Cabin on Lido deck? Bad idea?

Has anyone here ever stayed in a cabin on the Lido deck? It would be on the Discovery Princess. Can you hear the noise from the pool area? Or do they have it well soundproofed?

We actually love Lido deck on Royal class ships.  We either book one of the forward deluxe balconies or mini suites.  We are never bothered by noise from the pool area.  We like being close to everything.  We don’t eat in the buffet, but it’s a great place to grab a drink or some fruit.  I would not hesitate to book any cabin on Lido deck.

• Like 1

Ditto. We look for Lido deck cabins on Royal class ships — very convenient to pool deck activities/bars, and we’ve never heard anything from the deck when we’re in our cabin (though we do make a point of selecting a cabin a ways forward to avoid noise).

• Like 1

I purposely book cabins on the Lido deck.  Close to all the action, and very little noise or foot traffic.  I've done just about every category up there and all were great.

• Like 1

We had a balcony cabin on Lido on the Majestic and never heard a thing from the pool area. Ours was pretty far forward, and I'd imagine the closer you got to the pool area the more chance of noise.

Lido deck on the royal class is where we always try to get also. Never been bothered by any noise. DW knows she can always find me in the horizon court drinking coffee in the morning when she wakes up since I wake up around 4:30am...🤣

• Like 1

I would recommend looking closely at the deck plans for your specific ship. On some Princess ships, there can be substantial foot traffic past the first few staterooms to get to the forward lifts. However, you would not have this problem on the Discovery Princess. On that ship, people do not walk by the Lido deck cabins to get to the forward lifts, so you would not have that foot traffic. People do need to walk past L301 or L302 to get to the forward stairs, so you may have a little foot traffic past those two cabins, but not as much as on the ships where people are walking to the lifts. I would not expect any problems farther forward.

We had a balcony on the lido on a transatlantic on the Sky Princess and we loved it.  So convenient to get to the lido pool area and bar.  We did not have issues at all with movement either.  This was a November crossing.

Posted (edited)

I would be afraid of motion...  Have those of you that have posted not had cruses with quite a bit of motion on that higher deck?

I haven't booked that high since we were on a cruise sailing straight into gale force winds.

Have been on two cruises where the Retreat pool was shut down for motion and winds.  We were on Deck 15.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

Many years ago, we had a Lido deck cabin on the new Carnival Splendor when it was stationed in Long Beach, Ca. Very few kids and not a party cruise. We traveled up the Pacific Coast to Victoria BC and back.

Our cabin was quiet, and the ocean was calm.

Great location! Awesome cruise!

We love the Lido deck. I'd probably avoid the cabins close to the elevators (this is true on all decks) but otherwise it's a great location. That is, except when you want to go back to your room after a Princess Theater show. Long wait for the elevators or a lot of stairs up.

Specific to the newer Royal class ships, consider Sun deck. 
You have a pool, bar and are close to the Sanctuary.

Opening your cabin door to see through the glass wall to the outside beats the traditional narrow hallways.
As a bonus, those cabins have slightly deeper balconies.  

13 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I would be afraid of motion...  Have those of you that have posted not had cruses with quite a bit of motion on that higher deck?

All of the cruises we've done on the Royal class ships have been in high deck cabins and far forward. We like motion, but we've never had any significant motion on these cruises. I realize that others may have other experiences.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lgonquin said:

Specific to the newer Royal class ships, consider Sun deck. 
You have a pool, bar and are close to the Sanctuary.

Opening your cabin door to see through the glass wall to the outside beats the traditional narrow hallways.
As a bonus, those cabins have slightly deeper balconies.  

I had to go have a look on Youtube as I wasn't sure what you meant about the glass wall, and you are right. That is beautiful! And stepping outside your cabin and being at the Retreat pool would be great, unfortunately there are no deluxe balcony cabins up there.

I believe that those cabins beside the Retreat Pool have slightly larger/deeper balconies too.

I actually hate that they did this to the adult area on the ship....  All for the addition of a few small standard balconies.  Ugggghhhh....  

I think they charge more for these, too.  Not the same price as other forward higher-deck cabins.

Posted (edited)

First cabin off the hallway on the Lido deck, I had L301(balcony cabin with an angled balcony- bigger balcony than a regular balcony), on the Sky and have booked it again for 2026.

Only steps from the elevator, and automatic door to the Lido area - pool, hot tubs, bar, hamburgers, pizza, loungers, buffet 

On the first night the hallway door was left closed, we heard the door as people let the door slam.  The following nights when we returned to our cabin for the night, I left the hallway door open and never heard the door again.

Very few times, we heard people walking down the hallway to their cabin.  You would have the same problem wherever your cabin is, unless your cabin is one of the last cabin in the front or aft of the ship.

Edited by phabric

Well, I did it. I decided to go ahead and book a deluxe balcony on the Lido deck on the Discovery Princess based on most people's recommendations here. 

Thanks everyone!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, PG_traveller said:

Well, I did it. I decided to go ahead and book a deluxe balcony on the Lido deck on the Discovery Princess based on most people's recommendations here. 

Thanks everyone!

Congrats!  Please come back and tell us what you thought of your cabin.

If you find that you can’t book a specific deluxe cabin for your sailing and only guarantee is available, call your travel agent or  Princess cruise consultant.  Princess tends to hold these back for triple occupancy.  Do a mock booking, select three passengers and see which cabins are still available.  Call and request this cabin for two passengers.  You should have no problem doing this.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Congrats!  Please come back and tell us what you thought of your cabin.

If you find that you can’t book a specific deluxe cabin for your sailing and only guarantee is available, call your travel agent or  Princess cruise consultant.  Princess tends to hold these back for triple occupancy.  Do a mock booking, select three passengers and see which cabins are still available.  Call and request this cabin for two passengers.  You should have no problem doing this.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have run into that problem many times, but for some reason on this sailing I was able to choose my cabin.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PG_traveller said:

I have run into that problem many times, but for some reason on this sailing I was able to choose my cabin.

Awesome!  Enjoy your cabin.