Frustrating customer service start to our first Princess cruise (medallion preorder "glitch")

Posted (edited)

Having a frustrating time ordering medallions for me and my partner. Finished all of our paperwork and completed the checklist. When we go to the cart, it lists my medallions fine, but my 2nd guest has no "name" next to it and you cannot continue. You cannot remove the complimentary items, and when you finalize the order it doesn't do anything. Tried both the web version and the app, and logged in with my account and with booking number. Both ways failed. When I add a accessory it says my partners name, but the actual medallion cannot be fixed and never lists a name, and that is causing the issue. Tried from both my account and my wife's, same thing.

Clearly a weird technical issue. 

Called them up, first person said exactly what I told them was happening to them but they have no way to fix. When they tried to order on their end they had the exact issue.

I asked to escalate the issue.

They transferred me to the oceanready team. After verifying every piece of information known to man for the medallion department, they also said they cannot do anything and it's a technical glitch. They cannot even order them for me. So instead of trying to fix it, or escalate it further, or opening a ticket with IT they just told me to do it at the port and there's nothing they can do.

So a waste of my time.

- Has this happened to anyone else?

- Is it a pain going in the "blue" lane at the port? It's my understanding if you already have the medallions you go in a different shorter line?

- Can I still get the caribiner accessory and the sports band at the port or do I need to buy the knockoffs on Amazon ahead of time since they can't get this straightened out for mailing them out? 

- Should I call back and get someone else or just deal with it at the port and not stress about it?

Sailing out of Galveston if that makes any difference.

Screenshot_20240707-1511032.thumb.png.2112f9ec2403dc1f7e2715a4fad20601.png

Not a great start with customer service or trying to resolve my issue. This is after another weird glitch with my payment balance for a Royal Caribbean cruise that took a few calls. I work in IT so I guess this is why everything happens to me

Edited by alan.jacyszyn

Getting the medallion at the port is no big deal. It might add 5 minutes to the check in process. It will come with the lanyard. I've never ordered a medallion accessory, but if they don't have it for you at check in at the port, you can go to the photo shop on the ship and they should be able to give you one once you explain what's happened. Or guest services.

• Like 1

Yes, similar problem.  Eventually had to cancel 3 orders.  First couple of agents were useless.  I asked for a supervisor.  No.... No... Last agent asked me to be patient as he worked his magic.  He had to cancel all current items (I couldn't) and was able to place the order.  

Try ordering it through your partner's app.  Unfortunately, only agent can cancel....although my friend could do it on her Android (different cruise).

• Like 1

This has happened to me more than once.  I just plan to stand in the line to get the medallion at the dock now.  Princess app is notoriously glitchy.

• Like 1

Just now, upwarduk said:

Do you actually live in USA?
I can’t preorder to get them posted, as we live in UK.

USA. it's not a shipping issue, it just won't let ANYONE (even princess themselves) check out.

First cruise or 100th, Princess customer service sucks.

In the past, Princess has been more than happy to sell you accessories on the ship. AFAIK, they still are and do. Amazon and Walmart likely have cheaper options (and more expensive).

Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling? It sounds like you've already spent more time trying to fix than it would take at the port to get your medallion there.

• Like 1

On a past cruise with family members, I received my medallion in the mail, they picked up at the port. It was faster for them than it was for me. They were waiting for me at the screening/security checkpoint. 

Going forward, I’ll be picking up my medallion at the port. Not gonna waste any time or stress over it.

• Like 3

Thanks for everyone's input. Good to know the line isn't that big of a deal. We won't bother calling again and I'll just buy an accessory off Amazon. Hopefully they just sort out out at the port and it'll save me $10 to boot. Knowing my luck something else is going to happen though 🙂

Thanks again

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We’ve always just picked up at the port as there was no other option for Canadians. It hasn’t delayed us as far as I know in getting on the ship. All medallion accessories that you see are also available on the ship to buy. I actually waited to buy on the ship as mine came in 2 sizes and I wanted to try on first.

• Like 1

Sorry you’re having issues, but you are not alone.  This problem has been mentioned in a few threads.  There’s no fix that I know of.

As others mentioned, the blue lane is not but a few minutes longer to get through.

I have tried several sport bands for the OM and I still prefer the one I bought OB.  Just stop by OceanFront usually near the Photo dept snd get one.  

Maybe you could apply for an IT job with PCL.  They need help! 😳

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Went thru similar glitch once.  Waited a week and tried once more.  Same result.

As we have in the past will pick up our Medallions at the pier.  

Suggest looking at ordering Medallions by asking is it worth the stress and lots of time to order them vs a couple minutes at the pier.  Silly to waste effort on something so stupid 

PS, dining reservations.  . . same comment.  Not worth the time, effort or stress.  Booked a placeholder reservation and will sort it out on board.   Preferably with a glass of wine in hand.

Little difference with IT at RCL or HAL.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alan.jacyszyn said:

Having a frustrating time ordering medallions for me and my partner. Finished all of our paperwork and completed the checklist. When we go to the cart, it lists my medallions fine, but my 2nd guest has no "name" next to it and you cannot continue. You cannot remove the complimentary items, and when you finalize the order it doesn't do anything. Tried both the web version and the app, and logged in with my account and with booking number. Both ways failed. When I add a accessory it says my partners name, but the actual medallion cannot be fixed and never lists a name, and that is causing the issue. Tried from both my account and my wife's, same thing.

Clearly a weird technical issue. 

