Regensburg versus Passau

Tedferg

Looking at a first river cruise. Viking - Danube to Budapest. Some start in Regensburg and others in Passau. Is there any preference to which port to start?

ETA I just noticed that the itineraries are different, so more than just the starting point.

Without more information it's hard to say, but... I liked Regensburg more than Passau, so if you have to choose between seeing one or the other, I thought Regensburg was more interesting.

2 days in Vienna vs 1 day in Vienna  and 1 in Bratislava.  Overnight stays are nice.

Passau avoids one low water area. Are you spending extra time before cruise?  I preferred Passau over Regensburg, and would want more time in Passau.

Linz or no Linz?  I enjoyed my time in Linz, but I used it to explore a nearby town.

Watch some Youtube videos, they'll give you a sense of what you really want to see or miss.  Everyone has different interests.  Regardless of choose, have fun.

26 minutes ago, ural guy said:

Passau avoids one low water area.

Ah I thought I had heard there was a difference.

Are you spending extra time before cruise? 

Not sure but would like to do Prague

Is Munich the closest major airport? If not using Princess transfer, hod do you get to Regensburg or Passau? We will vacation in England before river cruise.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Regensburg versus Passau
8 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Is Munich the closest major airport? If not using Princess transfer, hod do you get to Regensburg or Passau?

Munich is the closest major airport to both cities. There´s a regional train at the airport connecting to Regensburg. For Passau you need to go downtown Munich to the central station and take a train from there.

Regensburg is much nicer than Passau. But anyway for just boarding it doesn´t really matter. You need at least one or two nights (so one whole day) to enjoy either city prior to the river cruise.

steamboats

Just sailed Emerald and we embarked in Regensburg in the afternoon and overnighted there and we were there the entire next day...and then the next day in Passau. Loved both equally.  

• Like 1

Tedferg

We were on pins and needles a few weeks ago with the flooding and the closure of the Danube. We sailed about 10 days after it reopened to ship traffic and you would never know the flooding they experienced - was not evident anywhere. As a matter of fact all the cities we visited were spotless ... its such a rude awaking coming from the NY area.

7 hours ago, BobMartha said:

Tedferg

We were on pins and needles a few weeks ago with the flooding and the closure of the Danube. We sailed about 10 days after it reopened to ship traffic and you would never know the flooding they experienced - was not evident anywhere. As a matter of fact all the cities we visited were spotless ... its such a rude awaking coming from the NY area.

What date did you travel? We are leaning towards September 2025

On 7/14/2024 at 5:06 PM, ural guy said:

I preferred Passau over Regensburg, and would want more time in Passau.

So I preferred Regensburg and Ural Guy preferred Passau.  You really can't go wrong!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Tedferg, we sailed the end of Sept. last year. We were to go from Budapest to Nuremberg, but couldn't make it past Passau. Usually summer is the dry time, but unfortunately, we got caught in it. You can never tell with the rivers, which is why they are reluctant to cancel any cruises.  Rivers can be perfect, but add in a week of heavy rain, or a week of hot dry weather, and things can change quickly.

We were bussed to Regensburg from Passau, and I was really glad to see it, as it's a beautiful city. Next Danube cruise we will tour Passau.

Edited by Daisi