Cruise Ships with Private Islands- Any Recommendations?

ca3799

I was thinking to take a family trip (6 to 8 people, grouped as 3 couples and 2 singles) on a cruise and had the idea to take an Eastern Caribbean cruise that stops at a cruise line owned private island. I think I liked the idea that everyone could have a long off-ship day on a beautiful beach with fun things to do and that an island stop would be fun for both the younger, more active folks who might enjoy some of the activities available on an island stop and the older, less active ones who would enjoy a tour of some thpe or just lounging about.

One of our party is disabled and dependent on a walker for mobility so this stop may not be of much benefit to this family member although I think I could sweet-talk them into going on the cruise and just staying on-board that day or taking an excursion that is not too physically taxing.

I'm interested in any opinions from folks who have taken a cruise that visits a private island. I think what appeals to me about this is that I think it will not crowded. Was that your experience? Did you think the visit was worthwhile?

Another question I have is how can I best find out what cruise lines have private islands?

Another question I have is does the island stop have an additional fee or it it included in the price of the cruise?

Another question I have is do the activities available on the island such as water toys (kayaks, floats, snorkel equipment- things that happen on the island) have an additional fee? Did you find enough fun things to do if you visited a private island? My thinking here is to offer to cover one activity per person if there is an additional fee. I understand that excursions and off-island activities would carry additional fees- that just makes sense- I'm just curious if on-island activities are part of the cruise.

Another question I have is that while the 3 couples would share a cabin, is it possible to have single rooms for the two singles. I don't think they  would room together well one is very, very chatty and the other very reserved. 

And finally, I have never used a travel agent. Would this be a situation where a travel agent would be best able to answer my questions and make the arrangements or is this something the cruise line would do?

Under Ports of Call, there is a Private Islands section that can probably give you a lot of information.  Each cruise line would also have information on their websites regarding all of the amenities on their private islands. 

This is by no means all of the private locations for cruises but here are examples in the Bahamas - Half Moon Cay is used by Holland America and Carnival.  Carnival is also working on a new private island called Celebration Key, which will have a dock.  CocoCay is used by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.  Great Stirrup Cay is used by NCL.  Ocean Cay is used by MSC.  Princess Cays is used by Princess.  Castaway Cay is used by Disney. 

Some of the private islands require a tender to go onshore and others have a dock. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Private islands - docks v tender (no dock):

Half Moon Cay - tender

Ocean Cay - dock

CocoCay - dock

Great Stirrup Cay - tender

Princess Cay - tender

Castaway Cay - dock

Tendering is dependent on weather and sea conditions and the port of call can be missed due to adverse conditions.  Tendering is also more time consuming and more physically demanding.  Mobility issues could be a concern with this.

Most destinations are mobility issue friendly, but I would check with the cruise line in question.

Each island is different form the others in terms of atmosphere and activities.  As examples, RCCL's CocoCay is a large waterpark with beaches and other activities while MSC is far more laid back.  As each line caters to somewhat different demographics, that would be research well worth doing IMO.

To your last question, given all you mention, I would definitely use a travel agent as they would be in the best position to help you align with the best cruise line fit for your expectations and budget, and would also have access to the best available fares often not published by the cruise lines.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Private islands - docks v tender (no dock):

Half Moon Cay - tender

Ocean Cay - dock

CocoCay - dock

Great Stirrup Cay - tender

Princess Cay - tender

Castaway Cay - dock

To add to your list:  NCL also has Harvest Caye which is an NCL/Belize joint venture.  (docking port)

https://www.ncl.com/newsroom/harvest-caye

• Like 2

We were on an RCI cruise that stopped at CoCoCay back in late 2022.   I was really kind of indifferent about it.   It turned out to be a really fun day.   There were two or three ships, so obviously lots of people.  The beach we were at was pretty empty with 3/4 of the lounge chairs unused.   There was a buffet kind of eating place right across from the beach.   For us it was a lot of fun at zero cost.  There are for-a-fee things like a water park, private cabanas, specialty foods, etc.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

To add to your list:  NCL also has Harvest Caye which is an NCL/Belize joint venture.  (docking port)

https://www.ncl.com/newsroom/harvest-caye

To add, RCCL has also announced plans for a private development in Cozumel, but who knows when that will be open. But to the OP's question, they are looking at Eastern Caribbean itineraries which would exclude both of these.

