Viking Air question

Janie1229

Hi, I am looking at booking Viking's Christmas Market AMS-BASAL for Dec 17-24 this year. 

The agent is telling me that Viking Air is $799 or if I want premium economy it is $2,198. I don't understand everyone on here talking about upgrading for only $100 more etc., this "Viking Air" part of the trip is very confusing to me. 

As one person said here, I am very particular about flights and want a nonstop on the way to Amsterdam. I am planning on flying in at least one day prior, so I don't believe Viking Air would work anyway, since the dates are set for you to fly in/out the same day of embarkation/disembarkation? Unless booking a pre or post trip excursion?

Thanks for any feedback!!

Posted (edited)

For the extra $100 you get Air Plus, which lets you choose your own flights as opposed to having Viking assign flights to you, which you may or may not like.  We've chosen direct flights BOS--AMSboth ways, and BOS--ZUR both ways, without extra charge.

We always use Viking Plus and choose nonstops whenever possible.  For $50, I believe, you pay a deviation fee that lets you flight in or out before embarkation or after disembarkation, in the event you are arriving early or staying post-cruise.

The only time we were ever told by Viking that the flights we chose would be extra is when we wanted to leave Amsterdam at 5PM.  We accepted a 1PM flight instead without extra charge.

Edited by sharkster77

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

For the extra $100 you get Air Plus, which lets you choose your own flights as opposed to having Viking assign flights to you, which you may or may not like.  We've chosen direct flights BOS--AMSboth ways, and BOS--ZUR both ways, without extra charge.

We always use Viking Plus and choose nonstops whenever possible.  For $50, I believe, you pay a deviation fee that lets you flight in or out before embarkation or after disembarkation, in the event you are arriving early or staying post-cruise.

The only time we were ever told by Viking that the flights we chose would be extra is when we wanted to leave Amsterdam at 5PM.  We accepted a 1PM flight instead without extra charge.

Thank you. I did talk with my Viking person again and the prices have gone up. It is now $150 extra for Air Plus. "deviation" is $100 more as well. I'm still debating. If you don't see the non-stop flight you want, can you "disenroll" from Viking Air and get your money back and book yourself prior to Viking Air assigning you a ticket? That's the last piece I need to ask Viking. 

I was also told that we could elect to get just one way via Viking Air. So if I wanted to book us on a non-stop flight on Delta out of Detroit to Amsterdam going, I could have Viking Air do our flights coming back from either Basal or Zurich, depending on if we elect to stay with the post-cruise excusion. My sister really likes the idea of the post-Lucerne excursion but it's almost $1,000 extra pp !! It starts to really add up. I did decide to book us in the French balcony instead of the lower category stateroom with little windows. So that's another $500 more pp. 

However, this is the first time my sister and I have ever gone on a trip together. She just retired from teaching after almost 50 years!! So this is a special trip, and given her mobility - she walks okay does not need assistive device but not totally fit - I thought this would be a lovely trip for us to do as sisters 🙂

Lucerne is super easy to do DIY--we spent less than half of what Viking would have charged us to do Lucerne with them. Viking arranged for a taxi to the Basel train station when we disembarked.  One hour later we were in Lucerne.  Train station is right in the middle of the old town, hotels no more than a 5-10 minute walk.  We stayed two nights, walked all over the place, so much to do in this pretty city.  Back to the train station, easy one hour ride to the Zurich airport, which has a train station in the bottom level of the terminal!

I would imagine one could take the train from Lucerne back to the Basel station, then get a taxi to that airport---not sure how hard or easy that is.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

Hi, I am looking at booking Viking's Christmas Market AMS-BASAL for Dec 17-24 this year. 

The agent is telling me that Viking Air is $799 or if I want premium economy it is $2,198. I don't understand everyone on here talking about upgrading for only $100 more etc., this "Viking Air" part of the trip is very confusing to me. 

As one person said here, I am very particular about flights and want a nonstop on the way to Amsterdam. I am planning on flying in at least one day prior, so I don't believe Viking Air would work anyway, since the dates are set for you to fly in/out the same day of embarkation/disembarkation? Unless booking a pre or post trip excursion?

Thanks for any feedback!!

Just to clarify Viking Air.

1) You pay $100 or $150 per person for the privilege to use Viking Air
2) You can do a deviation in or out for $100 per person and fly in days early or stay days late.  You do NOT have to fly in the day of and out the day of....

