Cabin upgrade bids

zanzibargirl

26 minutes ago, zanzibargirl said:

How soon after a bid are you notified if accepted? 2 weeks ago, we bid a “good” bid to upgrade to a balcony on Sapphire in Alaska this September, but worried that we may need to increase it to be successful since we haven’t heard anything. Thoughts? Thanks!

No set time frame. 

Princess has been known (happened to us) reach out via email if you need to increase your bid to a different category. 

It can really be any time up until sailing from what I understand. I had a GTY mini-suite booked on my May sailing and didn't get that cabin assignment until about two weeks out and didn't hear that my upgrade bid to a Reserve Class Mini-suite was rejected until the day of the sailing.

However, for my upcoming August sailing, I was in a GTY deluxe balcony, had not received my cabin assignment yet, and then my bid to upgrade to a mini-suite was accepted more than two months ahead of the sailing....

2 hours ago, zanzibargirl said:

How soon after a bid are you notified if accepted? 2 weeks ago, we bid a “good” bid to upgrade to a balcony on Sapphire in Alaska this September, but worried that we may need to increase it to be successful since we haven’t heard anything. Thoughts? Thanks!

Is it still a better deal than just booking a balcony outright?  
We bid on a premium balcony one time and the prices dropped to where it was just cheaper to book the one we wanted.  
And, if your picky about location, just know they may out you way up front or under a noisy public deck.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mara4166 said:

Are you past final payment date yet?  A lot of cabins open up after final payment is due so if you are not there yet then keep hoping.

Bidding process does not start till after final payment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zanzibargirl said:

Thanks everyone - just checked Princess website, according to it the balcony cabins are sold out for this cruise. Does that mean we are out of luck with an upgrade bid?:(

Keep in mind that your sailing mat not *really* be sold out. If a TA has a block of rooms and some do not sell they will be released back to inventory before sail date.

52 minutes ago, zanzibargirl said:

Thanks everyone - just checked Princess website, according to it the balcony cabins are sold out for this cruise. Does that mean we are out of luck with an upgrade bid?:(

Not necessarily.  People in balconies may bid on a mini suite or suite and so that opens up a balcony cabin.  Also, people don’t show up for the cruise for one reason or another or people will sometimes take a move over offer if the cruise ends up being sold out.  
While bidding oftentimes delivers no results, there is still a chance for you.  

11 hours ago, Senga said:

Just be aware you are stuck with the location they give you if your bid is accepted.  Being right forward on a cruise in the North Sea or other turbulent sea is NOT pleasant.

That is not necessarily true. I won an upgrade bid to a mini-suite on Enchanted. They assigned me one mid-ship on Riviera deck (MB). I did a live chat and asked to be moved to one of the mini-suites mid-ship on Caribe deck with an angled balcony (MA)  and they did so, despite my requested cabin being a category higher than my assigned cabin. Never hurts to ask!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zanzibargirl said:

Not necessarily.  There may be cancellations opening up a stateroom.  Also someone in a balcony may be upgraded to a suite opening up their spot too.  Just hang in there and good luck!