Called them up, first person said exactly what I told them was happening to them but they have no way to fix. When they tried to order on their end they had the exact issue.

I asked to escalate the issue.

They transferred me to the oceanready team. After verifying every piece of information known to man for the medallion department, they also said they cannot do anything and it's a technical glitch. They cannot even order them for me. So instead of trying to fix it, or escalate it further, or opening a ticket with IT they just told me to do it at the port and there's nothing they can do.

So a waste of my time.

- Has this happened to anyone else?

- Is it a pain going in the "blue" lane at the port? It's my understanding if you already have the medallions you go in a different shorter line?

- Can I still get the caribiner accessory and the sports band at the port or do I need to buy the knockoffs on Amazon ahead of time since they can't get this straightened out for mailing them out? 

- Should I call back and get someone else or just deal with it at the port and not stress about it?

Sailing out of Galveston if that makes any difference.

Screenshot_20240707-1511032.thumb.png.2112f9ec2403dc1f7e2715a4fad20601.png

Not a great start with customer service or trying to resolve my issue. This is after another weird glitch with my payment balance for a Royal Caribbean cruise that took a few calls. I work in IT so I guess this is why everything happens to me

Yes, exactly same situation with a guest without a name, AND extra medallion under my name. 

No delete button to remove those extraneous entries. I started the chat with customer support, who of course could not do anything on their side and have escalated to another department. In about a week, I have received my medallion order confirmation with exactly same extra items. So I guess, when I'll receive it for my upcoming cruise, it'll stay as extra souvenir on my fridge.

Posted (edited)

Not sure my orders even went through using the web version.  Clicked "place your order" yet no confirmation page. Will pick up at port.

As for dining, Princess updated the app, which is linked to the web version per a rep. Both were to be ready to use last Monday. I was able to reserve a main dining room for my party but unable to invite guests via their booking numbers. Will just sort it out on the ship. 

App, website and customer service (except one rep) the worst.

Edited by ilsalund Ilsalund63
missing word

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I understand the name of this site is "C...Critic", but hopefully you will find some posts to be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also had trouble with ordering Medallion…wouldn’t even LET me place order! Called customer service and they were able to order it for me, then sent an email w/order confirmation number. We’ll see if I get it in time (a lot of that has to do with the lousy postal service in my town!). BTW, they were very nice and helpful…maybe because I’m a first-time cruiser?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alan.jacyszyn said:

Thanks for everyone's input. Good to know the line isn't that big of a deal. We won't bother calling again and I'll just buy an accessory off Amazon. Hopefully they just sort out out at the port and it'll save me $10 to boot. Knowing my luck something else is going to happen though 🙂

Thanks again

We just got home from a Princess cruise. They shipped the medallions we ordered after we left for the ship. We got ours at the port including wristbands that we didn't use and they refunded our $10.

When we got home of course with the mail, was everything we ordered for three people.

Pretty poor effort on their part. 

23 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

We’ve always just picked up at the port as there was no other option for Canadians. It hasn’t delayed us as far as I know in getting on the ship. All medallion accessories that you see are also available on the ship to buy. I actually waited to buy on the ship as mine came in 2 sizes and I wanted to try on first.

Did you get the silver bracelet type? I was wondering how much they were? I haven’t seen them on Amazon. 

1 hour ago, beerme1 said:

We just got home from a Princess cruise. They shipped the medallions we ordered after we left for the ship. We got ours at the port including wristbands that we didn't use and they refunded our $10.

When we got home of course with the mail, was everything we ordered for three people.

Pretty poor effort on their part. 

What did you use instead of the wristbands? 

11 minutes ago, paddingtonbear said:

Did you get the silver bracelet type? I was wondering how much they were? I haven’t seen them on Amazon. 

I did. I don’t remember the price, but I think it was about $65 usd? Not cheap, but we had a lot of Princess cruises planned over the next few years so I felt it was worth it. This was about 2 years ago though. It fits quite snuggly. I’m a small woman with tiny wrists, and I felt the small was a snug. I liked the looser bangle feel of the medium.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I did. I don’t remember the price, but I think it was about $65 usd? Not cheap, but we had a lot of Princess cruises planned over the next few years so I felt it was worth it. This was about 2 years ago though. It fits quite snuggly. I’m a small woman with tiny wrists, and I felt the small was a snug. I liked the looser bangle feel of the medium.

Does your bangle have a screw fixed top or a magnet fixed top or something else?  Someone said the medalion just slipped in from the back of the wrist band types.  Can you explain how the bangle works, please. 

Edited by paddingtonbear

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, paddingtonbear said:

Can you please tell me the outer dimension of the medalion so I can buy a bangle online that will fit it?  I guess the inside of your bangle is the exact size of the medalion. 

Does yours have a screw fixed top or a magnet fixed top or something else?  Someone said the medalion just slipped in from the back of the wrist band types.  Can you explain how the bangle works, please. 

This is what it looks like, except in silver. We are on vacation, so I can’t take a picture of mine.  The medallion is held in place magnetically. You can pop it in and out by pushing on it. I actually don’t wear it off ship, just in case. The actual bangle has a hinge on one side that so you can easily open it to remove the bangle. 

I have heard that AirTag holders will fit the medallion but I haven’t tried this.

IMG_1933.jpeg

Edited by sunviking90
  • Thanks 1

Any air tag holder will fit the medallion, but the medallion accessories will not hold an air tag.

There are so many options on Amazon.  Unless you have OBC to burn, I would go with Amazon accessories.

• Thanks 1