Classic drinks package

2 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Forgive me for living in the past. I have a bad habit of doing that.

In the years prior to these drink packages , you could not walk 30 feet on any cruise ship without a beverage server asking you if you would like something to drink.

Now that many folks have chosen to pay for the drink package + gratuity in advance ( at prices that are far from discounted ) you have to line up , wait and hope you can be served in a reasonable amount of time.They already have your money ( and plenty of it ) so the reality is they are in no hurry for you to get your drink.

I would like to see folks stop buying these drink packages and go ala carte.

Maybe then the whole situation would be more enjoyable for the passengers , after all , they are paying for their cruise vacation and deserve maximum enjoyment for their cruise.

We have always purchased the drink package, but this cruise we are definitely not but paying as we go.  Our imbibing habits are pretty static so it should be a good comparison and a barometer for the next cruise.  If enough stop buying the package X may do something about the cost, as you say.

• Like 1

Just now, Guindalf said:

You STILL got the math wrong! Gratuity on $10.00 is $2.00, not $2.40! The only way you would pay $2.40 is if the drink was $12.00 and you were paying the difference over $10.00.

We are Canadian and will pay $12.40 approx due to exchange.  Point taken however....it's a gotcha!  Well done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We have always purchased the drink package, but this cruise we are definitely not but paying as we go.  Our imbibing habits are pretty static so it should be a good comparison and a barometer for the next cruise.  If enough stop buying the package X may do something about the cost, as you say.

The convenience factor of not having to sign and get a receipt has been wiped out by the high prices currently being charged for the drink package for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, horseymike said:

The convenience factor of not having to sign and get a receipt has been wiped out by the high prices currently being charged for the drink package for me.

I wonder if the price is set high due to those who enjoy more than the average drinks per day.  To balance out the cost to X, those who are less than average drinkers are charged more than what they would pay a la carte.  We'll see after this cruise how it comes out.  We don't mind paying the going rate but we see this pricing as excessive for the product being offered.  Having said this, I keep checking for a sale which will bring our cost close to the non-pkg pricing we think we'll pay.  That will change our minds as it is inconvenient to sign chits and then check those chits against the cabin invoice read out...mistakes can be made.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, horseymike said:

We lost out on the convenience factor.  We had the premium package and still ended up signing a bunch of receipts for upcharges on wine ...  About $300 something for upcharges ...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We have a 4 nights in April and are going to try a la carte…will be interesting to see.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Sometimes they still bring the slip to sign, even if you have a drink package.  That’s just another way to induce us to add additional tip.  This is no different than going into a coffee shop and ordering a cup of coffee then flipping the ridiculous screen to us with the option of tipping or guilting some into adding a tip.  It is not getting ridiculous it IS ridiculous.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree. It's not like they are gong to gives us a credit for the difference in tip between a $4 bottle of water and a $10 glass of wine. It takes the same effort to serve a $10 drink as it does for a $15 drink. I would rather tip $5 if the bartender didn't up charge for the drink to begin with.

Well, the bartender doesn't upcharge--the companty does.

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

We lost out on the convenience factor.  We had the premium package and still ended up signing a bunch of receipts for upcharges on wine ...  About $300 something for upcharges ...

That is very easy to do when you drink the nice bottles of wine. 

I like finding a good wine that is a couple of dollars a glass above the package limit.  Sometimes you can make a deal with the sommelier to get a bottle for the price of a few upgraded glasses. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

One thing to consider/calculate is how many drinks you might purchase above the $10 limit.  Many here have been able to get a sale price to upgrade to premium (which also gets you other non alcoholic drink benefits — I’m sure someone will post the chart) which may be cheaper than the up charge.  I think I paid $6.99/day/pp to upgrade (or around that number.) 

But now BOTH passengers must get it.

I used to upgrade to premium for me, mostly for the wine choices.

DH drinks beer & blended drinks, so no need for premium for him.

I'm not upcharging $15/day (the sale price) every day so will just pay as we go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KKB said:

But now BOTH passengers must get it.

I used to upgrade to premium for me, mostly for the wine choices.

DH drinks beer & blended drinks, so no need for premium for him.

I'm not upcharging $15/day (the sale price) every day so will just pay as we go.

Makes sense.  It’ll be interesting for me to see how many drinks require us to upgrade…not picky at all…but the listed prices don’t look promising (although ppl say those are just a sampling.)

7 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Makes sense.  It’ll be interesting for me to see how many drinks require us to upgrade…not picky at all…but the listed prices don’t look promising (although ppl say those are just a sampling.)