I could add Labadee as a possibility for the OP, which is a docking private destination for RCCL / Celebrity on the northern coast of Haiti.  But due to the unrest there that destination has been suspended, to date into 2025

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

We were on an RCI cruise that stopped at CoCoCay back in late 2022.   I was really kind of indifferent about it.   It turned out to be a really fun day.   There were two or three ships, so obviously lots of people.  The beach we were at was pretty empty with 3/4 of the lounge chairs unused.   There was a buffet kind of eating place right across from the beach.   For us it was a lot of fun at zero cost.  There are for-a-fee things like a water park, private cabanas, specialty foods, etc.   

Designed to hold two Oasis class ships at once - 12,000+ people. In our experience it has been limited to two ships.  For you it was a zero cost day, but for those interested in the water park, Coco Beach Club, or cabana's, etc., it can be a very costly day!  We, too, avoid those costs when we are there.

Which is another thing a travel agent could help sort out for the OP.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ca3799 said:

I'm interested in any opinions from folks who have taken a cruise that visits a private island. I think what appeals to me about this is that I think it will not crowded. Was that your experience? Did you think the visit was worthwhile?

We've been to Half Moon Cay, which we enjoyed.  It did not feel crowded when we were there.  Our ship was full but held about 2100 people.  I don't know what it's like when you are on one of the 4000+ passenger ships. 

Going to the island was just part of the cruise and the beach had lounge chairs available to anyone at no charge.  We did a stingray excursion before the beach and still had no problems finding chairs.  You could choose to take excursions or rent clamshells or cabanas at an additional cost.  The lunch buffet and some beverages (like juice and lemonade) was included but alcoholic beverages and sodas were extra.   

We did a stingray excursion, an island tram tour, and spent time swimming and on the beach.  I bought a light sundress at the small straw market and we bought a few shirts in the store.  It was a really nice, zero stress, day and I would be glad to go back any time.  We're scheduled to go back with HAL. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Designed to hold two Oasis class ships at once - 12,000+ people. In our experience it has been limited to two ships.  For you it was a zero cost day, but for those interested in the water park, Coco Beach Club, or cabana's, etc., it can be a very costly day!  We, too, avoid those costs when we are there.

Which is another thing a travel agent could help sort out for the OP.

Thanks, I knew we were right across from a Celebrity Edge(?) class ship but couldn't remember if there was another.  Looks like they are limited to two.  We were on one of the mega ships (Oasis?).  We hung out at "Chill Beach".    

I was pretty much following our family group so didn't really pay attention to what those places cost.   The CoCoCay water park looked impressive.  So did the free ones on the Oasis!  😀  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thanks, I knew we were right across from a Celebrity Edge(?) class ship but couldn't remember if there was another.  Looks like they are limited to two.  We were on one of the mega ships (Oasis?).  We hung out at "Chill Beach".    

I was pretty much following our family group so didn't really pay attention to what those places cost.   The CoCoCay water park looked impressive.  So did the free ones on the Oasis!  😀  

Just as comparison, our first time there was in 1992.  Had to tender to get to it and once there it very much was a deserted island.  No water park, only a few "developed" beaches, snack bar, couple of souvenir tents, and basically a lot of nothing.  It was quite nice and I miss those days!

Also don't know if you noticed the island adjacent to it less than a mile away.  That is NCL's private destination.  Frequently you can see one of their ships tendered there.

• Like 3

Please note that all of the Private Islands are not in the Caribbean, but the Bahamas.  There are two cruise line created destinations on the north coast or the Dominican Republic:  Puerto Plata and Amber Cove.  As previously mentioned,Harvest Caye in Belize.  Grand Turk is also a cruise line created port, as is Mahogany Bay on Roatan (for the Carnival family of cruise lines).  EM

• Like 2

Thanks so much everyone. I think I'm not clear on Eastern and Western Caribbean v Bahamas- so going to look at a map- LOL! I think I was just going on the little I had seen offered on various cruise lines and got overwhelmed with so much information. 

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions so much! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ca3799 said:

Thanks so much everyone. I think I'm not clear on Eastern and Western Caribbean v Bahamas- so going to look at a map- LOL! I think I was just going on the little I had seen offered on various cruise lines and got overwhelmed with so much information. 

