Celebrity Beyond - ABC islands in September - Pumped!

We absolutely LOVE Bonaire for snorkeling. We go with Woodwind every time we are there, and it is just the best we’ve ever done. Truly an underwater fantasy, with all kinds of sea creatures, living coral of many types, and a crew that is very attentive and helpful! 

• Like 1

I’m on the September 21th ABC cruise. I’d planned to have dinner in Aruba since we’re there until 11pm. I booked the Barefoot restaurant where you eat on the beach. Is that worth it? Fun? It got good reviews.

I was also hoping to eat in Bonaire and Curaçao because I’m pretty picky with food and only really like the specialty restaurants (got a 4 day package). Right now it’s saying the ship is docked until 6 in both ports but I don’t know if that means that’s when it’s leaving or when we need to be back on board. I wish it was a little later so I could have dinner on the islands. If not, maybe a heavier lunch and then I won’t be hangry if I don’t like what’s on board. 

We have booked a jeep in Aruba to be able to explore the island and also booked Bonaire cruisers in Bonaire. I’m not sure what we will do in Curaçao. I’m sort of debating upgrading to a suite. I was in a suite on the beyond with my mom in May and it was very noisy. It was weird. I could never figure out where it was coming from and it wasn’t banging. I was somewhat near the stairs and wondered if it was foot traffic. So I’m a little hesitant. I thought parts of the retreat were worth it but overall wasn’t sure. I’d also been in an infinite veranda on the ascent and liked it quite a lot. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roxannex said:

I’m pretty picky with food and only really like the specialty restaurants (got a 4 day package). Right now it’s saying the ship is docked until 6 in both ports but I don’t know if that means that’s when it’s leaving or when we need to be back on board. I wish it was a little later so I could have dinner on the islands. If not, maybe a heavier lunch and then I won’t be hangry if I don’t like what’s on board. 

All aboard is 30 minutes before departure time.  I am curious.  If you are so unhappy with most of the dinner options on board, why do you cruise?

I actually used to cruise a lot then didn’t for a long time because I got very sick. Then I went on the ascent and loved it and booked two more cruises in a row with different family members. I admit I think I am a little cruised out now. This will be my last one for a while! I like specialty restaurants. Just find I don’t like the food in the main dining rooms. Was also not a fan of luminae or blu. I like being on the water, the entertainment. Honestly, I’m on a GLP-1 so food isn’t that interesting to me in general anymore. 

OP - If any members of your group like to snorkel...

DO NOT MISS A SNORKEL TRIP ON BONAIRE TO KLEIN BONAIRE!!!!!

Bonaire is world-famous for snorkeling and if that's your thing, don't miss it here. 

While golf-carting around Bonaire is fun I'm sure (it's always highly recommended on these boards) you are at perhaps the finest snorkel site in all of North America.  Klein Bonaire is a small island just across the harbor (easy to get to) .... that is the famous spot.  

Someone above recommended the Woodwind company and although I have not used them (we do it independently by easy ferry) they are highly regarded on these boards for independent snorkel trips.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Well, I upgraded to a guaranteed suite! So see you in The Retreat! I also had two cabana days booked, which I canceled. So someone will be very happy if they look because I think they were sold out! I hope I don't get the noisy cabin again. It was not the "banging" sound that some people described. I could never figure out what it was. But other than that, the retreat was very nice and comfy. 

Also booked a rental car in Curacao! I have never been to any of these islands before, so that is exciting! 

If anyone is also renting a Jeep in Aruba,I found a really good Youtube video that I thought would be helpful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wpzX3SCcA

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 1:35 PM, Straughn said:

See you on board. I am also in The Retreat. The ABC islands are my favorite, partially because of the two sea days down and two back.  I agree with canceling the cabana. The Retreat Sundeck is very nice and far less noisy than the main pool.  If I am not off the ship on a port day, I like that there is a limited lunch menu available at the Sundeck bar.

Phyllis and Matt will be Beyond 9/7. Love this ship.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PelicanLvr said:

OP - If any members of your group like to snorkel...

DO NOT MISS A SNORKEL TRIP ON BONAIRE TO KLEIN BONAIRE!!!!!

Bonaire is world-famous for snorkeling and if that's your thing, don't miss it here. 

