Westerdam pizza

1 hour ago, Publicans said:

Hi,

We are new to HAL and curious whether pizza is available on the Westerdam? If so, is there an extra charge?

Thanks in advance,

Margo

It is available from the Lido Market during lunch and dinner and from 10:30 pm to 11:30 pm. Times can vary on particular sailings. There is no extra charge.   You can't request special pizzas like you can on HAL Pinnacle Ships

They don't have a dedicated pizza place like NY Pizza on the Pinnacle ships.

Pizza is not available from Room Service.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

It is available from the Lido Market during lunch and dinner and from 10:30 pm to 11:30 pm. Times can vary on particular sailings. There is no extra charge.   You can't request special pizzas like you can on HAL Pinnacle Ships

They don't have a dedicated pizza place like NY Pizza on the Pinnacle ships.

Pizza is not available from Room Service.

Thank you. DH will be happy. 🙂

• Like 1

I love HAL and have 150 cruise days, but I'd never eat their pizza. It's just bad, the complete opposite of what you get on Princess. I thought trying it right out of the oven would be okay, but it was still vile, thick tasteless crust with little on top. There's so much that they do well, and even great, but pizza is their weakest item. On the other hand, they have very good pasta, made-to-order, and they have amazing Beecher's mac and cheese. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

I love HAL and have 150 cruise days, but I'd never eat their pizza. It's just bad, the complete opposite of what you get on Princess. I thought trying it right out of the oven would be okay, but it was still vile, thick tasteless crust with little on top. There's so much that they do well, and even great, but pizza is their weakest item. On the other hand, they have very good pasta, made-to-order, and they have amazing Beecher's mac and cheese. 

Agreed, HAL pizza is awful and I hadn't touched it in years. It's always dry, flavorless, and practically burnt from sitting under a warmer too long. I recently went on my first cruise on Rotterdam and did try the made to order pizza at the NY pizza and deli, and enjoyed it very much. It was fresh and tasty with great toppings. It's a specialty pizza that doesn't quite compare to Princess' plainer slices, but I was pleasantly surprised to finally find edible pizza on a HAL ship. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, rj59 said:

You need to try the separate NY Pizza on selected HAL ships - cooked to order and delicious!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sunset Viewers said:

You need to try the separate NY Pizza on selected HAL ships - cooked to order and delicious!

That is the New York Deli on the Pinnacle class ships I mentioned.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

So as someone whose been on MSC and had their pizza (Italian line so really good) should my expectations be low?

This was from the Oosterdam - delicious

20240416_125809.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

So as someone whose been on MSC and had their pizza (Italian line so really good) should my expectations be low?

Like any other food item, "good" is totally subjective. True Italian pizza is different from what Americans expect their pizza to be, and there are many variations in between.

Best advice, just try it one day. You may like it, love it, or hate it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Like any other food item, "good" is totally subjective. True Italian pizza is different from what Americans expect their pizza to be, and there are many variations in between.

Best advice, just try it one day. You may like it, love it, or hate it. 

I know. I've been to Naples and had it. Not a fan of "American" pizza since then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

I know. I've been to Naples and had it. Not a fan of "American" pizza since then.

That's subjective as well. We have been to Italy multiple times. Naples 3 times. Venice probably had the best of all the pizza's we tried, but I still love my Chicago pizza the best!

29 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

That's subjective as well. We have been to Italy multiple times. Naples 3 times. Venice probably had the best of all the pizza's we tried, but I still love my Chicago pizza the best!

Naples is the origin though. We were directed to a nice place with only Italians. No tourist spot. Pizza I had in Venice tasted too American.

Quote:

Naples is undoubtedly the most famous location for pizza not just in Italy, but the world. In Naples not only can you visit the oldest pizzeria in the world, the gorgeous Antica Pizzeria Port’Alba, but you can also visit the so-called “best-rated pizzeria in the world”, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele.

We have been to both. Waited about 1.5 hours for da Michele. Disappointed.  The crust was not crispy.. kinda floppy. But the wine was excellent!

