Another free at sea dining question - NCL Prima

Specialty restaurants on Prima

Food Republic, Cagney's Steakhouse, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Nama Sushi & Sashimi, Onda by Scarpetta and Palomar. I understand all of these restaurants are - À la carte

and Hasuki -  a cover charge applies

Restaurants that you can use your specialty dining perk toward include Cagney's Steakhouse, La Cucina, Food Republic, Le Bistro, Moderno Churrascaria, Q Texas Smokehouse, Teppanyaki, Los Lobos, Ocean Blue, Bayamo and Onda by Scarpetta.

Fine print

At a la carte restaurants, the dining package limits you to one appetizer, one soup or salad, one main course and one dessert. At Cagney's and Le Bistro, you are also limited to one main course per person (in addition to starters and desserts). Additional main courses are charged at the a la carte menu price.

NCL's Free at Sea promotion: What to know before you book - The Points Guy

A couple of question:

1.      Not all the specialty restaurants on Prima can be used for free at sea dining? I see on the list above not everything on Prima is listed. That must be NCL fleet wide?

2.      How do you know what you can order where their is not an up charge? Does the waiter let you know? I take it, there is no separate menu?

2 hours ago, jobinseattle said:

How do you know what you can order where their is not an up charge? Does the waiter let you know? I take it, there is no separate menu?

Restaurants that are fixed price typically have an “experience” that doesn’t involved individual ordering.

There is usually a menu (they’re all available online) but that may be only part of the meal.

Teppanyaki for example, you pick your protein and everything else “comes with”.

For Moderno, they break the meats to the table and you pick what you want and everything else is buffet style.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If something has an upcharge for FAS or Latitude meals, this is explicitly indicated on the menu along with the amount for the upcharge.

Look through some cruise reports for posted menus. Several in my reports, but will point out @BirdTravels’s very extensive posting opus with comprehensive menus (Bird cruises way more often than I can). Of course, there are other prolific cruise reporters who post menus, Bird just came to mind.

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 2

On 7/2/2024 at 3:29 AM, jobinseattle said:

Specialty restaurants on Prima

Food Republic, Cagney's Steakhouse, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Nama Sushi & Sashimi, Onda by Scarpetta and Palomar. I understand all of these restaurants are - À la carte

and Hasuki -  a cover charge applies

Restaurants that you can use your specialty dining perk toward include Cagney's Steakhouse, La Cucina, Food Republic, Le Bistro, Moderno Churrascaria, Q Texas Smokehouse, Teppanyaki, Los Lobos, Ocean Blue, Bayamo and Onda by Scarpetta.

Fine print

At a la carte restaurants, the dining package limits you to one appetizer, one soup or salad, one main course and one dessert. At Cagney's and Le Bistro, you are also limited to one main course per person (in addition to starters and desserts). Additional main courses are charged at the a la carte menu price.

NCL's Free at Sea promotion: What to know before you book - The Points Guy

A couple of question:

1.      Not all the specialty restaurants on Prima can be used for free at sea dining? I see on the list above not everything on Prima is listed. That must be NCL fleet wide?

2.      How do you know what you can order where their is not an up charge? Does the waiter let you know? I take it, there is no separate menu?

The source you are using is faulty. Review the program on NCL.com and don’t rely on inaccurate information that is just confusing you. 

3 minutes ago, zqvol said:

The source you are using is faulty. Review the program on NCL.com and don’t rely on inaccurate information that is just confusing you. 

I did wonder that, thank you.

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

3 hours ago, jobinseattle said:

I did wonder that, thank you.

I’ll mention that Norwegian changed applicability of the FAS within the past 2 years. Our initial info for our almost-inaugural Prima had a more restrictive list of restaurants for FAS and Latitude dinners, but by the time we boarded every specialty restaurant was fair game.

Prima /Viva - great restaurants, i especially recommend Onda & Paladar

4 minutes ago, ColdCruise said:

I’ll mention that Norwegian changed applicability of the FAS within the past 2 years. Our initial info for our almost-inaugural Prima had a more restrictive list of restaurants for FAS and Latitude dinners, but by the time we boarded every specialty restaurant was fair game.

Until recently (past 18 months or so) Latitude meals were restricted. Never saw FAS meals restricted. 