While golf-carting around Bonaire is fun I'm sure (it's always highly recommended on these boards) you are at perhaps the finest snorkel site in all of North America.  Klein Bonaire is a small island just across the harbor (easy to get to) .... that is the famous spot.  

Someone above recommended the Woodwind company and although I have not used them (we do it independently by easy ferry) they are highly regarded on these boards for independent snorkel trips.

Enjoy!

Yes, I have been reading the replies and while a great consensus of suggestions for the Bonaire Cruisers, which we have now reserved, I have also seen the strong suggestions re: Snorkeling. Also the specific Woodwind suggestions. I actually love to snorkel as do some of the folks in our group, though some more than others. 

I've not been to Bonaire. In reading the replies, it also sounds like many who use BC and cart around Bonaire, mention that they bring their snorkeling equipment and that there are many good places - well marked - around the island to choose from if you stop. So it seems possible to have best of both worlds? Rent a cruiser, travel around the island, stopping here and there for some great snorkeling spots? Would appreciate all opinions on this from those so experienced! 

11 hours ago, roxannex said:

Well, I upgraded to a guaranteed suite! So see you in The Retreat! I also had two cabana days booked, which I canceled. So someone will be very happy if they look because I think they were sold out! I hope I don't get the noisy cabin again. It was not the "banging" sound that some people described. I could never figure out what it was. But other than that, the retreat was very nice and comfy. 

Also booked a rental car in Curacao! I have never been to any of these islands before, so that is exciting! 

If anyone is also renting a Jeep in Aruba,I found a really good Youtube video that I thought would be helpful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wpzX3SCcA

Awesome!! 

SG (the OP):

Thank Goodness we got you thinking about snorkeling in Bonaire.

You know the folks in your group and what they would like.  Just know, the snorkeling in Bonaire is by-far the best in the Caribbean.  So think about a boat trip (like Woodwind) with swimming for the non-snorkelers.

Here's the thing:  You can ride a golf cart around a hot a rock in lots of places and I bet you'll have a good time doing it.  BUT, the snorkeling in Bonaire is world-class. Yes, you see lots of fish just off any beach, even by the port.  Bonaire is blessed with great marine life.  

However, the snorkel at Klein Bonaire (which I have done on several occasions) is special. 

Here's why:  On Klein, there is a beautiful reef just off the beach with a drop-off to deep water about 100 - 200  yards offshore.  That set-up runs along the coast of the island. 

Search "Klein Bonaire" on Google Earth and you'll clearly see why it's so special.  The snorkel spot is the coast of Klein closest to the main island.  Klein Bonaire Island is all a nature preserve.

PLUS, the current there runs directly along the shoreline so it's called a drift-snorkel because you don't even have to swim. Just float along the reef and/or drop-off and the current just pushes you along.  You see so much because the current keeps you moving.

It is really outstanding.  If you "love" to snorkel, this is a don't miss it.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 10:10 PM, dougocam said:

I just did that trip and ship a month ago in a suite. Cancel the cabana. You will not want to be that close to commoners, I mean the retreat sun deck is very, very nice. As far as tours, those are the three ugliest Caribbean islands I have been to. They aren’t very tropical, but more like deserts. I toured each of them, but honestly nothing was all that impressive. My suggestion is to just do something that sounds fun since there isn’t a lot to see. The ship tour is a personal preference item. I think every other optional dining venue provides a better experience than the Magic Carpet. Try to go to Eden. Expensive but best experience.

Ugly?!??? Wow. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I absolutely love desert environments so I find them very beautiful.  To each their own I guess. These are my very favorite of all Caribbean islands. And besides water activities, there is no Caribbean island I know of with much else to see. I do also love the tropical islands for their own individual beauty but to me there is nothing more beautiful than a desert landscape. 

• Like 1

Another vote here for Woodwind snorkeling in Bonaire…was the best snorkeling experience so far for me. The crew on the boat were very professional and the food for snacks and lunch was so delicious 😋 I’d do that tour again in a heartbeat! 🤿 

• Like 1

If you like to snorkel, book Woodwind in Bonaire.  Best snorkeling we’ve done anywhere.  We’ve gone with Woodwind twice and would go again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three unique "off the beaten track" attractions in the ABC islands.

