750 passengers - Emporium was chaos this morning

3 hours ago, casperthecat said:

Except that the only table they offered was 8.45pm

We too booked early in the day as soon as they said reservations were now recommended, and were only  offered 8.45/9pm. We insisted, got 7.30pm, and had a nice experience in a restaurant that wasn’t at all busy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Except you don’t get food and service of the quality of these two restaurants on Celebrity. I’d suggest do as they ask or consider dining at night in Emporium which is a class well above anything Celebrity can offer on demand 

Ok sounds like they are trying to manage some internal problems- you can fight against and be miserable or do as they suggest 

Why should they have to dine in the buffet or late in the evening onasupposedly luxury ship?

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, gaspari said:

We too booked early in the day as soon as they said reservations were now recommended, and were only  offered 8.45/9pm. We insisted, got 7.30pm, and had a nice experience in a restaurant that wasn’t at all busy!

You really should bring this up with the General Manager. It's not particularly acceptable....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

You really should bring this up with the General Manager. It's not particularly acceptable....

We spoke at length to a receptive customer services guy two days ago, who suggested the F and B manager would meet us to discuss, but nothing

8 minutes ago, gaspari said:

We spoke at length to a receptive customer services guy two days ago, who suggested the F and B manager would meet us to discuss, but nothing

Ask to speak to the General Manager that who you need 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, casperthecat said:

Except that the only table they offered was 8.45pm

I really appreciate your updates. Thank you!!

An 8:45 seating is really not a good solution.  

I’m considering an early December Carribean 14 day cruise RT Miami. Not so sure now. It’s currently booked at about 80% capacity.  I would guess about the same as your cruise. 

Please let the forum know if the situation improves.

Bernie

17 hours ago, Misssmb said:

Curious how you see the capacity on sailings? 

A Tedious way - but fairly accurate.

On their website you can see the available cabins on a particular cruise by logging in, picking the cruise, then a class of cabin to reserve. It then shows the list of cabins available for that cruise for that class of cabin. I do it for each class of cabin and then tally them up.

The cruise I’m interested in - early December ‘24 is now up to 80% occupancy and likely to go up.

The website can also show the location of each cabin. Always important.

Bernie

1 hour ago, boooomer said:

On their website you can see the available cabins on a particular cruise by logging in, picking the cruise, then a class of cabin to reserve. It then shows the list of cabins available for that cruise for that class of cabin. I do it for each class of cabin and then tally them up.

The cruise I’m interested in - early December ‘24 is now up to 80% occupancy and likely to go up.

Bernie

Does Explora list all available cabins in a particular class on the website? Apparently some lines do not list all available cabins in their online booking system, particularly if there are more than 10 or so available in a particular class. 

We have yet to sail EJ but are booked on II 14 days in November.  All the onboard threads and especially this one have been very helpful and a bit concerning.  We are experienced cruisers hoping for something a bit better with EJ.  With over 400 days on Viking Oceans I see some design elements of the ships that are similar,  EJ ships are currently around 64,000 GRT with a 922 Passenger capacity while Viking is approx 45,000 GRT with a 930 pax capacity.  I have long said Viking would be perfect with 700 or less passengers,  750 on a 64,000 ton ship should be very uncrowded feeling.  It has to be a management issue.  Not enough crew scheduled, not enough training of crew, poor stores purchasing/management, and so forth.  The crew working seems to be trying hard according to most posts here.  What amazes me is that MSC is obviously well managed in the freight department and in the large ship fleet so why not promote some of that knowledgeable staff to run EJ?  I have seen the hiring of all new staff on supposed "luxury" lines as those on large ships just must not know the secrets to running a good small ship..  Obviously it aint working for EJ.  After a year it is time for heads to start rolling and get some good management onboard and in the shoreside offices.  I hope for all of us booked on EJ and expecting the product as portrayed that they get good managers onboard and ashore as soon as possible.  Great crew is a good start but EJ needs good at all levels if they are going to exist in this market segment.  

Thanks again to all who have posted.  Hoping to see yall onboard.

Jim & Lois 

• Like 1

I am curious, did this itinerary have issues all the way from Miami or did new (additional) guests board somewhere along the line?

2 hours ago, boooomer said:

Bernie

Thank you! Still found 58 available by doing that for our July sailing. 

