Random reports from Vista

babysteps

25 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Yes the pizza is very good...But I do get criticized by people who say they don't go on a cruise to eat pizza....

It's more an "Emperor Has No Clothes" situation....

I had the pizza on Riviera 11/2023. It was decent. Nothing to write home about. NO shortage of great local pizza places where I live and we eat pizza so many Friday nights during a year. Hardly any culinary accomplishment by O here. Hard to argue that adding pizza is any improvement when people are paying say $350-500 per night per cabin (G-B). Just another cost-cutting measure fobbed off by O as something new & exciting. And it moved the ice cream/yogurt operation forward into an exposed location that is crab during inclement weather! Stand in line there getting a smoothie at say 0730 when wind and rain are hitting you.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Yes the pizza is very good...

But I do get criticized by people who say they don't go on a cruise to eat pizza.

To each his own.

Sometimes one just wants what one wants.  But I would also say that this pizza is not ordinary pizza.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, vlthom said:

... But I would also say that this pizza is not ordinary pizza.

Guess that depends on where you live and the kind of pizza places near you. Having eaten it on Riviera 11/2023, there was NOTHING extra-ordinary about it. Decent. Nothing to write home about. Better than they're thoroughly mediocre lunch pizza, but that isn't saying all that much. When a couple is paying $350-500 per day for their cabin (G-B), I'm not immediately getting how adding mere pizza, something so many eat so often, is being viewed so favorably.

• Like 1

Waves pizza at night is excellent. Wish that they served it at lunch. The pizza at the Terrace buffet is sad compared to Waves.

I was on Vista in January. Just got off Marina in June.  Both are nice. Adding Aquamar and Waves at night to Marina is good.  On Marina, I missed the bakery.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Guess that depends on where you live and the kind of pizza places near you. Having eaten it on Riviera 11/2023, there was NOTHING extra-ordinary about it. Decent. Nothing to write home about. Better than they're thoroughly mediocre lunch pizza, but that isn't saying all that much. When a couple is paying $350-500 per day for their cabin (G-B), I'm not immediately getting how adding mere pizza, something so many eat so often, is being viewed so favorably.

I get your point, but as you're always going on about, it's completely subjective. In all fairness this is in addition to the eating options that have always been available. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I get your point, but as you're always going on about, it's completely subjective. In all fairness this is in addition to the eating options that have always been available. 

Getting cold and wet at 0730 getting my breakfast Sun Salutation smoothie because the station was moved out forward to make room for a pizza oven is NOT "completely subjective". That's an objective issue.

And objectively, IF we're spending say $350-500 per couple per day, having a glorified "Pizza Hut" is an objective disappointment about food. When so much more could've been "added".

Weird how an obvious COST CUTTING MEASURE is being made out to be some amazing improvement in food. Right, basic American pizza. That Americans have eaten a thousand times already.

Not unlike the Vista cheerleaders who want us to believe that dropping Jaques for Ember was an "improvement", as if adding a glorified Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday was an improvement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Getting cold and wet at 0730 getting my breakfast Sun Salutation smoothie because the station was moved out forward to make room for a pizza oven is NOT "completely subjective". That's an objective issue.

And objectively, IF we're spending say $350-500 per couple per day, having a glorified "Pizza Hut" is an objective disappointment about food. When so much more could've been "added".

Weird how an obvious COST CUTTING MEASURE is being made out to be some amazing improvement in food. Right, basic American pizza. That Americans have eaten a thousand times already.

Not unlike the Vista cheerleaders who want us to believe that dropping Jaques for Ember was an "improvement", as if adding a glorified Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday was an improvement.

Not sure adding a pizza oven and then having a venue open in the evening that was not open in the evenings before is an obvious cost cutting measure. But you do you……..

• Like 7

3 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Not sure adding a pizza oven and then having a venue open in the evening that was not open in the evenings before is an obvious cost cutting measure. But you do you……..

Think how LITTLE it costs to make 10,000 pizzas for couples that essentially replace all or most of a meal they'd have in the TC or GDR. As opposed to the cost of the food in the TC or GDR. My local Pizza Hut can make a nice 5-ingredient pan pizza and make a profit selling it for $15. The worker is on contract, so no added cost for the staff. He's got to work somewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

...pizza oven....

Think dough. Bread. The use of bread, dough, to replace eating more expensive food. So, of course, O would love to have you fill up on bread, dough, as often as they can. Weird how people extol bread and rolls, which means they aren't eating something that is a lot more expensive (like meat or seafood).

• Like 2

of course you are correct...

but look at it this way, I love caviar, but many dont, I got my fill on the Vista, when you could get all the caviar (black) you could eat in the Terrace....they did that cause we missed 2 ports...a gesture of sorts...

so if you hate caviar, why would you eat it, since pizza makes you happy...

