Live: July 20-27 Norwegian Fjords Apex

5 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

For dinner I headed over around 5:45 to Cyprus.

We just returned from B2B Iceland and Norway 12 night.  We had fixed dining in Cyprus every night as we wanted the same wait staff.  Dinesh the head waiter in Cyprus took very good care of us for our 23 days.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

We never had any problems getting served in the martini bar on the last cruise. Plenty people were there with drinks but few were actually drinking martinis. Agree with you on the vanilla ice cream. It was so tasteless. 

ok so wasn’t me. I kept tasting it thinking ‘I’d it me’ then realized it just lacked any flavour. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 4:17 AM, Lena11033 said:

I stayed at the Moxy. I know a lot of people do Holiday Inn but I have Marriot rewards so it worked out. My stay included breakfast as well which was handy. I know around the corner there was premier inn as I saw it when I crossed over the road to go to the shopping centre which had loads of stores and restaurants. 
one thing based on today check how many shops are in. I’ll go into it more in a bit but the city today was a little chaotic 

Did you get breakfast included because of Marriott status or you booked a rate that included breakfast?  I ask because when we stayed in 2022, I was told I didn't get a breakfast benefit (I'm lifetime Titanium so it's usually included at many Marriott hotels), but they did tell me I could have coffee.

We're staying there next month for one night before our cruise.

Thanks!

Edited by abbydancer2003

7 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

ok so wasn’t me. I kept tasting it thinking ‘I’d it me’ then realized it just lacked any flavour. 

Was it a kind of pinkish color and they called it "Tahitian vanilla"?  I found it was only good when served atop a piece of the chocolate/chocolate cake.

17 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

same I have both. I’m used to use the UK one but there’s not really a difference now as it’s the same line

Iain used his UK one to quickly go through and I got stuck behind an Air Nairobi flight and they were closely questioning the guest... Took me over 2 hours to get through.   At least he had plenty of time to collect the luggage and was waiting.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/20/2024 at 1:29 PM, DaKahuna said:

I have had similar issue when eating out a lot due to the increased salt content in the food. 

I think my excuse is old age and my finger joint getting larger.    My wedding ring got so tight I couldn't get it off.   Found a cool hack on YouTube on wrapping a ribbon or Dental Floss around your finger --- It worked and I got it off and had it resized.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

We had the same experience on Apex and Edge this year.   The said they changed the Vanilla -   We are big ice cream eaters and just was off.   Both the flavor, color and texture.  The texture was more like Ice Milk.  

On 7/21/2024 at 7:09 PM, abbydancer2003 said:

Did you get breakfast included because of Marriott status or you booked a rate that included breakfast?  I ask because when we stayed in 2022, I was told I didn't get a breakfast benefit (I'm lifetime Titanium so it's usually included at many Marriott hotels), but they did tell me I could have coffee.

We're staying there next month for one night before our cruise.

Thanks!

They had an offer on for free breakfast when I booked. Otherwise normally yes I’d have to pay for it 

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:48 PM, cruisegirlppp said:

Was it a kind of pinkish color and they called it "Tahitian vanilla"?  I found it was only good when served atop a piece of the chocolate/chocolate cake.

no just lacked flavour. Someone else on this sailing mentioned the same thing. But apparently ice cream at scoops is fine just main dining. I will have to go for research purposes of course 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Day 2 Bruges

Early start. I woke up 40 mins before my alarm so just got up 😩 

The buffet was supposed to open at 5:30 but was more like 5:45 before it actually was. But managed to get a good size meal before grabbing a pistachio latte from cafe al bacio and heading back to my room to get ready for my excursion. We docked around 7 and was cleared at 7:22. So far seems quiet which is surprising considering it’s full and there are a lot of families on here. I mean I was going to bed at 10 and could hear one kid running down the hall screaming 😱 

I headed down for the excursion at 8:15. One thing I noticed this time which I don’t remember happening on previous cruises was they had people from the salon doing sampler massages there while we wait. 

