New On-Line Passport Renewal Instructions

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get in yesterday to do mine and today to do DW's 🙂 Started at 12:00 CDT yesterday and 12:09 today. Got several "we're done for the day" messages today, but tried a few more times and got in, so "opening time" of "midday" seems to be a moving target.

Only took about 15 minutes each, including taking the picture, saving from phone to cloud, downloading it and uploading it to the website. 

It's doing some sort of validation of the photo, as it took me a couple of different ones to get one that it would accept.

Waiting for follow up emails of the processing status. Still shows "payment pending" even though my credit card reported the charge immediately.

• Like 1

Wanted to add after I saved it 🙂

Disregard this message:

image.png.498944756d2aadbca62e676d94f5307c.png

Click into the Renew Your Passport link, then to the next screen to Start an application. You won't get the "real" "we're closed" message until you get that far. Took me a few tries to realize they never seem to remove the red text on the front screen.

Good Luck 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up, I received my passport Wednesday the 3rd and DW got hers yesterday.

Pretty good turnaround.9 days from start to finish.

• Like 2

I haven’t seen this mentioned so I assume that many are unaware of the new beta program to renew your passport on line.  This became available June 1.  I applied for renewal on July 1 and on July 10 received email stating my passport had been shipped!  Amazing!

There are a lot of stipulations but each individual will have to sift through the questionnaire to see if you qualify.

Go to “ mytravel.state.gov” and select “renew your passport” to begin.

The hardest part is getting into the site in their window of time.  The next hardest is submitting a picture that they will accept: no shadows allowed and that is difficult.

I tried for 2 weeks straight to try to get into the portal and it was always closed.  I think the word is out.

Also for the picture  all hair must be tucked behind your ears.

I,too, tried for about 2 weeks before I got in. I even set a timer so that I could remember to try at the moment they opened.  No luck.  Then one Saturday afternoon ..mid afternoon…I just tried again and viola!  
My hair covered most of my ears.

Posted (edited)

I don't need to renew this year, but for my sister and future reference; am I remembering correctly that the passport needs to be good for 6 months beyond your departure date? 

Second question, can you do online if you're doing a name change due to marriage?   Answered, no just renewing.

Third question, DH let his passport expire, can he renew online?

Edited by temple1

The length of validity depends on the countries visited.  Some cruise lines recommend/require this even though the countries don’t.

i think your other questions can be answered on the website.  EM

10 hours ago, truffles2 said:

I haven’t seen this mentioned so I assume that many are unaware of the new beta program to renew your passport on line...

@truffles2

Your new thread has been merged onto the existing thread.

And a FYI to all reading this thread, Cruise Critic members are posting their progress regarding turnaround time here: Passport Turnaround time

I tried to get into the online renewal yesterday (July 15, 2024) at noon eastern time (9 a.m. for me in California) and got the message that it was closed for the day but, thanks to postings here, I tried again at 10:30 a.m. my time (1:30 p.m. EST) and got in.  My husband got in closer to 11 a.m. (2 p.m. eastern)   We both completed our applications yesterday.  I'll report back once I receive our new passports.  It is such a convenient way to renew our passports.  I hope the testing is successful and they roll it out in full.  

Jackie

I got on today around 12:30 PST but your passport has to expire within a year, so I have to wait a few more weeks till August. Was hoping to get a jump start on planning for next summer! Will be curious to hear how long it takes until you get your new passports for those that submitted!

• 2 weeks later...

I had assumed that the online Passport renewal option was only "open" Monday through Friday.  My brother-in-law was able to apply on a Sunday.

Jackie