5 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

As much as we wanted to love Palomar, after 4 dinners there, it has never met our expectations and has moved to the "do not dine at" list. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

As much as we wanted to love Palomar, after 4 dinners there, it has never met our expectations and has moved to the "do not dine at" list. 

This seems odd coming from you, especially considering the high praise others have given it. Would you care to elaborate on what exactly is faulty about this restaurant? It seems one of the more unique in the fleet.

27 minutes ago, jds2001 said:

This seems odd coming from you, especially considering the high praise others have given it. Would you care to elaborate on what exactly is faulty about this restaurant? It seems one of the more unique in the fleet.

We have had service issues (e.g., extremely slow service, order taken incorrectly a couple of times) and we have had bad food. Bad to the point of sending it back to the kitchen. We are not picky eaters and typically will order different items off the menu every time we go to a restaurant (we sail multiple times a year). 

We have also had consistently poor food in Ocean Blue on multiple ships. On the Escape last year, we had the restaurant's chef (executive sous chef), asst food and beverage manager, food and beverage director, ship's executive chef, and general manager all chase us down regarding the poor food and service in Ocean Blue. 

Anyways, Palomar, Nama Sushi, and Ocean Blue are all on our "do not book" list right now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

On 7/4/2024 at 11:40 PM, BirdTravels said:

We have had service issues (e.g., extremely slow service, order taken incorrectly a couple of times) and we have had bad food. Bad to the point of sending it back to the kitchen. We are not picky eaters and typically will order different items off the menu every time we go to a restaurant (we sail multiple times a year). 

Anyways, Palomar, Nama Sushi, and Ocean Blue are all on our "do not book" list right now. 

Thanks truly unfortunate @BirdTravels

I’m grateful that has not been our experience with Palomar on the 2 times we’ve dined there (aboard both Prima and Viva). Perhaps because we cruise less often, we have better odds of a good meal? (Of course the odds could work the other way.) 

For anyone interested, my review of our Palomar experience on Viva is at post #128 here 

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 1

We disembarked from Prima on Thursday. 

Here were our favorites:

1. Onda

2. Palomar

3. Los Lobos

We had excellent service at all specialty dining restaurants with the exception of an issue at Hasuki.

We expected to be disappointed at Palomar for food and service but were very happy with both. My husband wrote a vacation hero card for the server, Marc Phillip, as he really was excellent at communicating expectations for each course and made sure everything went as well as possible.  The Maitre D’ (Manager) also checked in with us at the beginning and end of the meal. 

• Like 1

We also just got off the Prima last Thursday. We only had 1 specialty dining allowance in the Studios and despite people saying Palomar wasn't good, we decided to try it. Our meals were fine, although the "thalassini salata" was basically the same as Indulge's Latin Quarter "mariscos" thing, with some mussels and squid added.

We lucked out. The service was good, the food was fine. The biggest downside was someone playing basketball over our heads in the sports area. While Palomar's specialty dinner was not anywhere near our favorite meal of the trip, we did love the outdoor seating area at breakfast and sat there every day.

Our favorite food on the ship was actually Indulge Food Hall, one of the free ones.

From what I've read and seen, Indulge Food Hall is open for both lunch and dinner, but the menus are slightly different.  You should be able to find dinner menus online if you search.

44 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

From what I've read and seen, Indulge Food Hall is open for both lunch and dinner, but the menus are slightly different.  You should be able to find dinner menus online if you search.

That is correct.

45 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

We enjoyed both lunch and dinner menus.   We actually would eat there for both lunch and dinner some days and enjoyed the variety. 

17 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

We disembarked from Prima on Thursday. 

Here were our favorites:

1. Onda

2. Palomar

3. Los Lobos

We had excellent service at all specialty dining restaurants with the exception of an issue at Hasuki.

We expected to be disappointed at Palomar for food and service but were very happy with both. My husband wrote a vacation hero card for the server, Marc Phillip, as he really was excellent at communicating expectations for each course and made sure everything went as well as possible.  The Maitre D’ (Manager) also checked in with us at the beginning and end of the meal. 

When we dined there this past December we were underwhelmed with both the quality of service and our food choices.  Two of us got the Dover Sole and my wife got the Sea Bass.  Seafood was bland.  The only one of our group that enjoyed their meal ordered a steak.  Good to hear things are looking up there.