Global Entry Expired/Re Apply Time?

So we’re booked on a late September sailing out of Canada from the US.  My husband and I both had Global Entry and I stupidly looked at his expiration date since we both applied (and interviewed) at the same time.  Well his initial approval came nearly a year after mine, so his expiration date was about a year after mine.  In other words, my Global Entry/Trusted Traveler is expired and I have reapplied.  He has as well, although he’s still able to use his credentials for our September trip.

Has anyone here recently applied for Global Entry? How long till you were able to schedule your interview?  Am I unrealistic to hope that I might be able to get it all in order for our trip in 3 months? 😳

I don't know if reapplication is the same, but for renewal you may not need an interview. My husband and I renewed last year. Approval came surprisingly quickly - a couple of weeks - even though there were warnings on the site that renewal might be slow. Mine came with a new card, but he was required to interview again. I don't know if it's random or some other factor (e.g. because he has a common first/last name combination). 

He was able to schedule the interview within a couple of months at SFO (I don't remember exactly how long now). Interview availability can vary a lot depending on where you are trying to get the interview. When we initially applied for global entry, interviews weren't available in any reasonable timeframe at our nearest spot (SFO). You can always check around for availability at other locations - my husband found quick availability at another airport reachable as a daytrip with cheap roundtrip flights. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

I don't know if reapplication is the same, but for renewal you may not need an interview. My husband and I renewed last year. Approval came surprisingly quickly - a couple of weeks - even though there were warnings on the site that renewal might be slow. Mine came with a new card, but he was required to interview again. I don't know if it's random or some other factor (e.g. because he has a common first/last name combination). 

He was able to schedule the interview within a couple of months at SFO (I don't remember exactly how long now). Interview availability can vary a lot depending on where you are trying to get the interview. When we initially applied for global entry, interviews weren't available in any reasonable timeframe at our nearest spot (SFO). You can always check around for availability at other locations - my husband found quick availability at another airport reachable as a daytrip with cheap roundtrip flights. 

Yes, we’re thinking we may have to take a flight to have our interviews.  We don’t live anywhere near where they’re conducted anymore.  Atlanta would be the closest, but the appointments seem to be months away, so we might fly to NY where no appointments are necessary.

We both renewed our Global Entry in early May when we suddenly noticed the June expiration date.  We both did it on line - a somewhat complex process as you needed cell phone to receive confirming text while on line, but we did it in less than an hour and had new cards in about ten days.  I am not certain about doing it after expiration, but you certainly should give it a try.

• Like 2

I renewed in 2022 and was approved in a few days, really fast.  No interview.  Last year I had to update the passport info as I had to renew the passport.

For the initial application the closest place was Atlanta, but there were no appointments.  So I drove two hours to JAX, flew to Miami, walked the length of the terminal, had my interview and approval, made my way back down the terminal and caught the return flight.  It was great flying without luggage.  EM

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, napria said:

So we’re booked on a late September sailing out of Canada from the US.  My husband and I both had Global Entry and I stupidly looked at his expiration date since we both applied (and interviewed) at the same time.  Well his initial approval came nearly a year after mine, so his expiration date was about a year after mine.  In other words, my Global Entry/Trusted Traveler is expired and I have reapplied.  He has as well, although he’s still able to use his credentials for our September trip.

Has anyone here recently applied for Global Entry? How long till you were able to schedule your interview?  Am I unrealistic to hope that I might be able to get it all in order for our trip in 3 months? 😳

I'm uncertain about your itinerary. Is your reentry to the US is on a cruise ship? If so don't bother going out of your way to get your Global Entry renewed because it's of little or no benefit due to the widespread use of biometrics/facial recognition. Most US citizens are just able to walk off without encountering a USCBP officer. Even if your reentry is at an airport, they are now all equipped with this system and again you may be able to be cleared without having to go through an in person inspection.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics/airports

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics/seaports

Edited by njhorseman

15 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm uncertain about your itinerary. Is your reentry to the US is on a cruise ship? If so don't bother going out of your way to get your Global Entry renewed because it's of little or no benefit due to the widespread use of biometrics/facial recognition. Most US citizens are just able to walk off without encountering a USCBP officer. Even if your reentry is at an airport, they are now all equipped with this system and again you may be able to be cleared without having to go through an in person inspection.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics/airports

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics/seaports

With Global Entry you have TSA Precheck.  Since we’re traveling internationally each year over the next three years, and we’re flying to Canada to get on the cruise, we’d like to have Global Entry (and TSA Precheck) renewed.  Or in my case, issued again.

Just now, napria said:

With Global Entry you have TSA Precheck.  Since we’re traveling internationally each year over the next three years, and we’re flying to Canada to get on the cruise, we’d like to have Global Entry (and TSA Precheck) renewed.  Or in my case, issued again.

Yes, I'm aware that Global Entry provides TSA Precheck. I've had Global Entry for years. I'm just trying to save you the trouble of having to unnecessarily fly somewhere just to renew your Global Entry approval. If you want to make life easier for yourself for now it looks like all you need is TSA Precheck since as I said Global Entry's value has really been reduced with the introduction of biometric technology...and it should be easier and quicker to get TSA Pre approval than Global Entry. Then after you get back from your September cruise you can take care of getting Global Entry renewed if you still feel it's necessary.

I can totally relate to your situation. When my husband and I applied for Global Entry, his approval took much longer than mine, so I get the frustration.

For me, the renewal process took about three months from start to finish. However, it's a bit unpredictable, and it might vary for you. Since your husband's credentials are still good for the upcoming trip, that's a relief!

I'd suggest checking the Global Entry website for the latest processing times and keeping an eye out for any earlier interview slots that might open up. Fingers crossed it all works out smoothly for your trip in September!

11 hours ago, sundown6 said:

I can totally relate to your situation. When my husband and I applied for Global Entry, his approval took much longer than mine, so I get the frustration.

For me, the renewal process took about three months from start to finish. However, it's a bit unpredictable, and it might vary for you. Since your husband's credentials are still good for the upcoming trip, that's a relief!

I'd suggest checking the Global Entry website for the latest processing times and keeping an eye out for any earlier interview slots that might open up. Fingers crossed it all works out smoothly for your trip in September!

Even if his expiration date was before the trip, he would be okay as long as he had submitted the renewal before it expired. The Global Entry website says:

If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 24 months after your membership expiration date. An interview may be required upon renewal. This will be determined by the vetting center."

So it also confirms that your husband might not need an interview. I can't find anything about renewing after expiration - it might be the same as starting a new application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We got our Global Entry approved… my application (after my original membership expired) and my husband’s renewal. Both new cards came in the mail the same day.  However, strangely my husband’s card has a picture of a boy who looks about 16 years old (my husband’s in his late 60’s).  He filed a request to change the picture and issue a new card.  The request has been acknowledged and they said it’s going to take up to two months to process.  Not a big deal since his old card will still be valid, but a slight pain for all involved.  And we’re wondering if there’s a boy out there with a Global Entry card with a picture of an old guy on it 🤣

Edited by napria
  • Like 1