So let me get this straight.... EJ needs to increase occupancy, but as they increase occupancy the quality-of-service declines.  Sure sounds like a failure of management. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boooomer said:

I’m considering an early December Carribean 14 day cruise RT Miami. Not so sure now. It’s currently booked at about 80% capacity.  I would guess about the same as your cruise. 

Are we talking about Dec 6 Explora II 14 days?  I went to the site that I use to check that shows all the cabins available- agree that it is very tedious to count every available cabin.

I am getting 296 cabins still available- out of 461 cabins.  Nowhere near 80% full according to my count.

On 6/16/2024 at 3:05 AM, uktog said:

With the exception of two days we always had freshly squeezed juice. The two days it was missing was due to supply issues which were addressed. People need to remember Explora is a new line, they will need a year to gather sufficient data to provision efficiently based on guest demographics and itinerary. Every line had occasional drop offs on provisions. 
I do not recognise the description of breakfast offerings -  the beautiful baked onboard bread products shone out though it is recognised the breads are a European type selection which is to be expected on a European line. 

Crystal is also a new line too.  Do not see many of the issues being reported on Crystal.  Never an issue on getting fresh squeezed orange juice, because that is all they serve.  On board now and no supply issues.  Doing many locally sourced fish dishes which is refreshing.

Then again neither line has really been tested with fully booked ships at capacity. We only have less that 500 now of paying guests.  Crystal will get tested in Alaska.  Explora being tested in the Med, if not full of paying guests, I am sure they will fill her with TA's and influencers.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Are we talking about Dec 6 Explora II 14 days?  I went to the site that I use to check that shows all the cabins available- agree that it is very tedious to count every available cabin.

I am getting 296 cabins still available- out of 461 cabins.  Nowhere near 80% full according to my count.

I’ll look again. I hope you’re right.

Bernie

1 hour ago, cruisingxpert said:

Normally I wouldn’t focus on something like this; I would just find the cabin I wanted,  book it myself or tell the TA that’s the cabin I want. I’ve sailed on the HAL Rotterdam at a 110% capacity. The ship’s dining facilities handled it well. Especially with CLub Orange. HAL wisely limits access to CO.

But based on user experience comments on these forums a fully booked Explora might have dining room capacity issues. What good is great food if you can’t get to it?

From photos, videos and ship plans Explora’s dining rooms look beautiful and intimate. But much smaller than comparable sized ships.

My source is the Explora website for the 12/6/24 14 day RT Miami Cruise. It shows OT1 as unavailable (presumably booked).

My count:

44 OT (11 each for OT 2,3, 4, and GT); 29 Penthouses; and 21 Residences including the Owner’s residence as being available. That’s a total of 94 - 20% of 461.

Maybe Explora’s website doesn’t show all the cabins that are available??

Bernie

30 minutes ago, boooomer said:

Maybe Explora’s website doesn’t show all the cabins that are available??

I think they only show some but not all - much like Oceania does.  OT1 is gone as you say and I also got 21 Residences and above but I got 57 penthouses and 218 OT and GT

Contact Catherine

On 6/15/2024 at 11:53 AM, gaspari said:

Yes we are onboard and agree this morning was shambolic. Staff trying hard, but empty counters, not replenished, no bread, amateurs trying to cook omelets/eggs, large numbers of customers milling around trying to get regular items which had run out, barely a table available. We’ve never seen fresh orange juice! Asked for some berries, as none available…..they found some strawberries 45 minutes later from ‘downstairs’, but we were just leaving! Reminded me of a mass market ship buffet….nothing luxury about this morning’s experience! 

Very troubled by this thread :(.  We previously cruised on EJ1, for 18 days, back in Sept-Oct of 2023.  For most of our cruise there were about 450-500 onboard.  We wondered, at the time, what would happen to the EJ if their ships are ever full (900) as the Emporium seemed to be inefficient. Even with only a few hundred.  If they can't handle 750, what happens with 900?  

As the time of our cruise, we did post on CC our issues with the Emporium.  While the quality of the offerings can be outstanding, the made to order stations, such as with omelets, eggs benedict, etc, can only handle a few folks at a time.  If 20 passengers are waiting for omelets, it is not a good thing.  And, if you go to other stations (while you are waiting for an omelet) you end up eating partial meals while your made to order items are being completed.  

