Cocktail question

7 hours ago, NickyLovesDisney said:

Random question - looking at some of the cocktails menus in trip reports some of the drinks include whiskey - is that whiskey as in scotch / Irish whiskey (which I hate) or as in bourbon (which I love).

In my experience they will make it however you want...

7 hours ago, NickyLovesDisney said:

Random question - looking at some of the cocktails menus in trip reports some of the drinks include whiskey - is that whiskey as in scotch / Irish whiskey (which I hate) or as in bourbon (which I love).

You can ask for any brand of liquor you want in any of the cocktails they have.

You may have to pay more depending on the cost of the drink or if you have a package. 

13 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Here is a few sample offerings.

each ship may have a different supply, but at least you get an idea.

IMG_0617.thumb.jpeg.fa9018c49cfd5f3db252a1bd713f7ba3.jpeg

IMG_0616.thumb.jpeg.3cd44d90d69a26807f3b81a9a31d270e.jpeg

Not Much in the way of rye or Bourbon is there ?

3 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

Woodford is always within the plus package as is Buffalo Trace. Now for rye very little choice on most cruises there are no great ones at least under $15

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, memoak said:

Woodford is always within the plus package as is Buffalo Trace. Now for rye very little choice on most cruises there are no great ones at least under $15

sorry we are premier package:   Woodford is not good at all  but i thought I saw buffalo trace ! witch is fine they did have CC and Crown Royal in passed ?

Edited by Gail & Dan

20 minutes ago, Gail & Dan said:

sorry we are premier package:   Woodford is not good at all  but i thought I saw buffalo trace ! witch is fine they did have CC and Crown Royal in passed ?

Canadian whiskey is not my thing but Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace make fine Manhattans   They also usually have Makers Mark just wish they would add Elijah Craig (my go to at home)

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

Canadian whiskey is not my thing but Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace make fine Manhattans   They also usually have Makers Mark just wish they would add Elijah Craig (my go to at home)

not so much for an old Fashioned at least woodford , or normally just have a cube or two of ice  yes they did have makers mark fine but again not what you would call top shelf !  

19 minutes ago, Gail & Dan said:

not so much for an old Fashioned at least woodford , or normally just have a cube or two of ice  yes they did have makers mark fine but again not what you would call top shelf !  

I think since 75% of passengers have a package, Princess doesn’t feel compelled to offer much from the top shelf.  My preference is Basil Hayden’s, which I have not found on board 3 Princess ships. Unlike you, I am happy with Woodford Reserve and despise Makers Mark. I did find Bulleit on Enchanted as well. Ryes are certainly lacking but not nearly as popular as bourbon where I drink. Also casual observation from hours spent sitting at bars on ships, few passengers order their whiskey straight. Most are having it in a cocktail where the flavor is diluted and top shelf liquor is wasted.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I think since 75% of passengers have a package, Princess doesn’t feel compelled to offer much from the top shelf.  My preference is Basil Hayden’s, which I have not found on board 3 Princess ships. Unlike you, I am happy with Woodford Reserve and despise Makers Mark. I did find Bulleit on Enchanted as well. Ryes are certainly lacking but not nearly as popular as bourbon where I drink. Also casual observation from hours spent sitting at bars on ships, few passengers order their whiskey straight. Most are having it in a cocktail where the flavor is diluted and top shelf liquor is wasted.

yes, I'd like a scotch and soda, please

ok, what kind of scotch would you like?

how about that JW Blue - heard that's pretty good

doh!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I have my Mahattans up with just a tiny bit of vermouth. My wife drinks chilled Grey Goose vodka up no vermouth. Watching people ordering bourbon and coke dtrivrs me crazy

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

yes, I'd like a scotch and soda, please

ok, what kind of scotch would you like?

how about that JW Blue - heard that's pretty good

doh!

They have but it is a heck of an up charge plus 18% 

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have my Mahattans up with just a tiny bit of vermouth. My wife drinks chilled Grey Goose vodka up no vermouth. Watching people ordering bourbon and coke dtrivrs me crazy

They have but it is a heck of an up charge plus 18% 

Bourbon and coke sounds like someone who is planning to consume all 15 every day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

I'm fine with Bulleit Bourbon but I really wish they would carry Bulleit Rye which is my drink of choice.

43 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Bourbon and coke sounds like someone who is planning to consume all 15 every day.

Actually you probably get less booze and just more volume in the drink.  I’ll stick to mine and still consume 10+ per day

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I'm fine with Bulleit Bourbon but I really wish they would carry Bulleit Rye which is my drink of choice.

The last cruise the only rye they had was by Jack Daniel’s   Yuck

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Also casual observation from hours spent sitting at bars on ships, few passengers order their whiskey straight. Most are having it in a cocktail where the flavor is diluted and top shelf liquor is wasted.

I drink my whiskey (and whisky) straight up. It amazes me when I order it that way and they bring me something with ice. I send it back. Sometimes they just pour the now-diluted whiskey into another glass and try to fob it off on me but I sent that back as well. I order it straight up because that's how I want it and don't appreciate it when they serve it on the rocks. As for cocktails such as Manhattans - Blech.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

The last cruise the only rye they had was by Jack Daniel’s 

Yep. A lack of Bulleit Rye gets mentioned in my surveys but, of course, it does no good.

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I drink my whiskey (and whisky) straight up. It amazes me when I order it that way and they bring me something with ice. I send it back. Sometimes they just pour the now-diluted whiskey into another glass and try to fob it off on me but I sent that back as well. I order it straight up because that's how I want it and don't appreciate it when they serve it on the rocks. As for cocktails such as Manhattans - Blech.

My version of a Manhattan that I have the bartenders make is dash of sweet vermouth and bourbon chilled a served up in a martini glass

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

I enjoy it more on the rocks myself and hear what your saying they should be able to bring it however you order it , last princess cruise we were on in the aft bar my brother in law and I walked in they were busy , noticed us and brought us a bottle of grey goose lol guy behind me says I have been on many cruises and I have never seen them just drop off a bottle and say let me know when you need more lol 😂 

• Haha 1