Live (sort of) from the Beyond. Our last minute trip

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from abbydancer2003! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

abbydancer2003 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Greetings from SFO, where for some reason I booked us on a Red Eye.  We're off to Ft. Lauderdale for B2B on the Beyond for two weeks.  How did this come about?  

My sister and I were on the Beyond in February.  I learned from the hostess in Luminae that the lovely Maitre'd was moving to a different location, and that the Maitre'd from the Equinox and later Eclipse was coming and bring Jesus (everybody knows Jesus!) was coming over in March.  We had our megatrip in late March, and I was a poll worker in early March, so I couldn't come back.  However, we had nothing between early May and August, so I picked a 6 day followed by an 8 day in June.   I learned from someone on the Solstice with me that I'd booked the Presidents cruise for the first one.  Quite by accident.

Air from SF to FLL was ridiculous in first class, but, if I took the red eye, coach was pretty cheap, so I booked the middle seat as well as aisle and window.  That should make it more comfortable.

Glen is telling me it's time to board, so I'll have more tomorrow.  

• Like 11

You know, I've never thought of booking three seats in coach instead of two in first.  Did you have to give a name for the third seat or just tell them two were for you or Glen? 

Enjoy your cruise and color most of the rest of us very jealous.

44 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

You know, I've never thought of booking three seats in coach instead of two in first.  Did you have to give a name for the third seat or just tell them two were for you or Glen? 

My wife and I have started doing it any time we are in economy. For most airlines, you just tell them it’s an extra seat for someone.  

mac_tlc

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

On United, there's a box you can check for an extra seat.   You then select comfort or extra baggage.  The seat gets a boarding pass. I scanned it so that nobody would think it was an empty and available seat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Beyond  June 21 Night

First the flight.  I don’t sleep on planes, so it was very helpful for me to hav the empty seat.  I spread  out a bit, and didn’t have to worry about someone next to me.  

First thing I did was to select a movie that I’m very familiar with   This is so that I don’t miss anything important if I sleep.  We had the TV on the middle seat set to the flight map, and it was kind of fun (or what passes for fun after 1 am) to watch the path of the flight.  Following that, I picked a random Harry Potter movie and watched the beginning of that. (Turn out it was Prisoner of Ashkaban).  One thing I did do when bored, change a flight next year.  Earlier in the day, I’d had an email that our flight home from our November Azamara cruise had changed to an hour earlier.  Which was fine, since it was originally a 6:30 pm non-stop.  Lots of hours to hang out in Miami airport.  It did, however, say that we could get one change to any flight within a short range.  So, since the only site I could visit was United.  I looked at all the connecting flights, and discovered all were free.  So I moved us to a 1pm departure, which eliminates a lot of our wait time. 

Otherwise an uneventful flight. They did a few drink services throughout  (coffee and water mostly) and the flight ended up being about 35 minutes early.  

After leaving the plane, we stopped at the United Club to use the rest room.  When I got out, Glen was sitting at a table having a light breakfast of eggs and sausage.  (The staff who scanned the boarding passes said to have breakfast if we wanted).  I got a small amount of eggs and potatoes.

After that, we went to baggage claim, and bags were going around but we were pretty sure it was from a previous flight.  Once the bags from our flight came, ours came quickly.  We had them 5 minutes before the flight was supposed to land.  Not bad.

On that note, I’ll stop for now, as I’m nodding off.  We spent today with friends, and I’ll go into that a little bit tomorrow.

• Like 13

Beyond Day 0 

We last left us at the airport with our bags at 7:30.  We were planning to spend the day with our friends Ann and Ralph, who we know from our Caribbean Princess cruise last fall.  She works out early in the morning, so told us she’d be done by 8, and would pick us up at the airport (I’d emailed about doing lunch).  

I found which door we were near, and about 15 minutes later, she texted that she was home and would be there within 20 minutes.  So we went out at 8 and she was there a couple minutes later.  We were able to get one of our suitcases into the trunk but had put the other into the back seat. 

Once at her condo, we called Ralph at his gym and decided to go to breakfast at a local restaurant.  The issue was the suitcase in the back seat.  Ann suggested that we just leave it by the parking space, but we weren’t exactly comfortable with that (the issue is that her condo is on the second floor with no elevator).  She then suggested the office for the complex.  That was fine, as it was out of sight.

