When was your first cruise on Carnival?

Carnival Imagination in 2003.  It was my fist cruise and a graduation (undergrad) celebration with my roommates from college.  Haven't been back on Carnival but booked on the Horizon in March 2025!

• Like 1

July 1996 on The Sensation . The Eastern Caribbean. It was 7 days. I think $499 for an inside . Our son was half price . There were no drink packages . 

In 2010, my brother and I got my parents a cruise on Royal Caribbean as a gift for their wedding anniversary. None of us had ever been on a cruise before but my mom is a big Bob Marley fan so we thought it would be fun to send her to Jamaica to see where he was from. My parents loved the cruise so much that the next year they invited me and my brother to come on a cruise with them. My brother couldn't make it (he had a newborn son to take care of) so it was just me and my parents. It was a 7 night cruise on the Carnival Legend in November 2011. It left out of Miami and went to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. That's what started our cruise addiction. We go on at least one cruise a year and sometimes two or three in the same year. Even in 2020 we managed to go on a cruise before COVID shut down cruising (Carnival Ecstasy in Feb 2020). You can see all of the cruises I've been on in my signature. My parents have gone on about twice as many cruises as me in the same time period.

Tropicale July 1984 from Los Angelos to Mexican Riviera 

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in the Dining Room at early or late seating.

Midnight Buffet

No extra charge for soda

Airfare was included in the price!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We sailed on Carnival Destiny in 2000.  Sailed on Sunshine twice after the conversion. Carnival messed it up so bad that we won't cruise on it again.

Edited by bfury

58 minutes ago, bfury said:

We sailed on Carnival Destiny in 2000.  Sailed on Sunshine twice after the conversion. Carnival messed it up so bad that we won't cruise on it again.

Were you undecided after the first time?

Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans in 2007. I was 8 years old at the time, and remember looking up from the port terminal, dumb struck, and shouting "Wow that ship is ginormous!" 13 cruises and 17 years later, that all seems tiny now. 

Carnival Victory in 2001.  We did not cruise again on Carnival until 2006, then 2010, and lastly 2024.

First cruise was Disney Magic in March of 2000, followed by the Disney Wonder in the fall of 2000.  With so many cruise line choices throughout the years, we have not been able to justify the cost of another Disney cruise since then.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 171510Cook said:

Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans in 2007. I was 8 years old at the time, and remember looking up from the port terminal, dumb struck, and shouting "Wow that ship is ginormous!" 13 cruises and 17 years later, that all seems tiny now. 

I thought I was going to be the first Fantasy! 🤣

2006 Wife's new to her at the time company (been there nearly 20 years now) took their employees to sea for a kind of mini-conference. Spouses could tag along for a nominal fee. 

The atrium, bars, and the cigar bar with Poker and all the wood in the back of the Fantasy class hooked me. I still miss those lounges. 

Came home to my Mother in law totaling my boat and hitting my new car on the way by for good measure...Good times!

• Haha 1

1997 Carnival Fantasy. Was the "biggest" ship I'd ever seen! 🤣 I was google-eyed and making amazing comments to my husband on the way to the ship. I remember hearing the others on the bus laughing at me. The farm girl had never seen anything like it before. 

Posted (edited)

Gosh it was in 1998. It was the second cruise we ever took (first was on RCI).  Itinerary was Mexican Riviera.  I can't begin to remember the Carnival ship name.  

Edited by ldubs

On 7/12/2024 at 11:53 AM, dctravel said:

I sailed on the original Mardi Gras in 1989. A four day cruise to the Bahamas, that included time at the hotel Carnival then owned called the Crystal Palace. Don't remember much about it (I was a kid at the time), other than I had a good time and got stung by a jelly fish on the beach!

Also stayed at the Crystal Palace. It was an all-inclusive hotel. Carnival always had packages for the hotel which included - get ready- airfare on Carnival Airlines. Back then, Carnival was also an airline.

image.png.062ddeb2ec9bd1c3213d03d6af29a79a.png

• Like 2