Just off Navigator of the Seas

Just off Navigator of the Seas - our first time sailing out of California. The cruise port was tiny compared to what we are used to; it’s literally a tent - but very efficient. Honestly, the smoothest embarkation we’ve had in while, which was nice. The ship itself hides it’s age well and the crew were fabulous. I was working in my travel journal, where I often do watercolor paintings, and someone stopped to ask to look over my shoulder - it was the Captain of the ship! He stayed and chatted with me for a few moments and I really feel that his friendliness and leadership probably influence the rest of the ship in a really positive way. The windjammer was better in quality and variety than what we experienced on Liberty last fall, which was surprising but also VERY welcome as we were rather disappointed in the options on that ship. Also, the MDR service was actually efficient as well as friendly - which was another significant change from Liberty, where dinner took us over 90 minutes (still not as bad as Princess, which routinely took 2+hours, but had us wondering if all ships/cruiselines were operating with a serious deficiency in staffing on purpose, to cut costs, making dinner service a tedious test of patience). All in all, we had a good time for a short 4 nighter - which was definitely welcome respite after back to back theme park days at Disneyland/DCA!

The Friday we disembarked, we also took advantage of the fact that the USS Iowa (AKA “The Big Stick”) is berthed right next to RCCL’s berth, and toured the floating museum. Really enjoyed learning about that ships tours of service as well as seeing other maritime exhibits.

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, RedJessi said:

Just off Navigator of the Seas - our first time sailing out of California. The cruise port was tiny compared to what we are used to; it’s literally a tent - but very efficient. Honestly, the smoothest embarkation we’ve had in while, which was nice. The ship itself hides it’s age well and the crew were fabulous. I was working in my travel journal, where I often do watercolor paintings, and someone stopped to ask to look over my shoulder - it was the Captain of the ship! He stayed and chatted with me for a few moments and I really feel that his friendliness and leadership probably influence the rest of the ship in a really positive way. The windjammer was better in quality and variety than what we experienced on Liberty last fall, which was surprising but also VERY welcome as we were rather disappointed in the options on that ship. Also, the MDR service was actually efficient as well as friendly - which was another significant change from Liberty, where dinner took us over 90 minutes (still not as bad as Princess, which routinely took 2+hours, but had us wondering if all ships/cruiselines were operating with a serious deficiency in staffing on purpose, to cut costs, making dinner service a tedious test of patience). All in all, we had a good time for a short 4 nighter - which was definitely welcome respite after back to back theme park days at Disneyland/DCA!

The Friday we disembarked, we also took advantage of the fact that the USS Iowa (AKA “The Big Stick”) is berthed right next to RCCL’s berth, and toured the floating museum. Really enjoyed learning about that ships tours of service as well as seeing other maritime exhibits.

Thanks for the review.   We board with our granddaughter on Friday.   As to the Iowa we toured her last fall on a repositioning cruise on the Radiance.. Vancouver to San Diego then the Panama Canal transit. Fun to tour those old ships.

• Like 3

We've cruise out of Los Angeles Harbor many times on Royal and Princess. Many times when we are there the fire off a charge on the USS Iowa. They haven't sunk a cruise ship yet, but you never know. (Or are they firing just to show they can fire the guns without blowing them up?)

We live very close to the port and were so happy with Royal came back and have sailed Navigator a few times on both the short and long cruises. We really enjoye this ship. She is leaving late next year and Quantum is coming in. We have tickets on her first cruise. Looks like the city and port are about to appove an expansion out on the outer port area that will support the larger ships. Hope Royal can develop some additional port stop locations on the west coast at some point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RedJessi said:

Thanks for the review...  I'm glad all is still well on Navigator.  We've been on her several times in the last year and a half and have her booked four more times over the next 7 months.  She's kind of become my "home ship". We have loved Oasis class ships as well as other classes sailing to the Caribbean but not having to fly to board a cruise is just such a treat.    We've always had good luck in the MDR on Navigator.  I've also found bar service to be exceptional.  I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. 🙂 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Quick question for RedJessi. We have sailed Navigator three times since mid pandemic and have never had our checkin times checked. Did they check your checkin times for your cruise. 