We had breakfast at a little cafe that I believe is a Turkish cafe, since there was a Turkish breakfast item.  I had eggs and bacon, nothing exciting.  After breakfast it was back to their condo for a couple of hours.  While there, I helped with with getting onto the the Power Up points thread on Cruise Critic, since they need 1 more point to make Elite before their next cruise in September.  If there’s a July activity, they can do it.

Next activity was lunch.  They took us to a neighborhood bar which was pretty much famous for a large number of beers, both on tap and in the display refrigerators that covered all the walls (may have been the Riverside Market - not sure).  Everyone but me had beer.  We all had different sandwiches and shared fries.  The food was good, and I enjoyed a coke.

After that, back to the condo and then at 3:15 or so, it was time for us to go the hotel.  Ann took us since we had to grab the suitcase back.  

I have a standing request for a high floor Marriott.   When I looked at the app, it said they’d reserved a low floor.  I did chat and they said there was construction on 10 and 11, so low to avoid noise.  I asked them to change it and they did.  However when we got there, they said they had a corner room on floor 10, but it was right below the construction.  So we talked about other corner rooms, and they said 9, 6 and 7.  I asked for 7, but it wasn’t ready, so we decided to wait.  We went to the restaurant and had lattes while we waited.  

About 4:55, our room was ready.  I went to the front desk and it was 901, which was higher than we wanted, but at that point I figured it was one night. 

From the room, we did hear some noises during the first hour.  They told me they started construction at 9, and we’ll be up by then.    We rested and I took a lovely shower.  We had friends from our last cruise coming to pick us up at 7:10, so at 7:05 we headed to the lobby.   The last two times we were her, one of the elevators was being updated but this time, they’re both working.  While in the lobby I asked how much the shuttle to the cruise terminals was, because this time we’re the only ship there (June and December are very different seasons in the Caribbean).  The price went up to 9.00 per person, so not as cost effective as Uber or Lyft.

We had reservations at a local Cuban chain called Padrinos/. It was great and their Churassco (skirt steak) was amazing.   We had a  very nice dinner, and it was great seeing them.

About 9:45 we got back to the hotel.  I wrote the last update and went to bed.  Tomorrow we board!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Straughn said:

And here I was hoping you and Glen would be on Beyond for my birthday cruise in September.
Pat

Would love that, but we're on Apex until 9/7 and I don't think I can talk Glen into September.

Need updates on Elite benefits on a 6 day cruise for our August cruise on Beyond. My app shows it includes a ship tour and 2 captain's parties, but no freebie for the Persian Gardens on a sea day plus other specials. If you're an elite, would love to know if you received a notice at boarding all the options.

1 hour ago, chrismch said:

My app shows it includes a ship tour and 2 captain's parties, but no freebie for the Persian Gardens on a sea day plus other specials.

Correct.  No free Persian Gardens on a SEA day.  Only on a PORT day.  Thanks for finding all of the Captain’s Club tiers in the app.  That is a handy feature.  I haven’t compared it to the website.  In the stateroom on Day 1 you should find a printed sheet listing these Elite tier benefits as well.  Yes, it would be nice to see this Elite list currently being distributed on board.  However, Abbydancer is at a higher Captain’s Club tier than Elite I believe.

Bon voyage Abbydancer and Glen!!

8 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

No free Persian Gardens on a SEA day.  Only on a PORT day.  

I thought this excluded Edge class ships? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrismch said:

Need updates on Elite benefits on a 6 day cruise for our August cruise on Beyond. My app shows it includes a ship tour and 2 captain's parties, but no freebie for the Persian Gardens on a sea day plus other specials. If you're an elite, would love to know if you received a notice at boarding all the options.

Here are the Elite Benefits flier we received last month on Millennium. Persian Garden is not mentioned at all. 

IMG_1151.thumb.JPG.0348895f03895495f9f644b7081ecd05.JPG

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the on the ship printout of the Elite benefit events. Did they have 4-5 breakfast options in the Tuscan Grille and not just coffee and Danish? Last year I remember having a wonderful cold plate of smoked salmon and fruit for breakfast there.

Edited by chrismch

14 hours ago, chrismch said:

I think there are 2 parties.  I'll have pictures of the benefits page on my update for today (yesterdays update is almost ready to go).  This is the Presidents cruise, so may be different, but it's in a separate section of the brochure for Presidents cruise.  

And the Persian garden benefit is, I believe, excluded from E ships.