I was there less than 10 mins before we were on our way. Once we were in Bruges we had a walking tour then after a bit of walking maybe like 30 mins we had a demonstration at the chocolate museum which lasted 30 mins. The tour guide after was ushering us out and not trying to get us to buy something. normally they are pushing you to buy something.

IMG_3512.thumb.jpeg.69aa9b7259a60f1238adf79b1514fe78.jpeg

IMG_3517.thumb.jpeg.f52959e6f41d61e89251ed59481adfcf.jpeg

We continued with the tour and then was given free time to wander about. The walking was hard because it was a national holiday plus lots of tours happening. 

I managed to get into some chocolate stores and pick up some beer for Mike. At the meeting point the guide was giving us a history on the brewery but I think everyone just wanted back by this point. 

IMG_3535.thumb.jpeg.540e4dbed384abda8e211e13baee4835.jpeg

As for passports not one Belgium official checked. Only thing they looked at was our sea pass. Which is different than last experience. I was here last year and had to go through the main building show ID and have everything scanned before putting us on the port shuttle. This time they came on the bus checked the card and the bus then went to the boat but I did see a lot of other buses have to stop at the main building and take a shuttle. Luck of the draw I guess 🍀 

Dinner
Honestly wasn’t impressed with the options for dinner in the main dining. I had gone to the buffet at lunch and it was far superior. 
Also noticed yesterday the meal came with no vegetables and today when ordering was asked if I want a side. In all honesty I shouldn’t have to order vegetables to go with a meal. 

I think next time I have main dining I’ll check out the options first and then decide on the buffet or not. 

After dinner I headed out to the Andrew Derbyshire show which was excellent. I had front row seats unfortunately there was a couple next to me where the woman thought she could sing along (you know it’s bad when the performers heard you and tells you to stop 🫣). Sorry but we are there for the performer not the audience. 
IMG_3561.thumb.jpeg.6cf863a91df12bd07834a6f19d4e22a0.jpeg

After I went to the pitfall game show (prizes same night as before) and the trivia before heading over to Eden for the show there. The Eden show is amazing. I got there at 9:40 and two rows were already taken so recommend getting there early as people who came for show start were standing. After the show it was 11:30 and between the meh dinner and drinks I needed food so buffet it was for some pizza before calling it a night. 

IMG_3575.thumb.jpeg.a371c7f431fe985bea00c672ff00ae14.jpeg

IMG_3589.thumb.jpeg.e37e43d8a7ae4ae98a3df65097e52f6f.jpeg

I will post videos when I have better internet connection. The basic wifi I can’t do much with so note to self next time get premium. 

• Like 8

Day 3 at sea

I slept in today but time I headed out was 8:30 (that’s a sleep in for me) and it was so quiet on the ship. I didn’t check the buffet out I went to Eden cafe to get a panini and a cinnamon roll (this one was better than the one I had on beyond) after which was time for my pistachio latte.

IMG_3608.thumb.jpeg.9c392fb0f1b5a341013457ea6210c07c.jpeg

I went for a stroll to the sunset bar to relax for a hour with my coffee as it was nice and warm. Ok not so warm I’d sun bath like some have been but I didn’t need layers. 

10:15 I killed some time with watching the trivia before the Captains club welcome event. I don’t know if they thought more were coming but there were more food and drinks than people. 

IMG_3618.thumb.jpeg.cfd6ef4488b4f9e9b165719dedeb08a4.jpeg

IMG_3621.thumb.jpeg.33ea38ff4c5c4914bdb4c6ac11856f2b.jpeg

Next up was jukebox trivia I ended up teaming up with a couple from the UK. No offence it was nice having more European music included that I would know 

This went until 12:45 at which point I needed food. The guys told me they were going to check it out for Belgium chocolates that was put out but the place looked picked over. The buffet was a zoo in there I barely found a place to sit. The theme today was British food and well it was a major fail. Celebrity seem to have a thing with calves liver, I’ve seen it listed and it was on the buffet. I don’t think it’s popular I ate liver as a child because we were poor. The bangers and mash, I should have taken a picture it was bad. The sausages were sliced up and looked more like hot dogs than traditional sausages. I took a ‘beef pie’ which is not a beef pie but a cottage pie (some people call it shepherds pie but needs to be made with lamb for that. If made with beef it’s cottage). So yeah the British theme needs improving, but the curries were good 😆 

After lunch I met the couple for music bingo which is a lot of fun. It was 70s themed and well you need to know the song and a few people thought they had bingo but didn’t because they had the wrong song. 

