Sanctuary Suites on Sun

suzyed

Maybe this is a stupid question but are the Santuary Suites part of the Sanctuary or is there a seperate area like the Sanctuary for those in those suites? 
If it's all the same, isn't that going to make it harder for others to book the Sanctuary?  It's hard enough already...so should we just resign ourselves to the fact that we won't get space in the Sanctuary?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe this is a stupid question but are the Santuary Suites part of the Sanctuary or is there a seperate area like the Sanctuary for those in those suites? 
If it's all the same, isn't that going to make it harder for others to book the Sanctuary?  It's hard enough already...so should we just resign ourselves to the fact that we won't get space in the Sanctuary?

Edited by suzyed
double post

Since no one has responded I'll pass on what I read when Princess decided to change things in April.  When the Sun was 1st launched the sanctuary was supposed to allow sanctuary suite class cabins to have exclusive access to the Signature Sun Deck, a private area of the Sanctuary. In April they changed to the sanctuary collection for suites, premium location mini-suites, & some balcony staterooms to now have access to the sanctuary & added other perks. I don't know how this works but it was stated sanctuary class travelers can claim loungers & seats 1st daily then it would be opened to adults only. We don't cruise until Dec. so I don't have 1st hand knowledge. 

• Like 1

As of October 14/24, will there be day passes for non Sanctuary collection passengers to purchase for access to the Sanctuary and or the cabanas in the Sanctuary?

I did not think so.

Seems like an over crowded area when Sun gets to Florida cruises.

• Like 1

I assumed the Sanctuary would no longer be available for non-Sanctuary suite guests once the changes start in October. Could be wrong of course. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dog said:

As of October 14/24, will there be day passes for non Sanctuary collection passengers to purchase for access to the Sanctuary and or the cabanas in the Sanctuary?

I did not think so.

Seems like an over crowded area when Sun gets to Florida cruises.

We are cruising on Princess for the first time in couple of weeks.  If the changes that are being planned happen on the Sun, then we will be one and done.   We really enjoy MSC YC and HAL Rotterdam with Club Orange.  I am happy that we are sailing the Sun when we are and glad that there are proven options in case we don’t like the changes that Princess is planning to make.   

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

I assumed the Sanctuary would no longer be available for non-Sanctuary suite guests once the changes start in October. Could be wrong of course. 

That's what I'm hearing on the youtube video.  Don't like that!  And then I heard the Enclave is $49/per day but only port days?  Or by the week for God knows how much?

Edited by suzyed

We have not sailed on the SUN yet,  but based on everything that we have been seeing and hearing, I am afraid the we will agree with the above post.

This is a huge ship, with absolutely no areas that are free from bright screens and noisy speakers.  No adult only areas for non 'exclusive only' guests.  ( sad )

From what I understand, when the new Sanctuary Class system is fully implemented, beginning Oct. 14,  there will be no access for any non-sanctuary class guests.

I do wonder if many of the cabanas go unrented...  As Sanctuary Class guests already have full access, and have paid a lot for it.  (except some who got grandfathered in)

34 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

We have not sailed on the SUN yet,  but based on everything that we have been seeing and hearing, I am afraid the we will agree with the above post.

This is a huge ship, with absolutely no areas that are free from bright screens and noisy speakers.  No adult only areas for non 'exclusive only' guests.  ( sad )

From what I understand, when the new Sanctuary Class system is fully implemented, beginning Oct. 14,  there will be no access for any non-sanctuary class guests.

I do wonder if many of the cabanas go unrented...  As Sanctuary Class guests already have full access, and have paid a lot for it.  (except some who got grandfathered in)

I heard that the Cabanas in the Sanctuary class area are $500/day!!  Yikes!

Very disappointed that we will not get to enjoy the Sanctuary on the Sun.  We only just tried it for the first time a few weeks back on the Enchanted and enjoyed it very much!!

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Out of my 5 bookings on Sun, I cancelled 2 because of this mess, confusion and Princess cancelled one.

I am very disappointed with the changes and would not in the future book a suite or sanctuary cabin- just not what it was described to be.

My first booking was a Do aft with Signature benefits and upgrades advertised.

