Muster on the Jubilee

How does Muster work on this ship?. Last cruise I was on (2014) Muster was mandatory at your designated meeting place outside. They wouldn't start till EVERYONE was accounted for. It was after you got in your cabin cuz you had to bring your life jacket with you to Muster. 

You can immediately go to your muster station as soon as you board the ship. Once there you check in, listen to Carnival rep for about 2 minutes and you’re done. Don’t have to wait on others.

• Like 2

Yeah, Muster, sadly, doesn't even last 2 minutes. About 35 people died on the Concordia. If that happened today, maybe hundreds. Its in one ear, out the other muster.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, but I completely disagree. With the old muster style, I found most people standing in the crowd with us just wanted to get it over with and get out of the heat or get back to drinking/partying, etc, and paid little, to no, attention to the crew member giving instructions or the announcements. So, I doubt the current method makes any difference at all.

JMHO

• Like 4

Just now, Pyrate13 said:

Sorry, but I completely disagree. With the old muster style, I found most people standing in the crowd with us just wanted to get it over with and get out of the heat or get back to drinking/partying, etc, and paid little, to no, attention to the crew member giving instructions or the announcements. So, I doubt the current method makes any difference at all.

JMHO

We won't know until it's truly put to the test of course. Prayerfully, it never will be.

• Like 2

Now you'll do your muster as soon as you get onboard, go to your station and get your boarding pass scanned.  No lifejackets in the room, they will be at the stations in case of an emergency.  You do have some time to do your muster if you choose to wait a bit, but if you don't do it they will stop bar service about 3pm for EVERYONE until everyone has done it. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TexasRed said:

Now you'll do your muster as soon as you get onboard, go to your station and get your boarding pass scanned.  No lifejackets in the room, they will be at the stations in case of an emergency.  You do have some time to do your muster if you choose to wait a bit, but if you don't do it they will stop bar service about 3pm for EVERYONE until everyone has done it. 

That's entirely incorrect. There absolutely MUST be sufficient lifejackets in each stateroom for the guests assigned to that room.

It seems that the only purpose of the present muster drill is so that every passenger will know (momentarily at least) where his/her muster station is.  My last two muster stations were in the theater, and I still remember! 

So in the event of emergency, I knew where to assemble.  With or without my life jacket, depending on where I was when the emergency was declared.

But there are also emergency drill videos playing in the cabin as I unpack.  Those are educational for newbies.  The ship does try to make them entertaining so the passengers will pay attention.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TexasRed said:

but if you don't do it they will stop bar service about 3pm for EVERYONE until everyone has done it. 

They always stop bar service about this time so they can do the official briefing no mater if all have completed or not.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 12:20 PM, Pyrate13 said:

JMHO

And, in fact, most of the "instructions" given during the drill were to fill the time, so whether or not anyone paid attention was of little consequence.  And, in an actual emergency, those same people would be bitching about "getting this over with".  The old muster drill format gave everyone the experience of what an actual muster would be like, with everyone moving to the stations at one time, and tended to make that route a bit more "sticky" in people's minds.  I recall a post from an RCI cruise about a year after the restart, where they had an actual muster (I believe it was for a man overboard situation), and the poster mentioned the chaos because most people didn't remember what deck their muster station was on, let alone where it was.  And the justification for this from the poster was that "it was nearly a week ago that we boarded and went to our stations".  Around the same time, NCL briefly went back to the old muster, and a poster commented on the chaos here as well, since the crew had not been training with actually mustering all the passengers at once.  God help us in an actual emergency.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My last jubilee was the quickest. On most they show you how to put on a life jacket and that's it. Last time on Jubilee they just wanted me to know where the life jackets were stored.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jsglow said:

So there are ZERO life jackets in Excel staterooms? News to me. TY. (Never sailed on one.)

Yeah, the Jubilee was our first cruise since the restart and we were quite surprised. No life jackets in the cabin, but lockers full of them in the muster station (ours was just a few decks below up in the dining room).

On 7/10/2024 at 4:27 PM, jsglow said:

So there are ZERO life jackets in Excel staterooms? News to me. TY. (Never sailed on one.)

Correct.  Jubilee, Mardi Gras and Celebration do not have life jackets in the room, they tell you in the event of an emergency to go straight to your muster station.

I am booked on the Jubliee deck 16 forward.  Where will the muster station be located?

I cruised on the Firenze in September and found the muster station info here on cruise critic.  As soon as we boarded, I told the hubby that we could do muster right then and since I knew exactly where to go (via intel from reading on cruise critic), we did.  It was so easy.  Thanks to those here on CC that helped us out!

@lasvegascruising, there is no rush to muster.  Your muster station‘s location is clearly set forth on the inside of your cabin door and on your sail and sip (or whatever it’s called) key card.  

I normally drop off my carry-on baggage in the cabin (priority benefit) and grab my cards, have lunch at the Buffet and check in at the muster station around 2 PM. Plenty of time, the muster takes about 5 to 10 minutes, and all is good.

22 hours ago, lasvegascruising said:

I am booked on the Jubliee deck 16 forward.  Where will the muster station be located?

I cruised on the Firenze in September and found the muster station info here on cruise critic.  As soon as we boarded, I told the hubby that we could do muster right then and since I knew exactly where to go (via intel from reading on cruise critic), we did.  It was so easy.  Thanks to those here on CC that helped us out!

It will be on your boarding pass, there will be crew available to point you in the right direction if you want to do it as soon as you board.

On 7/12/2024 at 11:21 PM, lasvegascruising said:

I was in 16279 and we mustered at ChiBang. So I’m assuming yours will be there too.

On 7/20/2024 at 1:24 PM, lasvegascruising said:

Thank you kelkel2, this is the info I was looking for.

Not a problem! I’ll try to answer any other jubilee questions you have!