On 6/22/2024 at 8:00 PM, mac_tlc said:

My wife and I have started doing it any time we are in economy. For most airlines, you just tell them it’s an extra seat for someone.  

mac_tlc

Until some family wants folks to move around to accommodate them and they see your empty seat.  Gotta hold your ground.

I heard JFK Jr used to do this all the time purchase seats on both sides of him.

17 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Until some family wants folks to move around to accommodate them and they see your empty seat.  Gotta hold your ground.

I heard JFK Jr used to do this all the time purchase seats on both sides of him.

I was thinking the same thing. Someone is going to see your empty seat and like your location better and get their nose out of joint. I like this idea but don't want to pay full price for another seat. 

7 minutes ago, depplep said:

I was thinking the same thing. Someone is going to see your empty seat and like your location better and get their nose out of joint. I like this idea but don't want to pay full price for another seat. 

I don't mind paying the full price for the empty seat but if it can be taken away because someone else things they want it, then that is just wrong.  I am not a fan of people having to give up their selected seat just for the convenience of someone who did not book far enough in time to get the seats they wanted. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

34 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I don't mind paying the full price for the empty seat but if it can be taken away because someone else things they want it, then that is just wrong.  I am not a fan of people having to give up their selected seat just for the convenience of someone who did not book far enough in time to get the seats they wanted. 

We pay for the third seat and, depending on the airline, it’s assigned to us with a boarding pass and everything. No issue with someone thinking it’s empty. We put the boarding pass on the seat so the attendants know. On SW, they give you a slip that looks like a boarding pass and we leave it on the middle seat. No one wants that anyway. The flight attendants usually ask once to make sure it’s a paid for seat, then there are no issues.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 7:14 PM, DaKahuna said:

This is what made me say I wouldn't pay for the extra seat. If it costs as much as first class. More like "couldn't" pay that. But I will check into it next time if the price is in my ballpark. 

• Like 1

Beyond Day 1.

Today is boarding day.  I’m hoping to see a few people that I know.

We got up around 8:45, got dressed, and went to breakfast.  Because of status, I get free breakfast at most Marriotts.  We opted for the buffet, and I had eggs and bacon with a pancake.  Not terribly excited.

After breakfast, we went back to the room.  I looked out and our ship is there. 

image.jpeg.70402281971dc9c20ae693c7277cfc5a.jpeg

Glen had this idea that our boarding was at noon, and I said 11, and we could go whenever we wanted.  So he took a brief nap and at around 10:45 we headed down and called an Uber.  Les than the price of one on the shuttle, so even with tip, it would be cheaper.

Our driver came around 10:55, and we headed out.  I’m not sure he’s been to the Celebrity pier before, because at the gate he asked where it was.  He was using GPS, though, so he got us there fairly quickly.   We dropped our bags, showed the boarding passes to several people on the way to the retreat area, went through security, got checked in (including a picture - I don’t know why I bother to upload one) and on to the ship.  All told, about 15 minutes.

Once on the ship we headed up to our room to drop the backpacks.  We’re on starboard about 10 rooms behind the forward elevators.  We’d booked this with a suite guarantee, since there wasn’t much choice left and we weren’t going to be able to stay in the same room for both cruises, so it was a decent choice.  The steward had set most of it up.  We did put our wallets and passports into the safe and then headed up to the retreat lounge.  

It was fairly busy and there was a line.  I decided to ask about one of our dinner reservations for the next cruise.  During the flash sale, I booked a 4 dinner package, and on my birthday (6/30) I wanted to eat at LeVoyage.  That was the only one where the day matters, so I thought I’d try.  Azino, the concierge, remembered me (which was nice) and said she’d send a note to the Maitre’d to reserve it (the issue is that it’s not on this cruise).  

After that, we headed to the Art Gallery to finish our muster drill (we did the videos when we dropped our bags),   From there, we went down to deck 4 and toured the ship.  I pointed out the small differences with Apex, specifically the sunset bar, the shops by the entrance to Eden, and the free standing martini bar.   Along the way, we went through the entrance to Eden.  All are different.

image.jpeg.d902d3604d264b538360d3e9292d44f5.jpeg

Glen reminded me that Edge has trees and I think Apex has funhouse mirrors.

After that, Glen decided to go to the room to take a nap (he likes doing that) and I went to the lounge to read a book on my phone.  

