynamite roll, mine. Eeeeek - how will we ever survive? 

We feel your pain 😔 

I'm still missing the Korean tacos from  years ago and now the Firecracker Shrimp 😲

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I always ordered to apps and no soup/salad in the past. No change in dining package.

Is there a link to a change to the dining package? Or is it a bunch of poor assumptions. 

Is it an assumption?  Yes.  But as noted by someone else, NCL is historically bad at updating all information when changes happen.  I would be pleasantly surprised if they did not make the change I suggested was happening.  What you did in the past is not an indicator of future NCL.

However, this:

1 hour ago, slidemaster5 said:

is encouraging.  BUT, we need to remember that these menus have JUST released. It's possible they're still filtering things down.  You can't turn an aircraft carrier like you turn your Honda...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Yes, but NCL is often slow to update all the places on their website where something is mentioned.  The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is doing.

Then it might be a good idea to print the terms and conditions that NCL defined when paying for a Cruise.  Per that link (https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq), that quote "An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert" is included in NCL's "Dining Terms and Conditions".  Is NCL going to change their Terms and Conditions for existing cruise contracts, do other cruise lines change Terms and Conditions for existing contracts?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pablo Diablo said:

It appears the Le Bistro menu has been updated as well.  It also now combined Appetizers, Soups and Salads into one group.  Selections that have been removed include the pan seared bay scallops (appetizer)  , roasted maple leaf duck breast (entree) and marrons et clementines (dessert).

No new menu items have been added.

Now I'm mad -- Have Le Bistro booked twice for next month and planned to order the scallops and the duck. 

Changes to the Le Bistro menu:

Also combined all the appetizers, soups, salads together.

Loss of 1 appetizer -- Scallops

Loss of duck entree

But here is the most interesting note -- No longer foie gras with the filet, no supplemental charge. 

Priced $49

The lobster thermidor has a $25 supplement - Despite being priced at $49, just like the filet.  I really don't understand the logic of a $25 supplemental charge for something that has the same price as the other items, ala carte. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sailing the Gem, so only posting the menus I care about:

La Cucina changes as well:

Big changes here:

Old Menu:  8 antipasti items, 6 pasta items, 5 pizzas, and 7 entrees

New menu:  antipasti and pasta sections combined -- ONLY 6 items!!  So went from 14 down to 6!!!!

Beef lasagna, mushroom fettuccine all gone!

Pizzas down from 5 to 3!

Entrees still 7 --- Beef lasagna moves from the pasta menu to the entree menu.

Entree changes -- Red snapper gone (replaced with beef lasagna which is no longer a pasta course)

Veal scaloppini changed to pork scaloppini

Desserts down from 5 to 4,  no more chocolate tartlet

So huge changes at La Cucina -- About 11items removed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

Good onion rings I'd regret, but not those onion rings. Literally grade school cafeteria frozen out of a bag onion rings with zero seasoning. 

Mine were great in April.  But, then again, I sail steerage....😎

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

For US cruises, most non-perishable food comes frozen from central provisioning in Florida. That includes NY and Boston. USDA requires foods such as fish to be frozen to kill parasites. Even the “Alaskan Salmon” served on Alaska cruises has to be frozen before it is delivered to the ships. 

Dairy and Produce can be sourced locally. That is true of NY and Boston. 

That's pretty much what's been said at various Q&As or behind the scenes tours. Other than perishables, provisioning is done at embarkation ports. Except for Salmon, which does come from Alaska.

36 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

I'm sailing the Gem, so only posting the menus I care about:

La Cucina changes as well:

Big changes here:

Old Menu:  8 antipasti items, 6 pasta items, 5 pizzas, and 7 entrees

New menu:  antipasti and pasta sections combined -- ONLY 6 items!!  So went from 14 down to 6!!!!

Beef lasagna, mushroom fettuccine all gone!

Pizzas down from 5 to 3!

Entrees still 7 --- Beef lasagna moves from the pasta menu to the entree menu.

Entree changes -- Red snapper gone (replaced with beef lasagna which is no longer a pasta course)

Veal scaloppini changed to pork scaloppini

Desserts down from 5 to 4,  no more chocolate tartlet

So huge changes at La Cucina -- About 11items removed.

I guess we know where the laser is focused....

49 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

Changes to the Le Bistro menu:

Also combined all the appetizers, soups, salads together.

Loss of 1 appetizer -- Scallops

Loss of duck entree

But here is the most interesting note -- No longer foie gras with the filet, no supplemental charge. 

Priced $49

The lobster thermidor has a $25 supplement - Despite being priced at $49, just like the filet.  I really don't understand the logic of a $25 supplemental charge for something that has the same price as the other items, ala carte. 

I had the scallops the last 2 times. (And I am not a big seafood fan)

Sadly they were very small and only 3 of them.  Better to not even have them than to tease you.

I will miss the duck, although it has been 4 times ago since I had it.  It was a good change of pace option, but again was not a good portion, although that may vary by ship and time of dining.

41 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

New menu:  antipasti and pasta sections combined -- ONLY 6 items!!  So went from 14 down to 6!!!

And, iirc, only two items from the old pasta section, including risotto. No more gnocchi, for example.