Comparing Cunard with P&O

1 minute ago, Cruising Nomads said:

No more Money Spider wine either

😱 Both Jam Shed Shiraz and Money Spider were Glasshouse only, not MDR, but if they’ve both gone that’s a real shame. That just leaves me with Peller Ice Cuvée and Silk & Spice. Please - nobody tell me that they have gone as well or I shall need counselling 😂 

• Haha 3

I was really fed up last week on Britannia to discover that the Peller Rose Ice Cuvée is no longer on the Glass House menu. However, the white Ice Cuvée is still available. The Peller rose had always been my pre-dinner wine choice and so I was really disappointed to be told it was no longer stocked because the wine menus had recently been changed. 

16 hours ago, Selbourne said:

😱 Both Jam Shed Shiraz and Money Spider were Glasshouse only, not MDR, but if they’ve both gone that’s a real shame. That just leaves me with Peller Ice Cuvée and Silk & Spice. Please - nobody tell me that they have gone as well or I shall need counselling 😂 

Both available on Britannia 2 or 3 weeks ago; silk and spice is my favourite.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clodia said:

Both available on Britannia 2 or 3 weeks ago; silk and spice is my favourite.

They won’t be getting restocked just using them up I think

@Selbourne, as we have come to expect from you, a well balanced review; thanks.

As we are in the same boat as you and your good lady, it is disappointing that a modern cruise ship, which came into service four years after Iona, cannot match it for accessible features. 

Incidentally, were any of the public toilets touch free?

You don't mention anything about the proximity of neighbouring tables to yours; how was that?

6 minutes ago, TigerB said:

@Selbourne, as we have come to expect from you, a well balanced review; thanks.

As we are in the same boat as you and your good lady, it is disappointing that a modern cruise ship, which came into service four years after Iona, cannot match it for accessible features. 

Incidentally, were any of the public toilets touch free?

You don't mention anything about the proximity of neighbouring tables to yours; how was that?

The accessible public toilets on Queen Anne had the same (complicated) touch mechanisms as on Iona, but none of them had drop down grab rails. There didn’t appear to be a drop down grab rail anywhere on the ship. The rather bizarre design was to have a fixed wall mounted rail around virtually the entire room, including areas where it would never be used. This was the same as the bathroom in our accessible cabin which, as I’ve mentioned, my wife struggled with. 

As for table spacing, Britannia Club was excellent. There was no banquette seating, but some tables for 2 along walls were spaced around 2ft apart. We were offered one of those but declined it. We had a table for 2 that was between a table of 4 and a table of 2. I’d say that we were a good 5-6ft apart from them. Oddly, the table spacing in Britannia Club was better than the (much more expensive) Grills restaurants, which even had banquettes (which Club didn’t). Some grills passengers commented that Club seems to be the sweet spot in this respect. The restaurant manager has made a note that we’d like the same table for our November cruise (we debated cancelling it based on the accessibility challenges, but the November cruise is much cheaper (cheaper than the normal balcony prices on Aurora) so, unless my wife takes a turn for the worse, we are going to go, but take some aids with us to assist me lifting her if she gets stuck again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps the fixed grab bars may be something to do with the ships trying to appeal to American cruisers; after all, in our experience accessible public toilets and hotel bathrooms in the US tend to have very few adjustable grab bars, and the fixed ones are annoyingly hardly ever in the correct position.