Wine menus in the main dining rooms

calberry

1 hour ago, Jnsplace1 said:

From Nov 2023, this website has a link to the wine menu.   At least, give a brouse?

https://freestyletravelers.com/blog/princess-wine-list

I was pretty excited to see this link.  However, I doubt that this list is still in use.  It has been a while since we have been able to cruise on Princess, but that list was introduced in, I am going to say, 2018 or 2017.  Now if somebody has actually seen this list on a recent cruise--say, in the last year--I will be very pleased to hear that I am wrong.

Anecdote:  I was once chatting about wines with the headwaiter in one of the specialty restaurants and asked if he'd ever sold a $5200 bottle of Petrus.  (Way out of my league.)  He told me that once a group of Asian men ordered two bottles.

17 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I was pretty excited to see this link.  However, I doubt that this list is still in use.  It has been a while since we have been able to cruise on Princess, but that list was introduced in, I am going to say, 2018 or 2017.  Now if somebody has actually seen this list on a recent cruise--say, in the last year--I will be very pleased to hear that I am wrong.

Anecdote:  I was once chatting about wines with the headwaiter in one of the specialty restaurants and asked if he'd ever sold a $5200 bottle of Petrus.  (Way out of my league.)  He told me that once a group of Asian men ordered two bottles.

I believe this wine list to be pre-Plus package, right after the restart.  If this was the current wine list, I would be ecstatic, but I don't this so.  I am on the Island in 14 days and will try to report back. 

We were on the Enchanted in November and they still had the Errazuiz Carmenere and one decent white by the glass in the plus package.  We would usually pay up $2-3 a glass for the Seghesio Zin or Silverado Cab.  Life is too short to drink anything named Tini, Coastal Vines, Papi, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pppatpc2 said:

Life is too short to drink anything named Tini, Coastal Vines, Papi, etc.

Fortunately. Princess has a very wine friendly carry-on policy.  In the past I have carried on 5 or 6 bottles.  We are, in fact booked on our next Princess cruise, and my plan is to bring a case.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

When Sun Princess launched, someone posted this list.  It has a 2/24 date listed at the end.  The link posted earlier in this thread is definitely outdated.

Sun-Princess-Main-Dining-Room-Wine-List x(1219155.1).pdf 478.98 kB · 1 download

Thank you, very much, for posting this.  It is much better than I had been led to believe.  I will still be bringing along my own wine. but both Mrs. XBGuy and I can find good offerings from this list.

35 minutes ago, pepbcn28 said:

I would like to see some of the wine bottles to be available by the glass… 

If I were CEO for a day...I would allow a guest with Premier to select any bottle they want from the wine list that has a price tag of $85 or less and let them have the whole bottle for 6 credits divided up any way they want. (6 for 1 person; 3 each for two people in the same cabin; 2 each for 3 people in the same cabin).  It doesn't make any sense to me why the server has to go back and forth from the MDR to the bar to get 6 separate glasses of Silverado Cabernet during the course of dinner for 6 credits, but isn't allowed to bring the full bottle to the table so that the guests can pour the wine themselves.  It would be easier on everyone.  And if Silverado Cabernet at $81 per bottle can be acquired by the glass, why can't Siduri Pinot Noir at $79?  If the reason is that they don't want to be left with half-open bottles of 50 bottles at the end of the night (a legitimate concern), then make certain bottles "full bottle only for 6 credits" and don't pour it by the glass.  That way, if the bottle is half-finished by the end of the night, the risk of oxidation and degradation falls on the guest and not on the bar.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

If I were CEO for a day...I would allow a guest with Premier to select any bottle they want from the wine list that has a price tag of $85 or less and let them have the whole bottle for 6 credits divided up any way they want. (6 for 1 person; 3 each for two people in the same cabin; 2 each for 3 people in the same cabin).  It doesn't make any sense to me why the server has to go back and forth from the MDR to the bar to get 6 separate glasses of Silverado Cabernet during the course of dinner for 6 credits, but isn't allowed to bring the full bottle to the table so that the guests can pour the wine themselves.  It would be easier on everyone.  And if Silverado Cabernet at $81 per bottle can be acquired by the glass, why can't Siduri Pinot Noir at $79?  If the reason is that they don't want to be left with half-open bottles of 50 bottles at the end of the night (a legitimate concern), then make certain bottles "full bottle only for 6 credits" and don't pour it by the glass.  That way, if the bottle is half-finished by the end of the night, the risk of oxidation and degradation falls on the guest and not on the bar.   

I like the way you think!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

When Sun Princess launched, someone posted this list.  It has a 2/24 date listed at the end.  The link posted earlier in this thread is definitely outdated.

