New to Norwegian Question - Please help me understand

Hi:  

I am going on my first Norwegian Cruise in November; I will be going with 15 family members and friends. I've sailed on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival in the past. We all selected the NCL package that comes with unlimited drinks, 2 specialty dining options, $100 ship credit, etc.  

I tried to book the steakhouse for me, since I'm in a solo cabin and the others would book themselves for the same time and date. The options to book were 2, 4 or 6 only.  I went ahead and entered 4. The website took be to an area that said "hurry and confirm before the restaurant sells out. I continued and arrived at the payment page. It said to call in for multiple payments. I'm trying to book myself for the 2 specialty restaurants that comes with the package I paid for. So far, I was not allowed to do that. Does anyone know why?  Can a solo person book?  Also, does anyone know why an option for 1 person was not offered? 

Also, a friend tried to use her $100 ship credit to book a $49 excursion for her and her husband. The NCL web site would not allow her to book her husband but credited the account for her $49 excursion using the ship credit.  She then tried using the $50 Shore excursion credit for her husband, it was not allowed, why?  

Can anyone share their experience on what to do or tell me how to book these things on Norwegian?   Thank you. 

A concerned cruiser,

Nae

I think I can answer some of your questions - but not the dining issues.

I am assuming the $100 credit you are speaking of is from a TA - and it is On Board Credit - meaning you can't use it before you board the ship.

The $50 excursion credit is for guest #1 on the reservation. And it is automatically applied during the booking process. So it sounds as if your friend got her $50 credit applied correctly, her husband does not get a discount, unless they paid for the plus package.

Try calling NCL to book the dining reservations since there are so many of you.  The odds of everyone in your group managing to get the same date and time by booking themselves are not good.  Also, I am guessing you all wanted to sit with each other.  There are no tables for 16, but you can reserve a combination of tables so some of you are together.  

There is not an option for one person because the minimum number of chairs at a table is 2. I travel solo all the time and book 2. 

As was mentioned above, if everyone wants to eat at the same speciality restaurant together, you need to call. You will probably get 2 tables for 8 next to each other...I have done this before for a large group.

As far as the shore excursion credit, it is $50 for the first person listed on the cabin, not $100. You can use the credit at every port...it is not just a one time thing.

I would suggest going thru this site for multiple pages or using the search function. Your questions are not unusual and are asked multiple times in a week. Also read the T&Cs on the NCL site for more information. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

The $50 Shore Excursion Credit is deducted from your account ONCE you have taken the excursion.  It is $50 per port and can not to added together to cover the cost of a more expensive excursion.  It is also use it or lose, it cannot be used for anything except a shore excursion.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

The $50 Shore Excursion Credit is deducted from your account ONCE you have taken the excursion.  It is $50 per port and can not to added together to cover the cost of a more expensive excursion.  It is also use it or lose, it cannot be used for anything except a shore excursion.

The shore excursion credit is applied immediately if you book (and pay) for the excursion in advance. And it is per excursion for passenger #1, not limited to 1/port.

If you book onboard, the credit is applied after you take the excursion.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, nae418 said:

Hi:  

I am going on my first Norwegian Cruise in November; I will be going with 15 family members and friends. I've sailed on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival in the past. We all selected the NCL package that comes with unlimited drinks, 2 specialty dining options, $100 ship credit, etc.  

I tried to book the steakhouse for me, since I'm in a solo cabin and the others would book themselves for the same time and date. The options to book were 2, 4 or 6 only.  I went ahead and entered 4. The website took be to an area that said "hurry and confirm before the restaurant sells out. I continued and arrived at the payment page. It said to call in for multiple payments. I'm trying to book myself for the 2 specialty restaurants that comes with the package I paid for. So far, I was not allowed to do that. Does anyone know why?  Can a solo person book?  Also, does anyone know why an option for 1 person was not offered? 

Also, a friend tried to use her $100 ship credit to book a $49 excursion for her and her husband. The NCL web site would not allow her to book her husband but credited the account for her $49 excursion using the ship credit.  She then tried using the $50 Shore excursion credit for her husband, it was not allowed, why?  

Can anyone share their experience on what to do or tell me how to book these things on Norwegian?   Thank you. 