Since our cruise, DW and I have discussed our experience on EJ1 (since we are considering a future booking) and think they need to revamp the entire Emporium operation.  One possible solution is to make it somewhat like the Colonnade on Seabourn, where there is a combination buffet and table service (with some menu items).  Also consider that Seabourn has an orange squeezing machine, in the Colonnade, that can be accessed by anyone (passengers or waiters).  That sophisticated machine has a large hopper of whole oranges, and simply makes the fresh OJ when anyone activates the dispenser.  On a typical morning, I might be seated at a table, order an omelet or eggs benedict, get some OJ (and have coffee served in a French Press) and than wait for my eggs.  I can order sides (such as bacon) with the eggs, or simply go up to the uncrowded buffet and get my own bacon whenever I choose.  That hybrid system works well.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here some numbers for the Dec 6 Explora II 14 days

===============

no OT1 Cabins

48 OT2 Cabins

53 OT3 Cabins

49 OT4 Cabins

64 GT Cabins

4 PH

8 DP

38 PP

6 GP

10 CO

6 RR

3 SR

1 CR

1 OR

= 243 available cabins

52% avaialble of 461

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BartonX said:

===============

no OT1 Cabins

48 OT2 Cabins

53 OT3 Cabins

49 OT4 Cabins

64 GT Cabins

4 PH

8 DP

38 PP

6 GP

10 CO

6 RR

3 SR

1 CR

1 OR

= 243 available cabins

52% avaialble of 461

Adding your numbers I get 291 cabins available- not 243

If 291 is correct then I see about 64% of 461 available.

Your cabin count is almost the same as what I got.

22 minutes ago, BartonX said:

===============

no OT1 Cabins

48 OT2 Cabins

53 OT3 Cabins

49 OT4 Cabins

64 GT Cabins

4 PH

8 DP

38 PP

6 GP

10 CO

6 RR

3 SR

1 CR

1 OR

= 243 available cabins

52% avaialble of 461

BartonX, just a note of caution with the 14-day cruise window and counting open staterooms (that we learned when told of this counting unbooked staterooms malaise).

It's weird.

1.  The 14-day cruise window will show a different count (possibly for each stateroom category) due to split reservations from those with 7-day cruise windows!  😲

2.  For example, looking at the 7-day cruise window starting 12/6/2024, it shows

~ OT1 7104, 7106, 7107, 7109 AND 7111 unbooked.  That's 5 versus none.

~ OT2 shows 24 on Deck 7 and 31 on Deck 8 (55 unbooked for 7D Leg 1 vs 48 for 14D),

~ etc. other stateroom classes.

3.  For example, looking at the 7-day cruise window starting 12/13/2024, it shows

~ OT1 7110, 6022, 6041 AND 6049 unbooked.  That's 4 versus none.

~ OT2 shows 28 on Deck 7 and 32 on Deck 8 (60 unbooked for 7D Leg 1 vs 48 for 14D),

25 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Adding your numbers I get 291 cabins available- not 243

If 291 is correct then I see about 64% of 461 available.

Your cabin count is almost the same as what I got.

You are correct with 291 🙂 I must have fat fingerd it when adding them up 😄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

BartonX, just a note of caution with the 14-day cruise window and counting open staterooms (that we learned when told of this counting unbooked staterooms malaise).

It's weird.

1.  The 14-day cruise window will show a different count (possibly for each stateroom category) due to split reservations from those with 7-day cruise windows!  😲

2.  For example, looking at the 7-day cruise window starting 12/6/2024, it shows

~ OT1 7104, 7106, 7107, 7109 AND 7111 unbooked.  That's 5 versus none.

~ OT2 shows 24 on Deck 7 and 31 on Deck 8 (55 unbooked for 7D Leg 1 vs 48 for 14D),

3.  For example, looking at the 7-day cruise window starting 12/13/2024, it shows

~ OT1 7110, 6022, 6041 AND 6049 unbooked.  That's 4 versus none.

~ OT2 shows 28 on Deck 7 and 32 on Deck 8 (60 unbooked for 7D Leg 1 vs 48 for 14D),

Of course you are correct as well - 5 OT1 cabins are available for the first 7 day leg but not on the 2nd 7 day leg.

--CORRECTION --> There are OT1 cabins available on both legs but different cabin numbers. 😄 Hence, they would not allow to show them as available unless a pax would be willing to move cabins.

Since no OT1s are available on the 2nd leg, they are showing as not available if you try to book a 14 day sailing 🙂

To be 100% correct in the count one need to split the 14 day sailing into 2 separate legs. 

Edited by BartonX
  • Thanks 1