IMG_5677.jpeg

Princess has really scewed up what should have been a good thing. We booked the Signature suite with premier with what I felt was a reasonable price (about 30% less than X Retreat and 10% more than MSC YC). Was thinking the Sphere class would be a nice potential option for future suite cruise travel. Then came the 'confusion'..... Princess said they 'upgraded' us when they created the new Sanctuary Class even though there were no additional benefits. Basically we could have saved money by buying deluxe package initially. They could have made some points by offering some OBC for the Signature guests who did buy Premier. At the same time they jacked the price overnight by about 25%.  While this does not affect my cruise it does limit the viability of these cabins in my mind for our future cruise needs. 

Dining was supposed to be available to be booked earlier for suite guests....NADA (I called Princess was told there was no info and sent a 'directed' e-mail to them over a month ago which of course was never answered). 

I received an e-mail saying dining could be booked on 7/1 (our cruise is in Jan 25) but sense this was sent to all passengers and thinking there will be a scramble for booking (mostly interested in Magic Castle show). 

The questions about purchase of separate Sanctuary access are another seeming mystery. Will the 'suite' area of Sanctuary be maintained or will everything be opened up?

Excited to try Sun but it is hard to believe how disorganized the roll out of this ship has been.

X Retreat has alienated many loyal passengers with massive price increases with ammenity drop off. I am hoping that Princess Sphere does not follow suit but they look like they are.

MSC YC has been the singular suite program (IMHO) that has maintained somewhat consistent pricing and ammenities.

We’re in a Penthouse Suite on the first TA in September. Will be our first TA and our first suite experience. I expect it will also be our last suite experience too, at least on the Sun and Star. With the introduction of the Sanctuary Suites, the prices seem to have gone through the roof. Best we don’t get too settled into the ‘Suite Life’ on the TA as we won’t be able to afford it again 🤣

Posted (edited)

You have to stop thinking about the Sanctuary on the Sun in the same way as the Sanctuary on all other Princess ships.  It really is like the Retreat sun deck on Celebrity ships.  It's a separate place for suite quests to go that is not the main pool.  There are some similarities but not the same experience.

There is absolutely NO shade whatsoever except for what is cast from the building that holds the elevator shaft and bathrooms.  We were constantly shifting from lounger to lounger to stay out of the sun.  There IS a limited menu to choose from for lunch but there is no afternoon tea.  There is an actual bar that you can walk up to but they will bring you drinks if you want.  I don't think that you need to stay as quiet as you do in other ships.

It was rarely used on our sailing but that was April in the Mediterranean.  That's when people could pay to come in.  I don't think anyone did.  And yes, the cabanas are $499 for the day!!  Outrageous if you ask me.  And yes, they were used a few times.  But again, the loungers are not in the shady part!  

And I will say, there are TONS of places to hang out outside that is not the main pool.  We stuck to the Sanctuary (should be called the Suite Deck to avoid confusion) but were very surprised at the number of outside spaces.

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

We’re in a Penthouse Suite on the first TA in September. Will be our first TA and our first suite experience. I expect it will also be our last suite experience too, at least on the Sun and Star. With the introduction of the Sanctuary Suites, the prices seem to have gone through the roof. Best we don’t get too settled into the ‘Suite Life’ on the TA as we won’t be able to afford it again 🤣

I won't do a suite on the Sun again.  Not at those prices!  They completely diluted the Suite experience and increased the cost.  Glad you got in before the Oct 1 changes.  You will have fun.

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser

Posted (edited)

Sox Fan,  I am happy to see you mention other 'outside spaces'.

Looking at the deck plans, I am not sure I am seeing them.

I would love to hear recommendations as to the best areas to check out.

You could even contact me, with specifics.

I wonder if your perception was because of a less than capacity ship and cooler weather.

The main (continuous MUTS) pool deck, leading up to the Dome.   I would imagine these areas would be fairly crowded all the way up and down deck.   The Sun Deck in front of the Dome is large, but again...  packed in, only shade is the tint of the blue glass.    Just not a 'cruising on deck' experience.

The wake view bar is a very small area...  Not even sane on a ship this size.

And I am seeing/hearing that it is packed as well.

I am sure all the kids just love the one shallow pool there on deck.  Which is not large.  

In example:  In addition to the Main Pool Area,  the Regal Princess has a larger Wake-View area.

The areas of deck and loungers on promenade AFT Port and Starboard.

A large, all the way from Port to Starboard, adult Retreat pool area.  (which, even with its large size, is very full on sea days in warm weather)

Endless upper raised-deck area on those top decks.

And the Sanctuary.  

SUN does not have these. 

There is no denying the obvious.

I think that comments that are coming in now that the weather in Europe is warm, are reflecting this.