While I was there, Concierge Ian came by, and we reconnected (he was there in February).  At about 1:20, I decided that I should probably get him, as I wasn’t sure if lunch closed at 1:30 or 2.   We arrived at 1:31, and Kema, the hostess from February remembered me.  I asked if the new Maitre’d was Arika, and she said, yes and she’s right behind you.  We had a very nice reunion.  (I think this is our 4th cruise and third ship together).  I asked if Gary or Ali were still there, and if Jesus had come with Arika.  Ali just left for vacation, and Gary has gone to Ascent, but Jesus is here.  So I asked for him to be our water, and they said yes.

His section is at the front of the ship, and we were seated there.  We got big hugs when he saw us.  

For lunch we both had the new “borsch”, which is not the red borsch my mother loved.  It’s more of a stew, with yellow beets.  I tried last cruise and decided it was pretty good, and easier than have them replace the kale with romaine in the salad.  I had the New York steak as I usually do.  I asked for medium rare, but I got medium, which is OK.  Glen had the soup and the Cobb Salad.  He said it was good, but the chicken was rather dry.  For dessert, I had the berry cobbler.  Glen decided to skip, but Made, the assistant waiter brought him vanilla ice cream.  It’s been 2.5 years since we’ve last had Jesus, and he remembered.  Wow.

During lunch a couple of servers remembered me and stopped by to say hi.  One was our assistant waiter from February.  He shared that he’d been on vacation and was just back.  His wife is now expecting their second child and he asked me to share that with my sister.  (They talked about that a lot in February).

After lunch Glen went back to the room, and I went to the Captains Club desk to ask about tickets for the Captain’s Club event in Bimini. There was a line, and the people at the two desks were taking a long time.  A couple got in line behind me. They told me it was their first cruise, and they were asking about dinner reservations.  I found out they were asking about Blu, so I told them they didn’t need to wait.  

Once it was my turn, I found out I don’t need tickets, just show up, so back to the room.  The luggage had arrived, so we unpacked.  Glen realized he left all his pants on the bed.  So I guess in Grand Cayman we’ll look for somewhere he can get one pair, and then on turn around day, we’ll go shopping in Ft. Lauderdale (Does anyone know if there’s something like Kohls, Target or a well stocked mall nearby?)

While there, we sailed. 

image.jpeg.13c42c4c85c90069c23bcc39c3cbbb95.jpeg

I also met our butler Rudy.

Next stop was the lounge for a cocktail  before dinner.  Glen tried one of the Retreat Lounge specials, and I had a light rum punch.  There are new bartenders there.  

At about 8 we went to Luminae, but there was a bit of a line, so we weren’t out to the sundeck to look at whether you could see stars.  It was raining a bit, so no.  We waited about 10 minutes and then went in.  It was still pretty busy, so Arika first seated us at a 4 top, but we decided we didn’t like the round table for two people.  We went to the front of the restaurant (hostess station is in the back), and found a table near the back wall.

We won’t do that again, as it’s along the corridor from the kitchen, so people were going by all the time.  I’d rather wait for a table than that.

It took a little while to get service, but it went well after that.  I started with the Daniel Boulud corn soup, without the prawn.  It’s chilled and pretty good with this asparagus mousse thing.  There’s supposed to be crispy leeks, but I don’t think they put them in so next time I’ll ask for extra.  For my main, I tried the guinea hen with spaghetti squash and pepitas. 

image.jpeg.93b2e940bf3563b896e1cbcf880ca11b.jpeg

It was good, and the pipits were there.  

When the dessert menu came, I noticed that one of the desserts, the Vacharin, had a different description on the app than in the restaurant (I’ve seen that before occasionally).  I mentioned that to Jesus, as I thought it was funny, and he took phone to show the chefs.  Apparently, they ended up sending an email to someone about it.

This is the Vacharin we got.  Not sure which one, but it was good.  

image.jpeg.587fb4a6a8ba50ee4edbf4e08800c448.jpeg

Before we got our desserts, Jesus brought us each a small bowl of strawberry sorbet as a palette cleanser.  I’d given up on those a couple of years ago, but he remembered we liked them.  Wow again.

After dinner it was back to the room and we called it a night.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

@abbydancer2003 Patiently awaiting your return back to Port Everglades on Saturday to hop on for the ABC portion.  If you stop by the Martini Bar, please make sure they have enough Tito’s Vodka for next week. And the same for the Sunset Bar to ensure there will be enough Bacardi rum!!! 😂😂😂

Will be following your report…

Edited by ravenrob
  • Haha 1