Live from the Land of Princess

Guess what?

The Island Princess turns 21 tomorrow and there is going to be a party! Cake, cocktails, confetti and the captain will all be involved.

Cake! I love cake!

• Like 16
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Guess what?

The Island Princess turns 21 tomorrow and there is going to be a party! Cake, cocktails, confetti and the captain will all be involved.

Cake! I love cake!

And she has reached drinking age! 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

People are being quite rude and loud as they complain to guest services. My philosophy is to never yell or raise my voice when expressing a concern, especially when the listening ear did not cause or have anything to do with the problem. 

Agree always better to be pleasant to guest services, a pleasant person is going to get farther compared to loud & rude. 

I would however go to the shore excursion desk during open hours to “ log” your shore tour displeasure from today. Or try to call from your cabin,hallway, bar, etc. and get a senior shore staff crew member to address your concerns.If you have not already.
I know you said you spoke to someone,but they argued with you & perhaps that was while onshore.

I would have a superior contact you and get your complaint forwarded in writing.

• Like 1

Sadly, the captain announced this afternoon that our two Greenland ports, Qatortoq and Nanortalik, have both been cancelled. They are the reason why I booked this cruise.

Of course I understand that things happen, but I’m still allowed to be sad and disappointed with this turn of events.

There were huge mess ups with the water shuttles today and many people could not get off the ship for their excursions. Those who did leave the ship later this afternoon faced a two hour wait for a water shuttle back to the ship.

We have not been able to depart St. Anthony’s because there is a wire caught on our starboard anchor.

• Like 13

@YVRteacher There’s only a thank you button, a laughing face and a like button to your above post .I am giving it a sad face. So sorry to hear about everything that has happened today and no Greenland. I wonder why they can’t go to Greenland they’ll get the wire off the anchor, won’t they? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, YVRteacher said:

Sadly, the captain announced this afternoon that our two Greenland ports, Qatortoq and Nanortalik, have both been cancelled. They are the reason why I booked this cruise.

Of course I understand that things happen, but I’m still allowed to be sad and disappointed with this turn of events.

There were huge mess ups with the water shuttles today and many people could not get off the ship for their excursions. Those who did leave the ship later this afternoon faced a two hour wait for a water shuttle back to the ship.

We have not been able to depart St. Anthony’s because there is a wire caught on our starboard anchor.

Oh, no! So sorry for you! Off course you’re allowed to be sad and disappointed.

Could there be another Iclandic port added as a substitute for the two you’re missing? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Oh no!  Is it weather related or something with the ship?  Any alternate ports under discussion?  Hope they can figure out the anchor problem soon.

Posted (edited)

Hey Y! I’ve been on the sidelines reading your fab reviews about Island Princess and great photos! Keep it up!

Now it’s time for you to realize the real reason your ship is skipping Q and N in Greenland … if you haven’t been told. 

NONE of the ships that had Q & N on their itinerary have been able to reach either ports so far this year due to ice. They were able to reach and port at Nuuk even if it wasn’t in their itinerary.

Hopefully you’ll be able to get to go to Nuuk. 

I read elsewhere in CC (can’t remember where) that the global warming is the culprit that the glaciers have been calving more this year, producing large icebergs to float out … a real danger to cruise ships!

A real disappointment I can imagine - we also missed Greenland (3 ports) 2 years ago - weather related - and we went to 4 ports in Norway instead. 

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Hi,

Have you heard from Dad?  Very hot where I live (101 F at 3:23 P.M).  Supposed to cool to about 95 by Saturday.  No real cooling until about the 1st of August or so.  Lots and lots of wildfires burning.

I hope they get the anchor freed from the wire soon.  Not fun.

So about your Greenland cancelations.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always

• Like 4

Oh mine, that's really 😞 and lots of ships at "nearby" Iceland ports, including Reykjavik 

Screenshot_20240710-180322.thumb.png.29195318cecf0b23adf5acff7579cde2.png

Looks like ship has finally departed from St. Anthony 👌

• Like 4

You have every right to be disappointed. I feel your pain we had Santorini and Kotor cancelled. We had Chiana and Bar but they were very poor substitutes. I understand it is a cruising hazard but it doesn’t make things any better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Hi,

Have you heard from Dad?  Very hot where I live (101 F at 3:23 P.M).  Supposed to cool to about 95 by Saturday.  No real cooling until about the 1st of August or so.  Lots and lots of wildfires burning.

I hope they get the anchor freed from the wire soon.  Not fun.

So about your Greenland cancelations.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always

Yes, my dad emailed to say he wrote a reply to my last email (I copy and paste what I write here and send that to him with the photos included) but it was so hot he forgot to hit send.

He also responded to what I wrote about forgetting to eat lunch yesterday. He thinks this is hilarious and used lots of exclamation marks in his response.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

That is so sad but understandable if safety is involved - we've had that happen to us but only once, not twice. 😔

• Like 1

There were big trays of chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cookies in Horizon Court tonight. My theory is the captain asked the chief baker to make extra since we would need consolation cookies.

• Like 4
  • Haha 15

I had researched Qaqortoq and Nanortalik. Thank goodness for the excellent wifi here on the Island Princess so I can do a little bit of reading and preparing.

Oh, I wonder if there is a tattoo parlour in Nuuk…

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Oh, I wonder if there is a tattoo parlour in Nuuk

Oh my..of course.  What are your thoughts about your image?  YOLO.

?? YOLO Is that no longer cool to say?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We can still say YOLO and have it be cool!

I have some ideas for the design…

I’ve been reading and they won’t do the traditional Inuit tattooing (poke and stick method) on a non-Inuit person. They also only take cash so I would need to get some Danish kr.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 2

I have some Princess questions.

On sea days Sabatini’s becomes Alfredo’s Pizza. I have two free casual meals. Do I need to reserve Alfredo’s or just show up?

Tomorrow one of the activities is watercolour speed painting. Has anyone done this?

I thought Princess had enrichment lectures that connected to our itinerary. So far the lectures have all been about Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan and Mongolia. Is this typical?

• Like 2