That has been my experience too.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

We live very close to the port and were so happy with Royal came back and have sailed Navigator a few times on both the short and long cruises. We really enjoye this ship. She is leaving late next year and Quantum is coming in. We have tickets on her first cruise. Looks like the city and port are about to appove an expansion out on the outer port area that will support the larger ships. Hope Royal can develop some additional port stop locations on the west coast at some point. 

Same here - Oct 2, 2025, right? 😃 I’m excited that she is coming to LA. I just wish the itineraries were better but at least the sea days will allow us to really enjoy the ship. We are on the Navigator is a few weeks. She is a fun ship too. 

3 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

Hmmm...Navigator leaving next year ?? We're booked on her for Feb 2026. I believe Quantum is coming in Oct 2025 (short cruises which are a waste of a great ship) but I doubt she'll take Navigators itinerary and home port here for long.

41 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm...Navigator leaving next year ?? We're booked on her for Feb 2026. I believe Quantum is coming in Oct 2025 (short cruises which are a waste of a great ship) but I doubt she'll take Navigators itinerary and home port here for long.

I wondered about that too.  Navigator appears on the schedule through April 2026 and indications from World  All indications I have seen are that she continues through the 26/27 season along with Quantum. 

7 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

Nav is actually not leaving - they are having both ships here 🙂. Excited for the comparisons!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nanseev said:

Nav is actually not leaving - they are having both ships here 🙂. Excited for the comparisons!

We were hoping for Navigator to keep going south and Quantum to head north with a occasional 15 night round trip to Honolulu and back.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nanseev said:

Thats good, I thought since Quantum was running the same route we had taken Navigator on that she was going to replace her. 

17 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Quick question for RedJessi. We have sailed Navigator three times since mid pandemic and have never had our checkin times checked. Did they check your checkin times for your cruise. 

It was not checked as far as I could see, but I also wasn't paying strict attention to what info on my sea pass they were paying attention to, and we arrived right at our checkin time, to the T. 🙂

Been on the NV about a dozen times since the restart. It’s always a mixed bag if times are checked. Just depends on the person doing the checking. Some are more strict than others. We always cruise in a suite and they have always checked our boarding pass to ensure that we’re in the correct line. Also, the terminal is not a tent. There is a tent used for security and then you move into the main terminal “building”. 

What have been your experiences for transportation to and from the San Pedro (LA) cruise port?

We are flying into Long Beach Airport and staying overnight in hotel close to airport. Assuming that a taxi/uber/lyft is the best way to get to the port the next day for boarding Navigator on Sunday for a 4 night cruise as opposed to using an RCCL airport to port transfer.

At the end of the cruise we have a late (6pm) flight out of long Beach Airport. Considering renting a car to spend the afternoon touring till our flight.

Does anyone have experience with renting a car or using an RCCL transfer back to the Long Beach airport?

23 minutes ago, VArbon said:

What have been your experiences for transportation to and from the San Pedro (LA) cruise port?

We are flying into Long Beach Airport and staying overnight in hotel close to airport. Assuming that a taxi/uber/lyft is the best way to get to the port the next day for boarding Navigator on Sunday for a 4 night cruise as opposed to using an RCCL airport to port transfer.

At the end of the cruise we have a late (6pm) flight out of long Beach Airport. Considering renting a car to spend the afternoon touring till our flight.

Does anyone have experience with renting a car or using an RCCL transfer back to the Long Beach airport?

Uber/Lyft are easy from that area. What you do want to be careful of is the neighborhood that you stay in. There are some really sketchy neighborhoods just a mile or two from that airport. Down by the harbor in Long Beach there are some nicer places- like the Queen Mary.

On the return loop there is a Hertz location in San Pedro that allows drop offs at the airport. I just glanced at Expedia and the prices are pretty fair. 

• Like 1

Thank you, for the transpo info.

I have booked the Hampton Inn Long Beach Airport, 3771 N Lakewood Blvd.

is that in an OK area? It is about 1 mile from the airport.

On 7/10/2024 at 4:34 PM, VArbon said:

We are flying into Long Beach Airport and staying overnight in hotel close to airport.

We flew in and out of LAX, so a bit different - we did a few days at the theme parks. We relied on Uber and it was affordable. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza - very close to the port.