I headed to the pool deck for the bar for a bit. It was extremely busy. This cruise feels more busy than the beyond one I did but a guy I met said it seemed like a lot of families and large groups. 

A while trying to get a drink I noticed one of the servers kept missing this girl, she must have been early 20s and sweet she wouldn’t say anything.  So when he asked who is next I called him over to tell him to serve her then he tried not serving her because she ‘needed to be 21’ not in Europe. That’s a training issue there.

I met up with another couple for the next trivia session. I had met them the night before in Eden show and well I won’t say how we did needless to say themed trivia (unannounced it was themed) on animals is not our thing 😂 

After our massive fail I headed back to my room to rest and get ready for dinner at Eden. 

Dinner was relatively quiet. I don’t know what’s happening with menus but after I was seated they asked what drink I wanted but had yet to give me a drinks menu. So by day three whispering angel is out in Eden 🙄 

Amuse bouche was a nigiri I think hamachi. Then I had the crab cake followed by the lobster casserole. I went for the chocolate pie for dessert but unable to finish as it’s so rich

IMG_3641.thumb.jpeg.1a39d7407a1eb5d428d032bc3ee85802.jpeg

IMG_3642.thumb.jpeg.4e7a832982b2d4a747cc8cb3def5a1e3.jpeg

IMG_3646.thumb.jpeg.46ce3d91c337b2560d1527a56ba523e9.jpeg

By this point it was 7:15 and I wanted to see the crystallize show. 

By the time I got there is was chaos because they wouldn’t open the upstairs for people because of the retreat guests. And yet no one from retreat was going there. They opened it last minute so was a scramble to get a seat. The whole was really good I’d recommend seeing it. And I’m not a show person but ones I’ve seen have been great. 

IMG_3655.thumb.jpeg.4f34b36215b55c06754668966e19b95b.jpeg

After it was time for the year/no game. Andrew Derbyshire who was spending time with his parents was nominated by his family to play it 😂 
One person managed to get through without saying the words. Trivia was uneventful not great questions today (different host). 

Then I headed out to Eden for tonight’s show which was Alice in Wonderland themed but they also get two audience members to participate. The guys I met the night before sat at the front so one got called up. And that’s why it’s good not to be in the front. 

Time the show was done it was about 11:30 so time for pizza and bed. I think these late nights are making me more hungry because I don’t normally eat late. Then again I am normally asleep by 10 and right now going to bed after midnight. 🥱 

IMG_3677.thumb.jpeg.7bec26fc4eea9c0a23a54a36b8e46fa1.jpeg

IMG_3683.thumb.jpeg.fce7a5a762ee9e1dede1898cf8052a8a.jpeg

IMG_3689.thumb.jpeg.24ad990348f448f8b6e9ec82b380d39f.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Day 3 at sea

I slept in today but time I headed out was 8:30 (that’s a sleep in for me) and it was so quiet on the ship. I didn’t check the buffet out I went to Eden cafe to get a panini and a cinnamon roll (this one was better than the one I had on beyond) after which was time for my pistachio latte.

IMG_3608.thumb.jpeg.9c392fb0f1b5a341013457ea6210c07c.jpeg

I went for a stroll to the sunset bar to relax for a hour with my coffee as it was nice and warm. Ok not so warm I’d sun bath like some have been but I didn’t need layers. 

10:15 I killed some time with watching the trivia before the Captains club welcome event. I don’t know if they thought more were coming but there were more food and drinks than people. 