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions so much! 

The private islands in the Bahamas are often stops on both Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries, so if you are interested in one of those islands, you can still choose a Caribbean itinerary.  Celebrity, for example, has 7 night Western Caribbean cruises with CocoCay and ports like Cozumel and Grand Caymen, and also 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruises with CocoCay and ports like San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. 

There's a lot of information out there but it should be fun taking a look at all the different cruise lines' itineraries and offerings. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

Castaway Cay is used by Disney. 

Disney also has a new one  - Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point.  However it's not totally "private" as it is a peninsula on the island of Eleuthera (Princess also uses Eleuthera for Princess Cays).  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Please note that all of the Private Islands are not in the Caribbean, but the Bahamas.  There are two cruise line created destinations on the north coast or the Dominican Republic:  Puerto Plata and Amber Cove.  As previously mentioned,Harvest Caye in Belize.  Grand Turk is also a cruise line created port, as is Mahogany Bay on Roatan (for the Carnival family of cruise lines).  EM

I've been to the Bahamas and didn't even know it!  😀

On 6/20/2024 at 3:39 PM, Mangrove Snapper said:

The private islands in the Bahamas are often stops on both Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries, so if you are interested in one of those islands, you can still choose a Caribbean itinerary.  Celebrity, for example, has 7 night Western Caribbean cruises with CocoCay and ports like Cozumel and Grand Caymen, and also 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruises with CocoCay and ports like San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. 

There's a lot of information out there but it should be fun taking a look at all the different cruise lines' itineraries and offerings. 

I really appreciate the suggestions I've gotten here. I'm taking some notes so I can better evaluate what is available and what it is I'm wanting to do on this trip. Thanks for this information- it's very helpful!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/20/2024 at 10:47 AM, ca3799 said:

I was thinking to take a family trip (6 to 8 people, grouped as 3 couples and 2 singles) on a cruise and had the idea to take an Eastern Caribbean cruise that stops at a cruise line owned private island. I think I liked the idea that everyone could have a long off-ship day on a beautiful beach with fun things to do and that an island stop would be fun for both the younger, more active folks who might enjoy some of the activities available on an island stop and the older, less active ones who would enjoy a tour of some thpe or just lounging about.

One of our party is disabled and dependent on a walker for mobility so this stop may not be of much benefit to this family member although I think I could sweet-talk them into going on the cruise and just staying on-board that day or taking an excursion that is not too physically taxing.

Another question I have is how can I best find out what cruise lines have private islands?

Another question I have is does the island stop have an additional fee or it it included in the price of the cruise?

Another question I have is do the activities available on the island such as water toys (kayaks, floats, snorkel equipment- things that happen on the island) have an additional fee? Did you find enough fun things to do if you visited a private island? My thinking here is to offer to cover one activity per person if there is an additional fee. I understand that excursions and off-island activities would carry additional fees- that just makes sense- I'm just curious if on-island activities are part of the cruise.

Another question I have is that while the 3 couples would share a cabin, is it possible to have single rooms for the two singles. I don't think they  would room together well one is very, very chatty and the other very reserved. 

And finally, I have never used a travel agent. Would this be a situation where a travel agent would be best able to answer my questions and make the arrangements or is this something the cruise line would do?

The private islands are wonderful beach days. You can spend lots (waterpark admission on Coco Cay, or the private Beach Club, or a cabana) or nothing just using the free chairs, umbrellas, and included lunch. We have been to Coco Cay, Labadee (both Royal) and Castaway (Disney). All three are beautiful landscaped and have calm water for swimming. 

Mobility - there are trams that will take a handicapped person to the beach and there are beach wheelchairs. My husband takes his mobility scooter and can get close to the beach on paved paths. To get to the water, we would have to push him on one of the available beach chairs. I personally hate those wheelchairs and find them really hard to push but they do allow him to get to the water. Our favorite place is The Beach Club at Coco Cay because he can use his scooter to get to some couches where we sit during the day. At Disney we rented a wheelchair accessible cabana which was fantastic as he could wheel right into the cabana. That was pricey but really lovely. CocoCay also has cabanas that he could wheel right to.