3) You have some more control over your flights in as much as you can search the routes and the timetables that you want and then request these.  This does not mean that flights you want are inside the Viking contract air prices and there can be an upcharge for the flights you want, on top of the Viking Air and Deviation fees.
4) Upgrade to Premium Economy can be pricy, but in our experience it is usually about the same as booking on your own.  What you are likely experiencing here is Viking have great contract rates for Economy - $799 - but the PE upgrade is not contract rates so you are paying a bigger upcharge.

We use Viking Air on most all of our Viking cruises and we call and book our air as early as 270 days in advance of the cruise as we have generally the best inventory to choose from at that time.  Sometimes we score great PE upgrade rates, and sometimes we score great direct non-stop flights.  

We have also booked the air for many Viking trips on our own.

The other thing to consider on booking a deviation is that if you are flying in one or two days early and you are NOT purchasing a Viking pre-excursion trip, you are responsible to get from airport to your hotel and then from the hotel to the ship on embarkation day on your own.  Same if you deviate at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Lucerne is super easy to do DIY--we spent less than half of what Viking would have charged us to do Lucerne with them. Viking arranged for a taxi to the Basel train station when we disembarked.  One hour later we were in Lucerne.  Train station is right in the middle of the old town, hotels no more than a 5-10 minute walk.  We stayed two nights, walked all over the place, so much to do in this pretty city.  Back to the train station, easy one hour ride to the Zurich airport, which has a train station in the bottom level of the terminal!

I would imagine one could take the train from Lucerne back to the Basel station, then get a taxi to that airport---not sure how hard or easy that is.

There would probably be no point in going back to Basel. Any flight back to North America from there would require a change somewhere in Europe (with passport control at that point) whereas a flight from Zurich would get you to a US gateway).

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

There would probably be no point in going back to Basel. Any flight back to North America from there would require a change somewhere in Europe (with passport control at that point) whereas a flight from Zurich would get you to a US gateway).

Oh, I agree, way more flights out of Zurich!

I am curious as to whether that $2198 quoted for premium economy includes the air plus and deviation fee , or does Viking still add on $150 and $100 per person extra for those?  We don't sail on Viking, but, to me, their air seems awfully high.  We are flying business class in September for $2650 per person.  That's not a huge difference from Viking's premium economy charge.  Just seems like you might be able to do better on your own.  Also, I agree with Sharkster that doing Lucerne is simple to do on your own and saves a lot of money.  We never do a pre- or post- cruise extension through a cruise line.

6 minutes ago, CielBleu said:

I am curious as to whether that $2198 quoted for premium economy includes the air plus and deviation fee , or does Viking still add on $150 and $100 per person extra for those?  We don't sail on Viking, but, to me, their air seems awfully high.  We are flying business class in September for $2650 per person.  That's not a huge difference from Viking's premium economy charge.  Just seems like you might be able to do better on your own.  Also, I agree with Sharkster that doing Lucerne is simple to do on your own and saves a lot of money.  We never do a pre- or post- cruise extension through a cruise line.

The super-efficient Swiss rail system makes DIY very easy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CielBleu said:

That would not include the Air Plus and the deviation fee.  That is just the air.

• Thanks 1

I only use Viking Air when they offer a discounted cost. When they charge full fare, I book it myself. We nearly always arrive early and/or leave late.

How to arrange air travel has a lot to do with personal preference and how much one wants to spend. My advice involves any possible layovers, regardless of how you book flights. One has to make sure that the layovers leave enough time to calmly stroll from one end of the airport to the other. Booking computers seem to have an algorithm for minimum layover time that's structured to on-time arrivals, rapid deplaning, and athletic 20 year-olds. No, no, and no longer.

Post Pandemic I've flown across an ocean 24 times. The flights, regardless of class, have been cakewalks compared to the time I've spent on the ground between flights. (Because of where I live, non-stop flights are a non-starter.)

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 12:13 PM, Janie1229 said:

Most cruise lines will allow you to book air thru them even if you fly in early or leave late, and you don't have to use their hotels or pre- or post- trip excursions.  

Whether I've booked thru the cruise line or independently, I've been jerked around by the airlines.  There's no such thing as having control over your flight reservations.  You're at the mercy of the airlines.  

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Roz said:

Most cruise lines will allow you to book air thru them even if you fly in early or leave late, and you don't have to use their hotels or pre- or post- trip excursions.  

Whether I've booked thru the cruise line or independently, I've been jerked around by the airlines.  There's no such thing as having control over your flight reservations.  You're at the mercy of the airlines.  