Sticking with most beer, blended drinks & your standard mixed drinks.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/drinks-flyer-11-06-2023.pdf

(now, they are PRETTY stingy on what is included in classic..it is TRUE well liquor)

Wine selection SUCKS.

(of course now that I look at the list, I see a few "premium" beers/ciders that DH does like...MIGHT be worth it if we both have it...have some OBC to kill...)

Seems last year there was a Black Friday deal--maybe that $7pp/day.

Will have to watch for that.

It's gotten ridiculous.

We pay $60/day/pp for tips, wifi & drinks on Princess & we could order almost anything....

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KKB said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/drinks-flyer-11-06-2023.pdf

(now, they are PRETTY stingy on what is included in classic..it is TRUE well liquor)

Wine selection SUCKS.

(of course now that I look at the list, I see a few "premium" beers/ciders that DH does like...MIGHT be worth it if we both have it...have some OBC to kill...)

The price you pay for the upgrade for sure influenced whether it’s worth it.  Even upgrading I’m seeing prices (like the villa Maria Sauvignon blanc) that won’t be covered totally….crazy!

7 minutes ago, KKB said:

Wine selection SUCKS.

Seems last year there was a Black Friday deal--maybe that $7pp/day.

Will have to watch for that.

It's gotten ridiculous.

We pay $60/day/pp for tips, wifi & drinks on Princess & we could order almost anything....

There is a very good reason that Virgin is soaring past their competitors in the market class.

5 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

The price you pay for the upgrade for sure influenced whether it’s worth it.  Even upgrading I’m seeing prices (like the villa Maria Sauvignon blanc) that won’t be covered totally….crazy!

LOVE me some Villa Maria SV! 

Again, wine choices SUCK on standard.

I am NOT an expensive wine drinker--I'm good w/ $3 Aldi pinot grigio!

But I don't like California SVs--NZ is my fav, European choices usually fine.

I don't do red, chardonnay or sweet wines--so I guess I am picky (I prefer discerning...)

DOES NOT WORK on standard...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liao said:

There is a very good reason that Virgin is soaring past their competitors in the market class.

Yeah but $3200 for a 5 day cruise with NO drinks?

We booked Ascent for a week--balcony, tips, wifi & drinks for that price. I'll take the 2 extra days & pay the upcharge for a few drinks.

4 minutes ago, KKB said:

LOVE me some Villa Maria SV! 

Again, wine choices SUCK on standard.

I am NOT an expensive wine drinker--I'm good w/ $3 Aldi pinot grigio!

But I don't like California SVs--NZ is my fav, European choices usually fine.

I don't do red, chardonnay or sweet wines--so I guess I am picky (I prefer discerning...)

DOES NOT WORK on standard...

I only like New Zealand’s too… 🙂

2 minutes ago, KKB said:

Yeah but $3200 for a 5 day cruise with NO drinks?

We booked Ascent for a week--balcony, tips, wifi & drinks for that price. I'll take the 2 extra days & pay the upcharge for a few drinks.

Depends on the sailing. I paid $6100 for a 15 night TA balcony cabin that includes a $350 beverage credit.  Since I don’t drink alcohol that will more than suffice for all the specialty coffee I drink.  With all dining included as well, no brainer when it is $4000 less for comparable with Celebrity.

3 minutes ago, Liao said:

Depends on the sailing. I paid $6100 for a 15 night TA balcony cabin that includes a $350 beverage credit.  Since I don’t drink alcohol that will more than suffice for all the specialty coffee I drink.  With all dining included as well, no brainer when it is $4000 less for comparable with Celebrity.

That price per night is comparable to what I paid for Ascent for 7 days with all the perks.

Now, if you don't drink, that is an entirely different comparison.

3 hours ago, Liao said:

I just do not understand the logic behind tipping additional on a drink when one has already paid 20% well in advance of said drink ever being served.

I know but technically they are only basing the 20% on drinks up to $10. It's so stupid. What if you never ordered a drink above $4.00 they don't refund you.

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I know but technically they are only basing the 20% on drinks up to $10. It's so stupid. What if you never ordered a drink above $4.00 they don't refund you.

I hear that!  Look, I have never had a bad cruise on Celebrity and their crew is one of the primary reasons.  That said, I am tired of the nickle and diming before the cruise and even once on board.  Just walking by the spa is one of the MOST annoying things ever, especially when they venture out to the landing area of the stairway, make that stop Celebrity!  I have decided to take my cruise $$$$ in a different direction.