Royal Up bids NOT accepted...just curious

Just now, island lady said:

I have the answer here.  

image.jpeg.78f727bd74bcbdf53a60b5945b4de1b5.jpeg

It's the opposite of this. They are using massive amounts of data obtained about you to decide whether or not you will spend more, be more loyal, etc etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, marci22 said:

It's the opposite of this. They are using massive amounts of data obtained about you to decide whether or not you will spend more, be more loyal, etc etc. 

I assume everyone either gets an e-mail or can log in to the royal up site (if within 30 days) to participate.  The ability to participate has no relation to how much you may have bid in the past or how much you may spend on the ship.  I believe the determination of "winning" is based upon the "waterfall" of how other bids maximize the commission and additional profit to RCI.  Again, I doubt RCI freely shares its internal data on individual passenger spending with anyone else.  Knowing RCI's IT department we may be giving them too much credit to even track this themselves 😁

Now, I am sure they use the meta data they collect about everyone who bids to help them set a minimum bid amount for any particular upgrade.  For example, on one royal up the minimum bid for a balcony to a JS was $100.  On another cruise I went on, which had approximately the same pre-sail inventory for JS, the minimum bid was $600.  I am sure they have a rhyme or reason to how these minimum bids get determined based upon the data they have collected over the last few years.

If I like my current oom, I normally won't bid.  I will also check the sail date to see if there is available inventory for a higher category for a cabin.  If they are not in an objectionable area, then I will usually bid.  I know I may not get those particular cabins (depending on the "waterfall" effect but its a "risk" I take.  Anecdotally,   I will say everytime that I have "won" and been upgraded to a GS or higher, it has been one that was previously shown as available.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I assume everyone either gets an e-mail or can log in to the royal up site (if within 30 days) to participate.

Some TAs don't participate so that anyone booked with them can't bid.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Anecdotally,   I will say everytime that I have "won" and been upgraded to a GS or higher, it has been one that was previously shown as available.

To add balance: anecdotally, I will say each time I have won and been upgraded to a GS or higher, it has not been one that was previously shown as available.  Mine seem to have been cancellations and/or vacancies generated during “waterfall” upgrades. YMMV.

Edited by Starry Eyes

1 hour ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I assume everyone either gets an e-mail or can log in to the royal up site (if within 30 days) to participate.  The ability to participate has no relation to how much you may have bid in the past or how much you may spend on the ship.  I believe the determination of "winning" is based upon the "waterfall" of how other bids maximize the commission and additional profit to RCI.  Again, I doubt RCI freely shares its internal data on individual passenger spending with anyone else.  Knowing RCI's IT department we may be giving them too much credit to even track this themselves 😁

Now, I am sure they use the meta data they collect about everyone who bids to help them set a minimum bid amount for any particular upgrade.  For example, on one royal up the minimum bid for a balcony to a JS was $100.  On another cruise I went on, which had approximately the same pre-sail inventory for JS, the minimum bid was $600.  I am sure they have a rhyme or reason to how these minimum bids get determined based upon the data they have collected over the last few years.

If I like my current oom, I normally won't bid.  I will also check the sail date to see if there is available inventory for a higher category for a cabin.  If they are not in an objectionable area, then I will usually bid.  I know I may not get those particular cabins (depending on the "waterfall" effect but its a "risk" I take.  Anecdotally,   I will say everytime that I have "won" and been upgraded to a GS or higher, it has been one that was previously shown as available.

My next cruise is July 10th.  Still cannot submit bid.  Standard response being "within 30 days or correct information".  Yes, I know my last name and cruise reservation #.   Yes, it is under 30 days.  Stupid IT set up.  😑

2 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Again, I doubt RCI freely shares its internal data on individual passenger spending with anyone else.  Knowing RCI's IT department we may be giving them too much credit to even track this themselves 😁

"As the largest ancillary revenue travel platform, Plusgrade has a wealth of permissioned information for analysis." They explain this in the article.

"Wealth of permissioned information" = your data. Can come from anywhere. Maybe you're a gambler. Maybe you tend to upgrade your seat when you fly. Maybe you're a new cruiser who has only booked rooms vs suites. 

So much data that they can apply to determine not only how much money they can make right now but also how they can turn you into a higher-spending/loyal customer for their client, Royal Caribbean, or any travel/vacation provider.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2024 at 8:42 AM, robmtx said:

The highest bidder may not always win. Your bid is just part of the larger puzzle that needs to be considered when they are finalizing Upgrades.

Example:

Passenger #1 is in an Oceanview Category and bid on a JS for $400.

Passenger #2 is in a balcony and bid on a JS for $350.

Logic would say they would take the $400 offer. But they don't..

Passenger #3 is in an inside and bid $100 for an OV, and $250 for a Balcony.

By upgrading Pax #2 for $350, that frees up a balcony stateroom for Pax #3 at $250 = $600 revenue

If they had gone with Pax #1 offer of $400 and Pax #3 offer of $100 for the newly opened OV, the revenue drops to $500.

I know - very rough example but you get the idea. It's all about how the puzzle creates the MOST revenue for the entire sailing, not just a single cabin. So in this case, the higher bidder for a JS does lose out.

Well expressed.  This is the way I’ve figured it also.  Given this likely ways and means of the system, I take no issues when I don’t win.  I just figure that there was a better ‘income branch’, so to speak.

We are 1 for 3 on RU bids. We bid the minimum each time. On our Harmony B2B we were upgraded from a JS to a Crown Loft Suite for the first week and not our second week. Total bid was $200 for the upgrade. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 12:43 PM, Biker19 said:

Some TAs don't participate so that anyone booked with them can't bid.

So if I received an offer to bid an upgrade on the RC site that means it won't be blocked and I can bid...which I did. 🤞

On 6/14/2024 at 12:39 PM, marci22 said:

Not in our case, over 50% win. We don't even use all of our diamond+ drinks. On a 7 night cruise, dh will put no more than $100 all together in the slots and me about $40. Besides slots our total bill is $0.

I have bid two, maybe three times - and been successful once.  It was last September on our Explorer of the Seas sailing (so older ship, shoulder season Adriatic sailing).  We went from a well-positioned balcony to an aft JS for $275 a person which was $25 pp over the minimum bid.  As the cabin was on Deck 6 our immediate view was a large part of the super structure.  Obviously we still had water views, but at more of a distance.  The extra space was nice, but not necessary.  I wasn't overly bothered by the super structure, but it was a port intensive sailing.  I probably wouldn't bid again if it's just the two of us.

Question:  We booked a Junior Suite (through our TA) for an upcoming cruise with one complimentary specialty dinner and a $100 cabin credit.  If using Royal Up

we bid on higher category suites, and if by some miracle we win our bid, are we able to keep our cabin credit and comp dinner?

10 hours ago, FrannyK said:

If using Royal Up we bid on higher category suites, and if by some miracle we win our bid, are we able to keep our cabin credit and comp dinner?

Yes, that perk should stay with the booking though only the TA can confirm.

• Thanks 1