A concerned cruiser,

Nae

Welcome to NCL Freestyle Cruising!

wrt to dining, reservations opens exactly 120 days prior to departure and popular dates and times will sell out quickly. (It actually opens 130 days prior to departure for suites, mini suites, and top tier Latitudes (frequent cruiser program)). People who want the best selection will be logged on exactly 120 days prior to departure, 12 midnight eastern time. 

NCL allows you to book a "table". And there are only 2-top, 4-top, 6-top, and 8-top tables. There are no tables with only one chair. So, if you are solo and want to eat alone, book a table for 2 (don't block a bigger table). 

For group dining, one person should make the dinner reservation for the group. Making 3 or 4 reservations says you are asking for 3 or 4 tables sprinkled all over the restaurant (and that is what you will get). Making a reservation for 8 will reserve one of the big tables. 

Teppanyaki and Moderno (Brazilian Steakhouse) are fixed priced restaurants an must be booked first. All other restaurants are a la carte. No payment is required at time of booking. If you one one of the fixed priced restaurants, they need to be booked first followed by a la carte restaurants. 

NCL holds a few tables for onboard booking. If you can't get the reservations you want (since you are now well within the 120 days), restaurant reservations should be your priority immediately after you board the ship. Popular dates and times (6:30 on sea days) will totally sell out quickly on embarkation days. If you are on a small ship, Teppanyaki is the hardest reservation to get. 

For shore excursions, you get one $50 credit for Guest 1 on the reservation. Only Guest 1 will receive a discount. 

If you try to book a shore excursion and the base price shows up as $0 for one of the passengers, that means that only one seat is left on the excursion. You waited too long and the shore excursion is sold out. The price for Guest 1 is automatically adjusted to show the $50 shore ex credit. 

Since it is clear that your friend does not understand what they are seeing, it is highly recommended that they call the NCL general reservation number, select Shore Excursions, and allow a shore excursion expert to help them with the booking. 

Onboard Credit can only be used on board. Unlike Royal who lets you use it for advanced reservations, NCL only will let you use it once you board the ship. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, www3traveler said:

This inaccurately explains how the $50 shore excursion credit works. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, julig22 said:

I think I can answer some of your questions - but not the dining issues.

I am assuming the $100 credit you are speaking of is from a TA - and it is On Board Credit - meaning you can't use it before you board the ship.

The $50 excursion credit is for guest #1 on the reservation. And it is automatically applied during the booking process. So it sounds as if your friend got her $50 credit applied correctly, her husband does not get a discount, unless they paid for the plus package.

Hi Zqvol:

Thank you for responding.  Yes, I'm seeing $100 Ship Credit that can be used on the ship. I don't recall be offered the plus package.? I guess we will make it work.  Thanks again.

1 minute ago, nae418 said:

Hi Zqvol:

Thank you for responding.  Yes, I'm seeing $100 Ship Credit that can be used on the ship. I don't recall be offered the plus package.? I guess we will make it work.  Thanks again.

I apologize, I entered the incorrect name. That should read Juliq22. 

18 hours ago, www3traveler said:

The $50 Shore Excursion Credit is deducted from your account ONCE you have taken the excursion. 

It is deducted at time of booking if you book prior to getting on the ship. Not once you have taken the excursion. 

image.png.19b9b97142ed24672f09c16a0c13956e.png

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to NCL Freestyle Cruising!

wrt to dining, reservations opens exactly 120 days prior to departure and popular dates and times will sell out quickly. (It actually opens 130 days prior to departure for suites, mini suites, and top tier Latitudes (frequent cruiser program)). People who want the best selection will be logged on exactly 120 days prior to departure, 12 midnight eastern time. 

NCL allows you to book a "table". And there are only 2-top, 4-top, 6-top, and 8-top tables. There are no tables with only one chair. So, if you are solo and want to eat alone, book a table for 2 (don't block a bigger table). 

For group dining, one person should make the dinner reservation for the group. Making 3 or 4 reservations says you are asking for 3 or 4 tables sprinkled all over the restaurant (and that is what you will get). Making a reservation for 8 will reserve one of the big tables. 

Teppanyaki and Moderno (Brazilian Steakhouse) are fixed priced restaurants an must be booked first. All other restaurants are a la carte. No payment is required at time of booking. If you one one of the fixed priced restaurants, they need to be booked first followed by a la carte restaurants. 