Aruba - The Old Protestant Church that is a few blocks from the dock.  The pastor will give you a brief tour of the church, show you the collection of 400+ year old bibles, and will answer ANY question about Aruba.  It is better than most enrichment programs on the ship.

https://www.monumentenfondsaruba.com/project/protestant-church/

Bonaire -  If you have never been in a Dutch grocery store, check out Van den Tweel supermarket.  This store sells a wide variety of imported European products.  It is a 15 minute walk from the cruise dock on Industrial Rd.

https://www.facebook.com/vdtsbonaire/

Curacao - In the downtown area, there are two unique sites that are worth a visit.

There is the Curacao Philatelic Museum contains all of the stamps issues by Curacao as well as the other Dutch Antilles islands.  It is in a back alley and worth a 45 minute visit.

https://www.cpostinternational.com/postmuseum/

The Mikvé Israel-Emanuel synagogue in Curaçao was consecrated in 1732. It is the oldest synagogue in continuous use in the Americas. The synagogue connects you to Spanish and Portuguese Jewish roots that can be traced back to the Iberian peninsula of the 1500s.

https://snoa.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2024 at 5:57 PM, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Eagle Beach in Aruba often makes lists of top beaches in the world. I’ve only stayed at a small boutique adults only resort there and highly recommend the beach, however visiting might be different.  

What is the name of this resort?

Would you recommend it?

On 7/15/2024 at 1:21 PM, jlawrence01 said:

Three unique "off the beaten track" attractions in the ABC islands.

Aruba - The Old Protestant Church that is a few blocks from the dock.  The pastor will give you a brief tour of the church, show you the collection of 400+ year old bibles, and will answer ANY question about Aruba.  It is better than most enrichment programs on the ship.

https://www.monumentenfondsaruba.com/project/protestant-church/

Bonaire -  If you have never been in a Dutch grocery store, check out Van den Tweel supermarket.  This store sells a wide variety of imported European products.  It is a 15 minute walk from the cruise dock on Industrial Rd.

https://www.facebook.com/vdtsbonaire/

Curacao - In the downtown area, there are two unique sites that are worth a visit.

There is the Curacao Philatelic Museum contains all of the stamps issues by Curacao as well as the other Dutch Antilles islands.  It is in a back alley and worth a 45 minute visit.

https://www.cpostinternational.com/postmuseum/

The Mikvé Israel-Emanuel synagogue in Curaçao was consecrated in 1732. It is the oldest synagogue in continuous use in the Americas. The synagogue connects you to Spanish and Portuguese Jewish roots that can be traced back to the Iberian peninsula of the 1500s.

https://snoa.com/

^^^^^ Some great ideas if one has already visited all the usual points of interest.

Or if one is not so much a water person.

On 7/12/2024 at 9:41 PM, roxannex said:

…Honestly, I’m on a GLP-1 so food isn’t that interesting to me in general anymore. 

Yeah, me too. It really is different cruising!  I had to tell the waiters that it wasn’t that I didn’t like the food, I just couldn’t eat it. I lost 4 pounds on my last cruise!  It was port heavy and we did a ton of walking!!

On 7/8/2024 at 11:35 PM, Armac said:

Another vote for Bonaire Cruisers. We have rented golf carts a few times, always a good day. Its interesting to see how much their business has grown over the years, Larger facility and many more carts. We bring our own snorkel equipment and stop along the way.    

Just curious; did you do south or north trail with Golf Carts and which is best if you did both?

We have done the southern route 3 times, we only did part of the northern route. We have been told that you can do both in a day, but we found that with stopping to snorkel and look at stuff we just didn't have enough time. That's the reason we only did part of the northern route, just did not have enough time. This probably doesn't help you too much, however I can say that when you rent your cart they are very good at giving directions and telling you what there is to see.     

After completing the southern loop route, we headed north toward 1,000 Steps.  By then it was too bloody hot to continue, so we turned around and headed back to the office.

I am so glad we saw the 1,000 Steps, but getting there and back through town was an uninspired journey.  
Take the time to fully enjoy the points of interest along the south route making sure to stop at Sebastian’s Beach for a cold adult beverage and a dip in the water.😁

IMG_2759.thumb.jpeg.50ef9616b064b15dcbb9ee3b66aaed16.jpeg