I understand booking with Viking Air can be done without using their hotels or pre-post excursions. My concern is that I am at the mercy of what Viking Air chooses for me. If I want access to the flight schedules they have available, that is another $150pp. If I want a deviation, that's another $100pp. So now it is $799 (or $2198 for premium whatever that means since the flights I want on Delta are premium PLUS) and then another $250pp and I'm not guaranteed getting the flight I want. I do not want to fly to AMS with layover, since I can book us on nonstop flights from Detroit to Amsterdam (we live in Ohio and my sister will drive to our place from KY a couple of days prior). 

I can tell Viking I want to fly out of DTW - but that does not mean they will pick the flight I want on Delta correct? So they could pick the flights that have layovers from DTW. 

My biggest concern booking on my own (other than possibly saving some money thru Viking?) is if the flight to Amsterdam is delayed or canceled. I have read several posters here talk about Viking getting them rebooked immediately and others who booked on their own missed part of the trip. 

The person I am working with at Viking is not very clear to me about how Viking Air works exactly. I don't understand WHEN they will book the flight. If it is not for some time, then the seats will start to fill up and i may or may not be able to upgrade us. And what if I don't like the flights they choose? Can I then cancel and book my own and get a refund from Viking? The air part of this trip has become so confusing/frustrating to me that I'm almost tempted to cancel the entire trip and look at something else. 

Edited by Janie1229
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We recently did Rhine B to A with Viking.

Because we were going to Barcelona for 4 days prior, we opted out of the inbound flight and were refunded half the airfare.

Our outbound flight was book by them.  Once we got the flight details (American Airlines) we logged into AA and upgraded on our own to Economy plus for ~$102 PP.  Premium was a bit pricey at that time.

At check-in, we were offered Premium Economy for $180 PP and took it.

++++Important++++

If you book through Viking, avoid leaving Europe for the USA with a connecting flight in Europe. We learned the hard way.  It will typically be a 7-8AM flight and Viking will have you leaving the ship 3 hours prior plus travel time to the airport.  When doing this at the end of the Rhone cruise we had to get up at 3AM for not so great partial breakfast and then a 4:00 AM departure on the bus.

If you have to do a connecting flight, I'd pay to get a selection or I'd stay an extra day.

For the inbound, I highly recommend getting there 1-2 days earlier.  Most folks I see arriving the day of of the cruise are bone tired the first night and most of the next day.  Most departure cities are worth visiting for 1-3 days.  IMO, the Viking extensions are overpriced.  You can get nice 3 star boutique hotels for much less.  Most cities have Uber or Lyft, trolleys, busses, and metro to get around.  Most Viking extensions include just the hotel and concierge.  Maybe some meals. We have never had a problem getting to the dock.

Edited by Next

@Janie1229, that sounds really complicated.  You have no guarantee you'll get a nonstop flight.  Maybe booking on your own is the way to go.  

3 hours ago, Next said:

We recently did Rhine B to A with Viking.

Our outbound flight was book by them.  Once we got the flight details (American Airlines) we logged into AA and upgraded on our own to Economy plus for ~$102 PP.  Premium was a bit pricey at that time.

At check-in, we were offered Premium Economy for $180 PP and took it.

Just be cautious with this because you cannot always upgrade once you get your flights through Viking.  It all depends on the contract rates and the code you are booked under.

We have had economy flights with Viking that we could upgrade after being ticketed and some that we could not upgrade.  

• Like 1

I will only fly non stop to Amsterdam. I called Viking air plus and talked to them about booking my flight. I gave them the flight information and the dates I wanted to fly( coming into Amsterdam 4 days before river cruise). They could do it but told me there would be both the $100 and $150 change fee pp. that’s $500! Said “no thank you” and booked myself with Delta. Cheaper than what Viking could do.

13 minutes ago, Rorygirl4528 said:

I will only fly non stop to Amsterdam. I called Viking air plus and talked to them about booking my flight. I gave them the flight information and the dates I wanted to fly( coming into Amsterdam 4 days before river cruise). They could do it but told me there would be both the $100 and $150 change fee pp. that’s $500! Said “no thank you” and booked myself with Delta. Cheaper than what Viking could do.

You are best to check what Viking charges and what you can get on your own.  Often the cheapest option wins!  But, sometimes the convenience of doing it through Viking wins.

Your situation does not make sense because you are not doing a Viking pre-extension and the pp charge is because you are outside of Viking contract rates.  The Viking airfares are good if you are sticking to arriving the day the cruise departs.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

You are best to check what Viking charges and what you can get on your own.  Often the cheapest option wins!  But, sometimes the convenience of doing it through Viking wins.

Your situation does not make sense because you are not doing a Viking pre-extension and the pp charge is because you are outside of Viking contract rates.  The Viking airfares are good if you are sticking to arriving the day the cruise departs.