NCL holds a few tables for onboard booking. If you can't get the reservations you want (since you are now well within the 120 days), restaurant reservations should be your priority immediately after you board the ship. Popular dates and times (6:30 on sea days) will totally sell out quickly on embarkation days. If you are on a small ship, Teppanyaki is the hardest reservation to get. 

For shore excursions, you get one $50 credit for Guest 1 on the reservation. Only Guest 1 will receive a discount. 

If you try to book a shore excursion and the base price shows up as $0 for one of the passengers, that means that only one seat is left on the excursion. You waited too long and the shore excursion is sold out. The price for Guest 1 is automatically adjusted to show the $50 shore ex credit. 

Since it is clear that your friend does not understand what they are seeing, it is highly recommended that they call the NCL general reservation number, select Shore Excursions, and allow a shore excursion expert to help them with the booking. 

Onboard Credit can only be used on board. Unlike Royal who lets you use it for advanced reservations, NCL only will let you use it once you board the ship. 

This is great information and a big help!   Thank you!!!

11 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is deducted at time of booking if you book prior to getting on the ship. Not once you have taken the excursion. 

image.png.19b9b97142ed24672f09c16a0c13956e.png

Thank you!  

17 hours ago, julig22 said:

The shore excursion credit is applied immediately if you book (and pay) for the excursion in advance. And it is per excursion for passenger #1, not limited to 1/port.

If you book onboard, the credit is applied after you take the excursion.

I did notice that the excursion that I booked, the credit was applied immediately.  Thank you!!

Not sure if I missed all response to the excursion credit; sorry if this has been answered. Last year my husband, myself & our son were on a Bermuda & Bar Harbor cruise on one of the jewel class ships out of Boston. My husband was the leaf person on the reservation w/ the excursion credit. We didn't book anything ahead of time & my husband & I just wanted to relax w/no excursion. My son wanted to do an excursion in each port. I thought he wouldn't be given the discount but when my husband signed my sone up for the excursions while on board the staff said it was no problem to put the discount against our son's excursions & they deducted the $50 for each.

We had a similar situation with large dinner parties (9) on the NCL Prima. You pretty much can't book it ahead from my understanding. We went to the venue on the ship as soon as we boarded to handle dinner reservations and they were very accommodating.  However, 14 is a large number so not sure how they would accommodate as generally large tables are spread throughout the restaurant and not together and none that size that I recall.

The $100 onboard credit you received cannot be used until you are actually onboard. I am assuming you, and your fellow 15 travelers, booked through the Groups Department. The perks you receive doing this are slightly different, so many regular passengers on NCL don't realize the $100 onboard credit can be selected as a perk for all members of the traveling party. 

Bottom line - you'll have the $100 onboard credit. You just have to literally be "onboard" to use it. Happy travels!! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fishenchips said:

can you explain how it does work then?

The first person on the booking gets a $50 discount on one shore excursion per port.  If you book online before the cruise begins, the $50 is deducted from the amount billed to your account.  Not sure how it works if you book while on board.  

• Like 1

@fishenchips

Two things. 

If you (the FIRST person on the booking) are able to book TWO shore excursions on the same day you get $50 for each.

If you book on board the whole cost is put on your folio.   If you have a Latitude s Discount you check if it has been allowed and if not you have to go to the Shorex Desc and get them to change the amount.  Then AFTER you have done the shorex the $50 is credited to your account

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fishenchips said:

can you explain how it does work then?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Please refer to Post #11 in this thread.

The $50 is deducted from the cost of excursion for Guest 1 at time of booking.

On Post #11, the shore excursion costs $379 per person. The $50 was deducted and $49.35 was deducted (because we are diamond members). So, only $279 was charged at time of booking. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DorothyB said:

The first person on the booking gets a $50 discount on one shore excursion per port.  If you book online before the cruise begins, the $50 is deducted from the amount billed to your account.  Not sure how it works if you book while on board.  

If you book while on board, you pay the full price and the credit is applied to the first person OBC AFTER shore excursion. 

I prebooked a $49 excursion (Mt. Roberts Tram in Juneau) for our May 2025 sailing just to see what would happen; I received an amenity confirmation right away and the excursion shows up on our Vacation Summary, along with the $100 stockholder OBC.

I'm going to assume that the Guest #2 bonus will be applied the same way, once we upgrade to FAS+.