IMG_3618.thumb.jpeg.cfd6ef4488b4f9e9b165719dedeb08a4.jpeg

IMG_3621.thumb.jpeg.33ea38ff4c5c4914bdb4c6ac11856f2b.jpeg

Next up was jukebox trivia I ended up teaming up with a couple from the UK. No offence it was nice having more European music included that I would know 

This went until 12:45 at which point I needed food. The guys told me they were going to check it out for Belgium chocolates that was put out but the place looked picked over. The buffet was a zoo in there I barely found a place to sit. The theme today was British food and well it was a major fail. Celebrity seem to have a thing with calves liver, I’ve seen it listed and it was on the buffet. I don’t think it’s popular I ate liver as a child because we were poor. The bangers and mash, I should have taken a picture it was bad. The sausages were sliced up and looked more like hot dogs than traditional sausages. I took a ‘beef pie’ which is not a beef pie but a cottage pie (some people call it shepherds pie but needs to be made with lamb for that. If made with beef it’s cottage). So yeah the British theme needs improving, but the curries were good 😆 

After lunch I met the couple for music bingo which is a lot of fun. It was 70s themed and well you need to know the song and a few people thought they had bingo but didn’t because they had the wrong song. 

I headed to the pool deck for the bar for a bit. It was extremely busy. This cruise feels more busy than the beyond one I did but a guy I met said it seemed like a lot of families and large groups. 

A while trying to get a drink I noticed one of the servers kept missing this girl, she must have been early 20s and sweet she wouldn’t say anything.  So when he asked who is next I called him over to tell him to serve her then he tried not serving her because she ‘needed to be 21’ not in Europe. That’s a training issue there.

I met up with another couple for the next trivia session. I had met them the night before in Eden show and well I won’t say how we did needless to say themed trivia (unannounced it was themed) on animals is not our thing 😂 

After our massive fail I headed back to my room to rest and get ready for dinner at Eden. 

Dinner was relatively quiet. I don’t know what’s happening with menus but after I was seated they asked what drink I wanted but had yet to give me a drinks menu. So by day three whispering angel is out in Eden 🙄 

Amuse bouche was a nigiri I think hamachi. Then I had the crab cake followed by the lobster casserole. I went for the chocolate pie for dessert but unable to finish as it’s so rich

IMG_3641.thumb.jpeg.1a39d7407a1eb5d428d032bc3ee85802.jpeg

IMG_3642.thumb.jpeg.4e7a832982b2d4a747cc8cb3def5a1e3.jpeg

IMG_3646.thumb.jpeg.46ce3d91c337b2560d1527a56ba523e9.jpeg

By this point it was 7:15 and I wanted to see the crystallize show. 

By the time I got there is was chaos because they wouldn’t open the upstairs for people because of the retreat guests. And yet no one from retreat was going there. They opened it last minute so was a scramble to get a seat. The whole was really good I’d recommend seeing it. And I’m not a show person but ones I’ve seen have been great. 

IMG_3655.thumb.jpeg.4f34b36215b55c06754668966e19b95b.jpeg

After it was time for the year/no game. Andrew Derbyshire who was spending time with his parents was nominated by his family to play it 😂 
One person managed to get through without saying the words. Trivia was uneventful not great questions today (different host). 

Then I headed out to Eden for tonight’s show which was Alice in Wonderland themed but they also get two audience members to participate. The guys I met the night before sat at the front so one got called up. And that’s why it’s good not to be in the front. 

Time the show was done it was about 11:30 so time for pizza and bed. I think these late nights are making me more hungry because I don’t normally eat late. Then again I am normally asleep by 10 and right now going to bed after midnight. 🥱 

IMG_3677.thumb.jpeg.7bec26fc4eea9c0a23a54a36b8e46fa1.jpeg

IMG_3683.thumb.jpeg.fce7a5a762ee9e1dede1898cf8052a8a.jpeg

IMG_3689.thumb.jpeg.24ad990348f448f8b6e9ec82b380d39f.jpeg

Looks like you are having a lot of fun and staying busy.  So on E class, if I want to sneak into a show right before, the area upstairs reserved for Retreat opens up right before the show if seats are available?  I’ve read this a few times, just clarifying.

30 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Looks like you are having a lot of fun and staying busy.  So on E class, if I want to sneak into a show right before, the area upstairs reserved for Retreat opens up right before the show if seats are available?  I’ve read this a few times, just clarifying.