I will likely purchase my own air. Here's the breakdown per Viking: $100pp extra for the air "deviation" (not flying in same day as Viking would schedule); $250pp extra for being able to see all the schedules and book what I want and $554pp extra because the flight I want is outside the contract Viking has with airline. 

1 hour ago, Janie1229 said:

I will likely purchase my own air. Here's the breakdown per Viking: $100pp extra for the air "deviation" (not flying in same day as Viking would schedule); $250pp extra for being able to see all the schedules and book what I want and $554pp extra because the flight I want is outside the contract Viking has with airline. 

Just know that Viking is not trying to charge you more than what you can get on your own...

Viking first has rates that are contract and what you want is outside the contract rates.  

Also outside the contract rates are any flights that are a deviation from the arriving the day of embarkation and departing the day of disembarkation.

Then there is the charge to use Viking Air.

I am not suggesting that you don't know all this at this point but want to clarify for others reading this discussion.

If you are within the Viking contract rates, then often the Viking air is a great deal.

We have free air coming up and we are just going economy on 7 hour flights.  We decided to go with the flow and just take the offer.

23 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Just know that Viking is not trying to charge you more than what you can get on your own...

Viking first has rates that are contract and what you want is outside the contract rates.  

Also outside the contract rates are any flights that are a deviation from the arriving the day of embarkation and departing the day of disembarkation.

Then there is the charge to use Viking Air.

I am not suggesting that you don't know all this at this point but want to clarify for others reading this discussion.

If you are within the Viking contract rates, then often the Viking air is a great deal.

We have free air coming up and we are just going economy on 7 hour flights.  We decided to go with the flow and just take the offer.

Thanks for the clarification to anyone else reading this post. Yes, if you are not set on using a specific air itinerary, are okay using their dates, and don't mind economy, I'm sure it is a better rate. For myself, I don't want to fly the dates Viking chooses, and I also want a nonstop flight. If those things don't matter, then I'm sure it's a better rate with Viking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janie1229 said:

Thanks for the clarification to anyone else reading this post. Yes, if you are not set on using a specific air itinerary, are okay using their dates, and don't mind economy, I'm sure it is a better rate. For myself, I don't want to fly the dates Viking chooses, and I also want a nonstop flight. If those things don't matter, then I'm sure it's a better rate with Viking.

This is true of most cruise line airfare offers.  We had a great deal on included air with Silversea, and even the business class upgrade was less than most of the fares I found online (and that meant hotels pre- and post and all transfers were 'free') – but I still cancelled it and booked my own, because I found a comparable fare on Qantas that gave me much more control.

I don't believe the common perception that when you book air through the cruise line they will take care of you when things go wrong.  I want to 'own' my air booking so I can take responsibility and deal with the airline directly.  I also want to fly in early pre-cruise and often stay on post-cruise, and to choose my seats while the selection is good.  Added up, it's worth paying a premium to book direct.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is true of most cruise line airfare offers.  We had a great deal on included air with Silversea, and even the business class upgrade was less than most of the fares I found online (and that meant hotels pre- and post and all transfers were 'free') – but I still cancelled it and booked my own, because I found a comparable fare on Qantas that gave me much more control.

I don't believe the common perception that when you book air through the cruise line they will take care of you when things go wrong.  I want to 'own' my air booking so I can take responsibility and deal with the airline directly.  I also want to fly in early pre-cruise and often stay on post-cruise, and to choose my seats while the selection is good.  Added up, it's worth paying a premium to book direct.

Thank you for your feedback. Because I want to fly nonstop on Delta, and fly in a day or 2 in advance, it will cost me $100 plus $250 plus $554 for that with Viking. Add on the $2198 for premium economy and it's about $600 more than if I book on my own. Total with Viking was $3003 and total booking my own on Delta was $2500pp. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I don't believe the common perception that when you book air through the cruise line they will take care of you when things go wrong.  

Agree with you on this, but with Viking I have personally witnessed others with major flight issues that Viking did take care of for those that they booked for.  Others were on their own.

If you are flying with Viking Air, there is a 24 hour emergency line that you are given that if any flight delay or issue then they take over for you...

I have not had to use this myself, but as I mentioned, I have seen and talked to many on Viking cruises that Viking has stepped in and taken care of flight issues.  This is one benefit of Viking Air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@CDNPolar You wrote "We use Viking Air on most all of our Viking cruises and we call and book our air as early as 270 days in advance of the cruise as we have generally the best inventory to choose from at that time."

How do you get your flights booked so early? Viking said our flights wouldn't be reserved until 3 months prior to departure. Did you mean you are using Viking Air Plus?