Two Oasis class ships at CocoCay

We are sailing on Wonder this coming Feb. and noticed that Symphony will be at CocoCay on the same day. Has anyone experienced this? Did it seem overcrowded? Any areas to avoid? 

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Unless you don't like to get off until late morning you won't have any issues.

10am right now with adventure and icon in port and the place feels dead

We usually try to get off as early as possible and head to South Beach.

Posted (edited)

IMO if it is good weather, the likelihood is it will feel crowded.  It has been crowded in some of our recent experiences with smaller ships in port with an Oasis class ship. It also would depend on how many remain on board.

CocoCay to my understanding was designed to handle 12,000+ people (two Oasis class ships) but that would be maximum capacity. 

Different experiences may vary.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, NoShoes2 said:

We usually try to get off as early as possible and head to South Beach.

You should be fine as far as getting your preferred lounger area. Same experience for me in recent months as @smokeybandit mentioned above. The majority of people just aren't waking up and getting off the ship at 8am or whenever the gangway opens.

Will it be crowded later? Sure, but to me that just means there will be a bit of a line to get my food. As long as I have my preferred spot by the Oasis Lagoon, that's all I care about.

I'm in a similar situation next month... will be on Wonder and joined by Allure (only because of a Labadee itinerary change). I was disappointed at first b/c I have been there alone on Wonder 3 times and it's lovely with just one ship but once I became confident we'll get our spot since we always get off ASAP, I was far less bothered.

• Like 1

Same thing once on Wonder with another O class ship in.   We always walk onto the island early, do our walk around the area, grab a couple Coco Locos at South Beach, then an early lunch when they first open at Chill Grill.  

When two big ships are in...those picnic tables fill up quick.  South Beach bar way less busy than the others, especially early like that.  We are headed back to the ship by 1 pm when it gets nuts.  

I'll done well as far as passenger counts with my stops at Coco Cay.

Nov. '19 - Grandeur and Anthem

Feb. '20 - Grandeur and Allure

Oct. '21 - Oasis 

Dec.'21 - Anthem and Freedom

Mar. '22 - Enchantment

Sept. '24 - Symphony and Enchantment

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Mar. '22 - Enchantment

That had to be comically empty. It's quiet and pleasant enough with just one Oasis class ship.

Edited by OCSC Mike

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Unless you don't like to get off until late morning you won't have any issues.

10am right now with adventure and icon in port and the place feels dead

We were on Adventure 2 weeks ago also with Icon in Coco Cay and only noticed how many people had been there when they must have closed the island and a huge wave of people had to go back to both ships. I couldn’t believe how many there were, and of course many had already returned. So no, it won’t be crowded

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Our lowest CocoCay count was on one of the first cruises after the restart on Oasis. There were only 1,100 passengers on board and we were the only ship there, which then made CocoCay truly feel like a deserted island like in the 90's is once was. Not to mention the feeling on the ship!

Since then we've watched as it has rebuilt to today's level of two full Oasis class ships at once there.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

43 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I'll done well as far as passenger counts with my stops at Coco Cay.

Nov. '19 - Grandeur and Anthem

Feb. '20 - Grandeur and Allure

Oct. '21 - Oasis 

Dec.'21 - Anthem and Freedom

Mar. '22 - Enchantment

Sept. '24 - Symphony and Enchantment

We have been there when there were 4 ships at Coco Cay.  Two of them just off from the dock....they were doing crew transfers just after Covid restart.   One would dock up, unload/load, back off and then another came up.  It was a strange sight.  Will try to find the pictures.  

39 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

That had to be comically empty. It's quiet and pleasant enough with just one Oasis class ship.

We were there on Serenade last Dec.....start of the WC as first port stop from Miami.  Indeed felt like a ghost island!  Plus our ship was far from fully booked.  

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

You're right! I was on that cruise, on the Enchantment in late March of 2022. She was sailing well below capacity. The island was perfect! I felt spoiled having an abundance of chairs, pool was relatively empty, no lines for anything, etc. It really did feel like a PERFECT day at Coco Cay!

I didn't really have a frame of reference though because it was my first and only time to the island. I'd love to go back!!

• Like 1