Pre-purchase Using Cruise Planner, Something to Look Out For

I have been pre-purchasing items using the cruise planner in preparation for my upcoming cruise knowing that I can cancel and re-book if the price goes down. I've pre-purchased beverage, internet, ultimate dining, excursions, and gifts. The prices seem to change often and I have saved money multiple times by cancelling and re-booking. Sometimes its a few bucks, sometimes it's a generous amount.

Well, I noticed a nearly $50 price drop for the ultimate dining plan I purchased, so, with a little excitement, I cancelled and re-purchased. After the re-purchase, I noticed I had actually only saved 1 cent, not $50. After some initial confusion, I realized that the first time I purchased, the price included gratuity. After the new price drop, gratuity is no longer included. While the cost appeared to have gone down by nearly $50, it had actually only gone down 1 penny!

I had a laugh, but had they not dropped the price to account for the gratuity, I might have actually paid more by doing a cancel and repurchase. (also kinda deceptive on RCL's part by making it appear to be a price drop when it actually was not)

Something to look out for in the future!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also fell victim, I lost $30 on our two dining packages. I feel like a fool 🤦‍♀️

I want to make sure this doesn’t happen again… how do I tell before canceling the old order if gratuity is included in the new advertised price ? (Personally, I didn’t notice it until the new item was IN my cart)

56 minutes ago, EbayCruiser said:

Price is 40% off today without gratuities but a better price that before.  I booked it today.

For my cruise, still only 30% off. I purchased at 35% off. I guess the sale is different for different cruises.

2 hours ago, Sunshine_Barbie said:

I also fell victim, I lost $30 on our two dining packages. I feel like a fool 🤦‍♀️

I want to make sure this doesn’t happen again… how do I tell before canceling the old order if gratuity is included in the new advertised price ? (Personally, I didn’t notice it until the new item was IN my cart)

Please don't feel like a fool, I fell for it as well and I'm pretty diligent! I was lucky that it saved me 2 cents instead of costing me more money.

Just think, Royal Caribbean pays overpriced executives and consultants to figure out how to extract a little bit more money from us. Too bad they don't include ethics in those marketing decisions. I guess having a good sense of ethics isn't always the best way to make the most money.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what I'm buying from RCCL, I add gratuities, taxes, etc. into the total before I buy. I go to the last page before booking, so I have the price I'm seeing for my TA when I book, than add daily tips. Go to the payment page so I see the final price of a dining package before I buy, etc.

I agree: RCCL is not very straightforward in their pricing practices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EbayCruiser said:

Price is 40% off today without gratuities but a better price that before.  I booked it today.

Me too.  It was $200 less than yesterday.  Cruise planner was very very glitchy but I was bound and determined to get that rate.  After I did, I looked and the rate increased to the same price as yesterday.   Also couldn't see excursions, drink packages or any other options.  Gave a response that they're working on great things,, or something like that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

My CP has been glitchy since yesterday.  I have to refresh it every time I want to go to a new CP page or else it just take forEVER for the page to load.

Seems to be working normally again.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

On 6/21/2024 at 11:45 AM, Sunshine_Barbie said:

After I fell for it, I went back and my first order showed the price with "gratuities included" specifically stated.  My second order, after cancelling the first, did not include "gratuities included" and I was wondering after I purchased it why it was more than my first purchase.  Lesson learned.  Maybe the prices will go back before our sailing in September.

• Like 1