Just wait until the SUN gets to the Caribbean!

Edited by Wishing on a star

2 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I won't do a suite on the Sun again.  Not at those prices!  They completely diluted the Suite experience and increased the cost.  Glad you got in before the Oct 1 changes.  You will have fun.

Yes, your description "diluted the experience and increased costs"...  You nailed it.

Know there could be similar changed coming to other Princess ships.  

On 6/1/2024 at 4:38 PM, robertmartha said:

Fortunate

Last fall we were upgraded from a V1 on Deck 5 to a V3 on deck 7 - room was a connecting AND the room next to the white area on the deck plan (service passageway and stairwell). I was not a happy camper. Happy to report absolutely NO sound issues from either side - in fact the only reason we knew people were in the cabin next to us was because we would see the room stewards cleaning the cabin. It actually was nice not having a cabin/balcony on one side of us.

LOVED the Ovation (we sailed on the Odyssey twice before). Even though she carries more passengers - we liked the added space/size to the public areas but did think the retreat area could/should be utilized for ALL passengers. Would book the Ovation or Encore (or any Seabourn ship!) again in a second. We are in that mindset of there is no going back to a "mainstream" line after you have sailed on Seabourn 😉

On 6/9/2024 at 9:45 AM, lisa6191 said:

FYI, we also sleep with white noise, and there are several free mobile apps that you can use for this so you don’t even have to bring a small noise machine.

On 6/22/2024 at 9:21 AM, tothemall&beyond said:

It does not seem to be a glitch. Another bad decision from Padgett.

On 6/25/2024 at 2:26 PM, suzyed said:

I heard that the Cabanas in the Sanctuary class area are $500/day!!  Yikes!

Very disappointed that we will not get to enjoy the Sanctuary on the Sun.  We only just tried it for the first time a few weeks back on the Enchanted and enjoyed it very much!!

The cabanas in the Retreat on Seabourn are $249.00 for sea days. 

39 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am happy to see you mention other 'outside spaces'.

Don't forget the Sea View Terrace as an outdoor space - we loved it!

Image preview

image.thumb.jpeg.9f8472fb9627f6a199cb1633bc753c73.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Sox Fan,  I am happy to see you mention other 'outside spaces'.

You could even contact me, with specifics.

I wonder if your perception was because of a less than capacity ship and cooler weather.

The main (continuous MUTS) pool deck, leading up to the Dome.   I would imagine these areas would be fairly crowded all the way up and down deck.   The Sun Deck in front of the Dome is large, but again...  packed in, only shade is the tint of the blue glass.    Just not a 'cruising on deck' experience.

The wake view bar is a very small area...  Not even sane on a ship this size.

And I am seeing/hearing that it is packed as well.

I am sure all the kids just love the one shallow pool there on deck.  Which is not large.  

In example:  In addition to the Main Pool Area,  the Regal Princess has a larger Wake-View area.

The areas of deck and loungers on promenade AFT Port and Starboard.

A large, all the way from Port to Starboard, adult Retreat pool area.  (which, even with its large size, is very full on sea days in warm weather)

Endless upper raised-deck area on those top decks.

And the Sanctuary.  

SUN does not have these. 

There is no denying the obvious.

I think that comments that are coming in now that the weather in Europe is warm, are reflecting this.

Just wait until the SUN gets to the Caribbean!

I’m not a good person to answer most of these questions. I only looked down on the from up above. Other than the Wheelhouse bar, I was only in the suite areas the entire 10 days. Never spent any time other than the initial walkthrough anywhere else. 

But all those areas have a lot of deck chairs and perfect for lounging around. I wouldn’t be worried about it. There are also tons of padded sitting areas along both sides of the ship a on the promenade. Not beach lingers but still a great place to read a book. So the population will be spread out all over the ship. Our ship was full and it never felt like it except at 7:30pm at the MDR. That was a cluster!  

Seriously, I think will enjoy your cruise even if you are not in a suite. I really liked the ship.  

Posted (edited)

Thank you dides!

We have been super excited to see a new Princess ship!   These changes have changed expectations.

How busy, and how easy/difficult to find loungers that weren't all packed in like a main pool deck?

I am sure it is beautiful...  But wonder if it does not come off as  'institutional' Maybe if it  had shaded areas, barriers with plants, etc...

There are sure to be a lot of kids during Fall Break here.

I am not sure we will see how all of this goes until we see this all unfold.

Caribbean might be a different experience.

Edited by Wishing on a star