Dining - Solstice Class v Edge Class - Help please

We have taken several cruises on Solstice class ships (Silhouette / Eclipse) and our normal modus operandi has been to book a veranda cabin (add AI for drinks / WiFi / tips etc) and then usually purchase a dining package for approx 50% of the dinners.  On this basis on a cruise of 14 nights we would aim to eat in the MDR approx 7 times and on 7 occasions (alternate evenings with the MDR) eat in one of the speciality restaurants (Murano / Tuscan grill etc).  We book the 7 nights in the speciality restaurants once on board and usually have been ok getting generally what we want.  

Am now about to book the Apex (Edge class) and so looking for advice as to how to manage the dining.  I understand there are several MDRs as well as some speciality restaurants.  When and how should I be booking all of these and do I need a package (as above). 

Any help / advice would be appreciated.    

18 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

I understand there are several MDRs as well as some speciality restaurants.  When and how should I be booking all of these and do I need a package (as above). 

Each of the four MDR's have specialties unique to that restaurant as well as common items across all restaurants. 

As with the S class ships, if you get the dining package you cannot book date/time until you are onboard.  If you buy each meal separately you can book date/time at the time of purchase. 

If you are willing to accept the chance that you will not be able to get the date/time you want in the specialty restaurants, you can save money buying the package and then booking the meals once onboard. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

If you are willing to accept the chance that you will not be able to get the date/time you want in the specialty restaurants, you can save money buying the package and then booking the meals once onboard. 

Appreciate this - but generally when on board Silhouette and Eclipse we have not had too much difficulty getting reservations when we wanted them. 

Are there any particular restaurants on the E class ships which are very popular (and so we would be best advised to book in advance pre boarding ?)  

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Appreciate this - but generally when on board Silhouette and Eclipse we have not had too much difficulty getting reservations when we wanted them. 

Are there any particular restaurants on the E class ships which are very popular (and so we would be best advised to book in advance pre boarding ?)  

Eden is the most popular.  It can be difficult to get reservations on board

• Thanks 1

We did only one specialty restaurant on our B2B Apex cruise since we rotated the MDR and enjoyed them all.  Next cruise we are going to eat in Eden for my birthday and may add sushi if we want.

All 4 dining rooms are Select dining. If you find a location you want, you can reserve it for the rest of the cruises. Also, no matter in which you are dining, you can order the "specialties" from the other 3 DR's if you wish. We had a very enjoyable  dining experience in Cypress on Beyond recently. Great service.

I’m following this closely as I’m in the opposite situation, having sailed both Apex and Ascent but not S class yet (M class pre-pandemic.) I’ll be on Eclipse January 2024. I cannot compare against S class but I can tell you that we loved the Anytime dining on E class and didn’t feel the need for any specialty restaurants. Not only the food but the differing themes and atmosphere. We did try Eden on Apex and enjoyed it. We also tried the outdoor barbecue on Ascent. Personally I feel the specialties offer too much food and I guess I feel the pressure to get my money’s worth but maybe that is just me. However I am a little worried that I will find the main dining lacking on Eclipse so wondering about a dining package. As a reference, I find the main dining on Royal lacking but that specialty restaurants help make up for it. 

I agree with the other poster that you can always add some specialty restaurants after boarding but you should book Eden beforehand if you know you want to try it. Eden will not leave you over filled, though. It is more about presentation and flavors over quantity. 

On 6/11/2024 at 2:27 AM, Koohiichan said:

I agree with the other poster that you can always add some specialty restaurants after boarding but you should book Eden beforehand if you know you want to try it. Eden will not leave you over filled, though. It is more about presentation and flavors over quantity. 

Thanks you all for your guidance as to the dining on the Edge class. Sounds like I will be booking Eden before we sail (as definitely will want to try it) but perhaps hold fire on the other speciality restaurants until we are on board (and perhaps sample the four MDRs first).

As regards the MDR on the Eclipse, I suspect you may be underwhelmed.  Its OK - but the food gets boring (which is why we tend to alternate between it and a speciality for our evening meals).    

• Like 1

Hi. I’ll be sailing on The Edge June 21-28. I reserved all my MDR dinners a few months ago, dining room and time. Also Eden. All of these show up correctly on my calendar in the app now that sail time is near. Are you saying they’re not real reservations and I’ll need to rebook my MDR dinner choices once onboard? Thanks for responding, those that know…

AnnieHawk, my experience is that it is definitely  possible to make a reservation online for your dinner time. It’s up to you. To me, it sounds like you are all set. On Ascent this past  January on a sold out ship for NYE, we had no problem showing up and getting in, practically, right away. On E class, if one dining room is busy, just walk across the hall or up/down a level to a another, as it may be less busy.