Venice restaurant Ce pizza was very good. Ate there 2 times in the month we had in Venice.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Quote:

Naples is undoubtedly the most famous location for pizza not just in Italy, but the world. In Naples not only can you visit the oldest pizzeria in the world, the gorgeous Antica Pizzeria Port’Alba, but you can also visit the so-called “best-rated pizzeria in the world”, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele.

We have been to both. Waited about 1.5 hours for da Michele. Disappointed.  The crust was not crispy.. kinda floppy. But the wine was excellent!

Venice restaurant Ce pizza was very good. Ate there 2 times in the month we had in Venice.

Love Port'Alba. We got invited into the kitchen to stretch dough. We have 5 others in Naples we recommend before da Michele. It's good, but not worth the wait when there's so many other amazing places in a 5 minute walk.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 9:50 AM, rj59 said:

I wish they would try a cauliflower crust. They really do make a great pizza.  We eat them at home all the time now.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

YES! lower that bar. IMO Hal has the worst pizza of the main stream lines (and that includes the specialty made to order pizza from the Deli on Pinnacle ships). I could live on MSC pizza. In trade, Pizza is just about the only food MSC excels at while I've found the fresh grilled and made to order items on HAL to be quite delicious.

Goes without saying food is subjective.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

I wish they would try a cauliflower crust. They really do make a great pizza.  We eat them at home all the time now.

Have you tried the cauliflower Power protein pizza from Lean Cuisine? It was surprisingly delicious.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

YES! lower that bar. IMO Hal has the worst pizza of the main stream lines (and that includes the specialty made to order pizza from the Deli on Pinnacle ships). I could live on MSC pizza. In trade, Pizza is just about the only food MSC excels at while I've found the fresh grilled and made to order items on HAL to be quite delicious.

Goes without saying food is subjective.

🤣🤣🤣

HAL pizza is where you go at 11 at night when nothing else is available except for maybe room service. It isn't anything to write home about.  I'm Italian, I can be biased.  

However, Princess is outstanding and I found myself there numerous times, especially port days when everybody was packed into the Lido, it really wasn't all that crowded and made for a quick grab and go.  And it really IS fast.  Not like HAL pizza where you're standing there for 1/2 an hour.  They can slow it down and labor over it all they way, it's still cardboard. 

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Have you tried the cauliflower Power protein pizza from Lean Cuisine? It was surprisingly delicious.

You have me curious, I'm leaving for the store shortly, I'm going to look for it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, atexsix said:

🤣🤣🤣

HAL pizza is where you go at 11 at night when nothing else is available except for maybe room service. It isn't anything to write home about.  I'm Italian, I can be biased.  

They have food offerings at 11:00 on HAL ;-). On our 35 night cruise, there was VERY limited food after 8:00. I'm pretty sure the deli was closed up by 10:00 and after 8:00 the menu is very limited (although they don't bring out the wings until after 8:00 and these were quite good). A few nights I found myself skipping dinner and waiting for the wings.

I think they put out a few items at the lido from 10:30-11:00 but I was told those were not refilled. When they were gone, they were gone and the selection was sparce. HAL really could do a better job with later in the evening food offerings. I just read that they have reduced the room service menu with no more quesadilla which was my late night go-to after the bar (which was also locked up tight before midnight haha). 

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

They have food offerings at 11:00 on HAL ;-). On our 35 night cruise, there was VERY limited food after 8:00. I'm pretty sure the deli was closed up by 10:00 and after 8:00 the menu is very limited (although they don't bring out the wings until after 8:00 and these were quite good). A few nights I found myself skipping dinner and waiting for the wings.

I think they put out a few items at the lido from 10:30-11:00 but I was told those were not refilled. When they were gone, they were gone and the selection was sparce. HAL really could do a better job with later in the evening food offerings. I just read that they have reduced the room service menu with no more quesadilla which was my late night go-to after the bar (which was also locked up tight before midnight haha). 

That was the problem we had in the late night lido.  The evening ship employees would gobble it all up, and deservedly so, they need to eat too.  But to not replenish even once it's kinda ridiculous.  

• Like 1