I hate all lobster, shrimp, etc...and always complain that so many salads and pastas have seafood in them...O does not loose any money on me in that respect, when I see plates piled high with lobster....unless I am eating caviar....lol...

17 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Weird how people extol bread and rolls, which means they aren't eating something that is a lot more expensive (like meat or seafood).

Sometimes people just choose to eat what they like and aren’t trying to squeeze the last bit of everything that’s available for the money they have spent.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, osandomir said:

... aren’t trying to squeeze the last bit of everything that’s available for the money they have spent.

By George, I think you've got it. They've substituted eating an inexpensive item rather than an expensive item. The cost of the food itself to O. And it all adds up over time.

10 hours ago, jonthomas said:

But I do get criticized by people who say they don't go on a cruise to eat pizza.

I live with a Pizzaholic so I’m glad the Pizza is available!! And as far as the other poster said one pizza was too big for one person-….we had a big hee haw- they have no idea what a 🍕holic can consume and then say they are satiated!!🤣😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 6/20/2024 at 8:49 AM, sunlover12 said:

They'll ask you if you want any and some restaurants will add an extra charge if you do.

Here in Seattle, at the 'better' restaurants, I've seen menus where bread is $7-$12 for some slices. The bread is made off-site at special bakeries. We can buy whole loaves there for $8.

9 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

What kinda of pizza did you order? Maybe not the kind that is popular in Iowa. 

5 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I've read your 'issue' with the smoothies and I also remember giving you info about how the people who drink smoothies don't remotely fit the demographic of people who travel on O.

Also I've been reading this thread from the bottom up. It's really clear to me that you will never cruise Oceania again. Bon voyage. Sincerely.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

dropping Jaques for Ember was an "improvement", as if adding a glorified Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday was an improvement.

💯 💯 💯 

in context of what was lost, agree.

For instance losing Kobe beef for black angus -which we can have anytime -or replacing caviar with a grilled cheese should not be Oceania’s standard.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Think dough. Bread. The use of bread, dough, to replace eating more expensive food. So, of course, O would love to have you fill up on bread, dough, as often as they can. Weird how people extol bread and rolls, which means they aren't eating something that is a lot more expensive (like meat or seafood).

It’s called an option. According to you nobody ate there anyways so I guess that argument doesn’t make sense. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I tend to eat what I enjoy rather than having a running tally in mind to make sure that I’ve got my money’s worth.  I also like options so that I can have a more casual meal if I’m in the mood for it.  And I assure you that the pizza on Vista from the pizzeria is NOTHING like pizza hut or other mass market pizza chains.  If you haven’t been on Vista then I am not sure that you can rightly claim otherwise.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, vlthom said:

... And I assure you that the pizza on Vista from the pizzeria is NOTHING like pizza hut or other mass market pizza chains.  If you haven’t been on Vista then I am not sure that you can rightly claim otherwise.  

I ate at the new pizza station on Riviera 11/2024. There isn't anything truly different or unique about Vista's station vis-a-vis Riviera's, so stop the Vista Cheerleading. The pizza was fine, decent, nothing to write home about. A LOT better than the junk pizza they served in the TC at lunch. But that isn't saying much. In my home town I could easily find a dozen pizza places where the pizza is better. (For example, a couple of Chicago deep-dish style places immediately come to mind.)

13 hours ago, clo said:

... I also remember giving you info about how the people who drink smoothies don't remotely fit the demographic of people who travel on O.

Also I've been reading this thread from the bottom up. It's really clear to me that you will never cruise Oceania again....

First, there is no age demographic for smoothies, though I do enjoy starting the day on an O ship with the Sun Salutation smoothie. Old and young alike can enjoy them, and everyone in between.

Second, we've got 22 more nights on Sirena starting Aug 28, 2024. Can't wait! So you seem quite confused about reality.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

It’s called an option.... 

And from O's perspective over the long run, it is an intended cost-cutting measure trying to disguise itself otherwise, but then the "best" cost-cutting measures are the ones people don't tend to realize reduce the company's costs.

Not sure why people struggle to understand how O (and NCL) took on mountains of debt that has to be repaid. And they've suffered from wholesale price inflation, too. So they are trying to reduce their costs and increase their operating profits. To literally stay afloat in the long run.

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I ate at the new pizza station on Riviera 11/2024. There isn't anything truly different or unique about Vista's station vis-a-vis Riviera's, so stop the Vista Cheerleading. The pizza was fine, decent, nothing to write home about. A LOT better than the junk pizza they served in the TC at lunch. But that isn't saying much. In my home town I could easily find a dozen pizza places where the pizza is better. (For example, a couple of Chicago deep-dish style places immediately come to mind.)

Wow….I am entitled to my opinion and certainly am not a “cheerleader”.  It’s not necessary to be insulting.  I liked the pizza.  You don’t.  Let’s leave it at that.  No need for nastiness.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1