Sun-Princess-Main-Dining-Room-Wine-List x(1219155.1).pdf 478.98 kB · 24 downloads

Thanks for the list. What sticks me is that the lists for plus and premier state that it is complementary by the glass. I thought we paid for Plus & Premier.

5 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Exactly!!

I am hoping with fixed seating they will continue the practice of holding an unfinished bottle for the next evening for those guests who want that.  (I know this was possible during DMW, but it was such confused hassle.)  On our last couple of cruises (a year or so ago) we had the drinks package but did not care for the "by-the-glass" selections in the MDR.  Before DMW, we always got a bottle of something we actually liked, and, on the occasion we didn't finish the bottle, we had the server store it for us to use the next evening.  (This did not happen every night.  We are a couple of lushes. 😝)  Anyway, I hope the new dining scheme will include this "traditional" service.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently on the Island Princess and am happy to report that there a few more acceptable (IMHO) options on the Plus package.  The Footbolt Shiraz is back as well as the Renegade red blend by Ancient Peaks.

Gotta go research the whites….work, work, work.

i am also uploading photos of the dining room wines by the glass.

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

IMG_5588.jpeg

IMG_5587.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this - we board tomorrow and have the premier fare. There are some wines here I recognise and enjoy, and it’s confirmed we did the right thing to upgrade from plus. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 11:28 AM, Kay S said:

I am hoping with fixed seating they will continue the practice of holding an unfinished bottle for the next evening for those guests who want that.  (I know this was possible during DMW, but it was such confused hassle.)  On our last couple of cruises (a year or so ago) we had the drinks package but did not care for the "by-the-glass" selections in the MDR.  Before DMW, we always got a bottle of something we actually liked, and, on the occasion we didn't finish the bottle, we had the server store it for us to use the next evening.  (This did not happen every night.  We are a couple of lushes. 😝)  Anyway, I hope the new dining scheme will include this "traditional" service.

We have been able to do this on all of our cruises without any issues we just have to tell the server what restaurant we were in

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 6:03 AM, pppatpc2 said:

I believe this wine list to be pre-Plus package, right after the restart.  If this was the current wine list, I would be ecstatic, but I don't this so.  I am on the Island in 14 days and will try to report back. 

We were on the Enchanted in November and they still had the Errazuiz Carmenere and one decent white by the glass in the plus package.  We would usually pay up $2-3 a glass for the Seghesio Zin or Silverado Cab.  Life is too short to drink anything named Tini, Coastal Vines, Papi, etc.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

We have been able to do this on all of our cruises without any issues we just have to tell the server what restaurant we were in

We loved the seghesio zin and Silverado cab.  Last two cruises they did not have them or anything like their caliper in my opinion.  I think they have gone for less expensive wines because even premier wines were not that great.  Don’t know why.  We always purchased by the bottle.  Last two cruises were on Ruby and emerald.  Going on regal next, so we shall see

3 hours ago, pppatpc2 said:

I am currently on the Island Princess and am happy to report that there a few more acceptable (IMHO) options on the Plus package.  The Footbolt Shiraz is back as well as the Renegade red blend by Ancient Peaks.

Gotta go research the whites….work, work, work.

i am also uploading photos of the dining room wines by the glass.

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

IMG_5588.jpeg

IMG_5587.jpeg

Thanks for this!  Please report back with the results of your research. I am trying to justify an upgrade to premium but on a 21 night cruise with the same two specialty dining meals it’s hard to do, so I’m simultaneously trying to decide if I can live with plus and a few glasses at extra cost.  

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

so I’m simultaneously trying to decide if I can live with plus and a few glasses at extra cost

We purchase the Plus Package and pay to upgrade our wine.  We find this much more economical than paying for the Premier package.  🍷 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We purchase the Plus Package and pay to upgrade our wine.  We find this much more economical than paying for the Premier package.  🍷 

totally agree - except for our little 5 day - no-brainer premier on that on one - would have to look at a 7 day - prolly not and definitely not on anything longer.

5 day cruise - 2 specialty dinners

21 day cruise - 2 specialty dinners

• Like 1

I hate that Princess dumbed down the wine list for Plus passengers. When I had Plus in 2022, there were lots of wines available by the glass for $12 or less--the limit then. Now that they increased the limit to $15, they removed all of the wines by the glass except for the ones just listed by the grape variety. There's a big difference between Franzia Chardonnay and even a Black Box one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, voljeep said:

totally agree - except for our little 5 day - no-brainer premier on that on one - would have to look at a 7 day - prolly not and definitely not on anything longer.

5 day cruise - 2 specialty dinners

21 day cruise - 2 specialty dinners

But on a TA there are so many sea days that the unlimited casual dining is appealing also. 

• Like 1