Have you been on the Silhouette in the last few weeks?

Carol28

I'll be posting this here and in the Silhouette page.  I'm selecting clothes right now and would like to know how warm or chilly the venues are on the Silhouette.  I realize each venue is different, but I just want to get an idea. Are the main areas on Deck 4 and 5 very cold, needing a sweater or are they on the warmish side?  (It might help to know I'm from South Florida.)  Now, I always have sweaters with me and I know it's cold outside, but I just wanted an idea of the temps on the ship.  Sometimes the dining room and especially the stage area are freezing.  I hope you can help me out.

I always have a lightweight sweater with me which has been warm enough whenever I have been on Silhouette.  It's going out on deck that gets me if it is cool outside, not inside the ship.

14 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

I'll be posting this here and in the Silhouette page.  I'm selecting clothes right now and would like to know how warm or chilly the venues are on the Silhouette.  I realize each venue is different, but I just want to get an idea. Are the main areas on Deck 4 and 5 very cold, needing a sweater or are they on the warmish side?  (It might help to know I'm from South Florida.)  Now, I always have sweaters with me and I know it's cold outside, but I just wanted an idea of the temps on the ship.  Sometimes the dining room and especially the stage area are freezing.  I hope you can help me out.

Just bring layers 

We are on now.  Weather can be unpredictable. Today in Belfast, when we left the ship we were all wearing sweatshirts or sweaters and light coats.  It got warmer but started to out and even hail.  Then it was sunny and 60.  

I brought medium weight seaters, a lightweight coat (heavier than a raincoat) and a rain parka. Didn’t need raincoat until today.

The ship is warm (indoors). You can wear lightweight clothes and be fine.  You can wear sweaters and be fine. It has been too cold and/or windy to sit on deck before today. 

I have worn a dressy very lightweight blouse at the “lightest” and a cashmere sweater at the other extreme.  

Porch and Lawn Club were COLD, even with heaters. You need outdoor clothing - heavy sweater or coat. 

48 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

We are on now.  Weather can be unpredictable. Today in Belfast, when we left the ship we were all wearing sweatshirts or sweaters and light coats.  It got warmer but started to out and even hail.  Then it was sunny and 60.  

I brought medium weight seaters, a lightweight coat (heavier than a raincoat) and a rain parka. Didn’t need raincoat until today.

The ship is warm (indoors). You can wear lightweight clothes and be fine.  You can wear sweaters and be fine. It has been too cold and/or windy to sit on deck before today. 

I have worn a dressy very lightweight blouse at the “lightest” and a cashmere sweater at the other extreme.  

Porch and Lawn Club were COLD, even with heaters. You need outdoor clothing - heavy sweater or coat. 

Thank you. The temps say it's been cloudy this week for you.  It's really so much nicer to travel when the sun is out.   The Lawn Grill is our favorite place to have dinner, but it is in the open air.  I  check the temps everyday and daytime it's 55-60, but nighttime on a ship will be colder. Do they have any way of enclosing the Lawn Grill at night?  Thank you for the info.

29 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

Thank you. The temps say it's been cloudy this week for you.  It's really so much nicer to travel when the sun is out.   The Lawn Grill is our favorite place to have dinner, but it is in the open air.  I  check the temps everyday and daytime it's 55-60, but nighttime on a ship will be colder. Do they have any way of enclosing the Lawn Grill at night?  Thank you for the info.

It's a great place for dinner. I ate there twice on my recent B2B on the Silhouette and really enjoyed it. There are some barriers as well as overhead heaters. I believe that the staff will also provide blankets for those who want them. For me the issue is more about the wind than the temperature but maybe that's a Canadian thing...

2 hours ago, BytownMatt said:

more about the wind

And was it windy?  We've reservations on Day 3 and Day 7. Day 3 is a 'formal' night, but I'll look at the menu at Luminae to see what I choose.

Wind is obviously dependent on the weather and your course at the time.  If you’re sensitive to cold, it’s probably not for you on a North Atlantic itinerary. 

Posted (edited)

We just got off two weeks ago.  I’m from Florida, so I have a different view of temperature.  I usually needed a light wrap or jacket if I wore a sleeveless dress or top when was in the theater or dinner.  But I was never cold or hot.  Honestly, pack less than you think you need, and think double or triple duty.  I  can’t tell you how many clothes I dragged all over Europe only to have never worn them (we had pre- and post-cruise plans.)

Edited by Karen450
Grammar

The first night was windy and a bit cool as a result. The second night was very nice I thought. I wore a sweater on both nights. There weren't many people there - perhaps three or four tables with guests plus some of the senior ship officers. That said, I think I was lucky as overall the weather was great for the British Isles and Baltic Sea at that time of the year (very little rain, warmer than normal). Perhaps you could check it out on the first night and see whether it would be warm enough for you (although you might not be able to change the day 3 reservations at that point?). I would agree with the posts above about the ship warmth (indoors) and not pressing your luck eating outside if you don't like cooler temps. Enjoy your cruise!

17 hours ago, Carol28 said:

We ate in the Lawn Grill on our 5/24 Scandinavia sailing. They do have a plexiglass "enclosure" which keeps out some of the wind but we were grateful for the blankets and the heat lamps. 

We were also on the May 24th sailing, disembarked on June 6. I pretty much lived in shorts during the day inside the ship…that or a skort. Sky Lounge could run quite warm when the sun was shining on the glass. Dinner in MDR or specialties I was comfortable with a short sleeved dress, slacks with a short sleeved blouse/shirt and always brought along a light cardigan…just in case but rarely wore. A couple of the sea days the wind made it cool outside while sailing and you’d need pants and/or a jersey to wander around but oftentimes I’d still wear shorts to walk the track. We had wonderful weather so of course this helps but inside the ship you def won’t freeze..it was pretty consistent. We actually had our cabin temp set to the lowest (coolest) setting as I like to sleep in a cooler environment…and we also slept with the veranda door open…nice fresh air!  Such a great itinerary and my favourite ship!

4 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

my favourite ship!

Thank you for your message. I hope we feel the same after our journey.  We've been on the Silhouette twice, years ago, and I really don't remember it.  With the refurbishment, I bet it is fabulous now.

Silhouette is a firm favourite with us. It's always cold in the Ensemble lounge and can be cold in Tuscan Grill and in the theatre due to air conditioning “draughts”. A sweater or light jacket can definitely be useful or a Pashmina type shawl. The new (after the refurbishment) sunken seating area either side of the aft lawn club is a great place for a drink and to look out from the ship but can breezy so a warm layer is definitely advisable

On 6/14/2024 at 11:52 AM, Carol28 said:

Of course, I'll bring layers.  I was hoping for a more specific answer.

It depends if you run warm or cold. For me it was perfect, but my companion was cold. Really hard to be specific.