MERGED Missing ship on purpose

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mom says said:

You must want to see that play really badly, considering the hoops you will have to jump through. You MUST get advance Authorization from the cruise line so that they can adjust their manifest and arrange Immigration at your UK port. Plus pay the admin fee. Then of course there's the expense of meals and hotel in London. Add in the cost of the Eurostar to Brussels and the connecting train to Zeebrugge. BTW, it's likely much faster to take the train than to fly. You only need to be at St Pancras 90 min before the train leaves, vs 3 hours before a flight. It's 2 hours to Brussels ( there is also a 1 hour time change), then 1.5+ hours to Zeebrugge (which you would need to take even if you flew).

Thanks, figured we’d spend the day in Brussels regardless so flying wasn’t a bad idea.  Hotel woul be Brussels as well.  Have to see what NCL says. 

Edited by Airbear232

43 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

There are a few factors that would impact our answer (based on personal experience).  1.  What country/countries.  and 2. Which cruise line.  Without that info, it is impossible to give any decent advice.

Hank

See above

4 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

I’m going to reach out to NCL this week and will let everyone know the outcome. 

I predict that the answer will be to ask on board the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

We’d see family in London too but leave same night for Brussels

That can only be possible if you are there on one of the days that has a matinee. Because the evening plays get out far too late to catch a flight. BTW, where do you plan to store your overnight luggage while you are in London? Where you can retrieve it in time for the trip to the airport for your check in 3 hours before departure? Nonstop evening flights aren't as plentiful as you seem to think.

All those posters recounting experiences of doing this between UK and the Continent (EU/Schengen) pre 2021 - things are VERY different now (and going to get worse soon).

I think this is a bad plan from OP. Do London before or after the cruise if possible.

6 hours ago, OddHack said:

Absolutely set this up ahead of time.  If you don't, you will at a minimum be inconveniencing all the other passengers when the ship waits (however long it's going to wait) to see if you return, and there could be additional hassles if the ship a) leaves anything with the port agent where you departed, and b) deactivates your card, closes your accounts, etc.

My Dad did this (quite a few years ago now) on a cruise to Norway - it was an unusual itinerary where the ship stopped at city A, went on to city B, and returned to city A.  We have relatives in city A, so Dad thought he'd stay with them in-between the ship stops.  My only advice was to make sure the ship crew knew and approved of his plan - he did, and had no problems.  But that was some time ago, things may have changed.

The ship crew also needs to know because of (as noted above) customs/immigration regulations, and there could be restrictions like the US's PVSA to be considered. (The PVSA itself applies only if you get on in one US port and off in another, but other jurisdictions might have their own rules.) Also keep in mind the possibility that the ship may need to skip your planned reboarding port for weather or other reasons.

>>>good pick up , never thought of that one

2 hours ago, mom says said:

That can only be possible if you are there on one of the days that has a matinee. Because the evening plays get out far too late to catch a flight. BTW, where do you plan to store your overnight luggage while you are in London? Where you can retrieve it in time for the trip to the airport for your check in 3 hours before departure? Nonstop evening flights aren't as plentiful as you seem to think.

Well, we can always adjust.  The show is at 7:30.  Staying in London is an option as well and we can catch an early flight.  If NCL is agreeable, the rest will work out. 

1 hour ago, SteveH2508 said:

All those posters recounting experiences of doing this between UK and the Continent (EU/Schengen) pre 2021 - things are VERY different now (and going to get worse soon).

I think this is a bad plan from OP. Do London before or after the cruise if possible.

It all depends on NCL, if they agree, then it’s possible.  Read above, we are booked elsewhere before and after the cruise.  It might not be your cup of tea but that doesn’t make it a bad plan.  Doing something special for DW, makes it a great plan for me. 

21 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

It all depends on NCL, if they agree, then it’s possible.  Read above, we are booked elsewhere before and after the cruise.  It might not be your cup of tea but that doesn’t make it a bad plan.  Doing something special for DW, makes it a great plan for me. 

There have been posts on the NCL board that say that NCL no longer allows this. But I guess it can't hurt to ask.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

There have been posts on the NCL board that say that NCL no longer allows this. But I guess it can't hurt to ask.

I have read many posts post covid that NCL flat out has been saying no but it can’t hurt to ask and see if they are still saying no. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

I’m going to reach out to NCL this week and will let everyone know the outcome. 

We did something similar while traveling on the Getaway a couple of years ago.  We contacted NCL Senior VP for Guest Services Katty Byrd (kbyrd@ncl.com).  She made all the arrangements for us with the appropriate immigration / customs offices.  Our circumstances were a bit different than yours, so your request may prove a bit more difficult.  I still would recommend that you contact Ms. Byrd for assistance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Traveling Man said:

We did something similar while traveling on the Getaway a couple of years ago.  We contacted NCL Senior VP for Guest Services Katty Byrd (kbyrd@ncl.com).  She made all the arrangements for us with the appropriate immigration / customs offices.  Our circumstances were a bit different than yours, so your request may prove a bit more difficult.  I still would recommend that you contact Ms. Byrd for assistance.

Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback and will try with her. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I have read many posts post covid that NCL flat out has been saying no but it can’t hurt to ask and see if they are still saying no. 

We were on the Getaway in 2022 and only wanted to take the first three days of a ten day cruise.  We boarded in Southampton and left in Amsterdam instead of continuing to Copenhagen.  Since The Netherlands and Denmark are both EU / Schengen countries, our circumstances may have been a bit less complex than @Airbear232's desire to skip from England to Belgium.

When you enter a country on a cruise ship, all pax and crew are cleared for entry by the Local Immigration. While the ship is in port, all pax and crew have a blanket visa - permission to enter - that is your cabin key card or crew card.

So long as the ship remains in port, in the country’s waters, your visa is good.

As soon as the ship departs, all the blanket visas are cancelled.

If a crewmember or passenger remains behind, without informing local immigration, they are illegally in that country, and subject to fines or jail.

That is why it is so important for the ship to know about anyone who plans to remain behind. When they are informed in advance, they use the ship’s agent to coordinate with local immigration to issue a valid visa for the pax or crew to remain legally in the country

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1