On chic nights they reserve it for retreat but right before the show they open it for everyone. I don’t think many go there because it was empty when we were let in. If you want to sit on deck five I’d go and wait for them to open vs like me having to run upstairs when it opened 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

On chic nights they reserve it for retreat but right before the show they open it for everyone. I don’t think many go there because it was empty when we were let in. If you want to sit on deck five I’d go and wait for them to open vs like me having to run upstairs when it opened 

I would rather not sit and wait…we will eat early then head to check out the show so should be getting there close to starting time anyway, so wondering if that is our best location (just DH and myself)

great pics.. so far EDEN dinner and shows there are  looking like highlights!

Re Veggies  in BLU or MDRs.. etc.

I always ask for double portion and try to skip alot of carbs.  Salads are also a good veggie choice.. as a side or main!  Buffet has best veggies..but one has to hunt around!

Hope you enjoy it all!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

great pics.. so far EDEN dinner and shows there are  looking like highlights!

Re Veggies  in BLU or MDRs.. etc.

I always ask for double portion and try to skip alot of carbs.  Salads are also a good veggie choice.. as a side or main!  Buffet has best veggies..but one has to hunt around!

Hope you enjoy it all!

I would need a portion to begin with. With the steak it was a few cubes of potato and same amount of squash. 

I had a look at tonight’s menu it is t really that appealing for me. I don’t know who is doing menu planning but they need to get rid of calves liver. I’ve seen it a couple of times on board and no 🤢

I’m actually exhausted I fell asleep on the bus today so thinking I may just do the buffet and have an early night. Apparently my body can no longer do late nights and early mornings but I’m on Apex again in December so can watch the Eden shows then as I don’t have plans for the day

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Something I just thought of. The future cruise desk I mean I’m used to getting the leaflets in the daily but it feels like it’s being brought up more and I came back today for a separate leaflet to remind me about future cruise booking (had one at the beginning of the cruise). 

Maybe I didn’t notice before but feels a little like the bookings aren’t happening as much as they thought. The area downstairs rarely has guests there when I pass

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GuyeCO said:

Thank you for the great review. Contemplating this itinerary for our 10yr anniversary next year. This is really helping!

no problem honestly day one in Norway and it’s fantastic I’d recommend Norway. 

• Like 2

Following! Thank you for doing this review, as we are also thinking about booking this cruise for next summer. We love Norway and have been to Belgium but my hold back is the E class ship.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 1:09 PM, abbydancer2003 said:

I thought Moxy was different.  Based on what I have found at Moxy you only receive a food or beverage credit vs free breakfast.  I could be wrong, I have only stayed in one Moxy and that is what I remember being told. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I thought Moxy was different.  Based on what I have found at Moxy you only receive a food or beverage credit vs free breakfast.  I could be wrong, I have only stayed in one Moxy and that is what I remember being told. 

my rate included breakfast. Some promo they had for April- Oct according to my booking confirmation (people checking in before me must have booked earlier because they didn’t get breakfast). They did though give me a voucher for a free drink. Sounds like I really lucked out on that booking 

Edited by Lena11033

Ok I was too tired to put actual proper clothes on my lululemons, t shirt and sandals was all I had energy for. 
The buffet tonight had Mexican food, the usual items like curry, pasta and story fry. But also had two kinds of ceviche. 

I will say for research purposes I had ice cream. The after eight one actually tastes minty so something is off with the MDR ice cream. So far there the vanilla was well 0% vanilla and the coffee one barely tasted of coffee (someone I was talking to didn’t realize it was coffee because they couldn’t taste anything 😬)

Curious if you entertained the 12nt option at all? Or if anyone else contemplated both? Anything I am missing between the two besides the obvious extra 5 nights... Is one better than the other?

6 hours ago, GuyeCO said:

Curious if you entertained the 12nt option at all? Or if anyone else contemplated both? Anything I am missing between the two besides the obvious extra 5 nights... Is one better than the other?

I did but I was limited with time and money