Help with the Tube

I am finalizing all the info I need for our upcoming trip.  We are planning on using the tube on two different days.  I have the general info I need but just want to find out what to look for when changing trains.  When coming from LHR we are taking the Piccadilly line and changing trains at Baron's Court or Hammersmith.  I know it is just a cross platform change (I read it on here somewhere) but I want to make sure we don't get on a train going in the wrong direction!  After that change we are changing at Westminster stop to the Jubilee line for one stop to the Waterloo station.  Again, what direction should we be looking for?  

Another day we are going from Westminster station to Tower Hill.  My research says to go on the District line or Circle line to Tower Hill Station.  That is not the end of the line so how do I know which actual train to get on?  After Tower of London we will be heading to Buckingham Palace.  From Tower Hill we go to Victoria tube station.  Again, which train direction?  

Thanks for any and all help!

I just answered my own questions.  I found a wonderful site called Rome2Rio which you can use to get directions.  Gave me the info I needed.  

You actually don't need detailed answers here. Signing for routes and the names of lines is excellent at every station. 

So, to take your second example. As you enter the station, you'll see signs directing you to the platforms for the District or Circle line. As you get close to the platforms, you'll see two more detailed signs - one for each direction and both listing all that line's stations in that direction. Simply check the boards for Tower Hill and that's your platform.

So long as you know what line you want, and the names of stations where you might have to change lines, you'll have absolutely no problem. Don't worry - you'll be fine. 

12 minutes ago, Harters said:

You actually don't need detailed answers here. Signing for routes and the names of lines is excellent at every station. 

So, to take your second example. As you enter the station, you'll see signs directing you to the platforms for the District or Circle line. As you get close to the platforms, you'll see two more detailed signs - one for each direction and both listing all that line's stations in that direction. Simply check the boards for Tower Hill and that's your platform.

So long as you know what line you want, and the names of stations where you might have to change lines, you'll have absolutely no problem. Don't worry - you'll be fine. 

Thanks!  Appreciate it.  Looking forward to my trip in a couple of weeks.  

Part of the 'fun' of the tube is getting on the wrong train!  There are however lots of signs before the platforms and screens on platforms with details of the next service.  There are also plenty of staff.

It really isn't an issue if you do go the wrong way, you just get off at the wrong station and go back (there are route plans in every carriage), if you don't leave the station it doesn't cost anything to back track.

One word of advice if you aren't alone is to have a plan should you get split up getting on a train (which can happen at very busy times).  My advice is whoever is on the train to get off at the first stop and wait for the other group to catch up.  I was on the tube a few weeks ago and a teenager had got split from her friends, they had a plan in place to meet at a station, but she was worried she was on the wrong train, she wasn't.

As regards your first trip why the change at Hammersmith or Baron's Court?  Do you need to go there?  If not take the district to Green Park and then a Jubilee to Waterloo.

• Like 1

I was discussing my upcoming trip to London with my older daughter who has been to London.  I mentioned that we (DH, myself, and 2 friends) were getting the Oyster card to use on the tubes.  She feels that it would be too much for my DH with all of the stairs in the Tube and said we would do much better by traveling by Uber.  Are there really so many stairs?  By taking an Uber, wouldn't traffic be a problem with getting to sites (Tower of London, etc.)?

29 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I was discussing my upcoming trip to London with my older daughter who has been to London.  I mentioned that we (DH, myself, and 2 friends) were getting the Oyster card to use on the tubes.  She feels that it would be too much for my DH with all of the stairs in the Tube and said we would do much better by traveling by Uber.  Are there really so many stairs?  By taking an Uber, wouldn't traffic be a problem with getting to sites (Tower of London, etc.)?

Stairs “depend”. There are routes to most destinations that have escalators and lifts. It may take more planning but it can be done. TFL has, surprise, a site on accessible travel on the Tube. Start there. 

https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessibility/?intcmp=52

And yes, traffic will be a problem in a vehicle. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Stairs “depend”. There are routes to most destinations that have escalators and lifts. It may take more planning but it can be done. TFL has, surprise, a site on accessible travel on the Tube. Start there. 

https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessibility/?intcmp=52

And yes, traffic will be a problem in a vehicle. 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you!

I've generally found the TFL web page to be very good. Look at options. But ask on this site! There are people here who use the Tube all the time and can confirm if something that looks good really is.

And I don't know your DH's actual mobility. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Some stations have lots of stairs, but also have lifts (Covent Garden), others have escalators and then steps to street level, some are step free.

If there are four of you the minimum underground fare will be about £11 depending on time of travel.  With this in mind taking a taxi (I'd use a black cab in central London over an Uber) it can be cost effective for the occasional trip.

A 2-3 mile trip (which is most of central London) is typically £15-20 depending on traffic.

Don't dismiss the buses which are plentiful and cheaper than the tube.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

As regards your first trip why the change at Hammersmith or Baron's Court?  Do you need to go there?  If not take the district to Green Park and then a Jubilee to Waterloo.

First rule of Cruise Critic: NEVER change at Green Park (particularly with luggage) 😀

4 hours ago, markeb said:

I've generally found the TFL web page to be very good. Look at options. But ask on this site! There are people here who use the Tube all the time and can confirm if something that looks good really is.

And I don't know your DH's actual mobility. 

The tube is by far the quickest way of getting round inner London. Buses are more fun, but slow because of the traffic. The maps all show which stations have step free access.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

First rule of Cruise Critic: NEVER change at Green Park (particularly with luggage) 😀

Particularly as the District Line doesn’t go there. 😀

9 hours ago, Luckynana said:

She feels that it would be too much for my DH with all of the stairs in the Tube and said we would do much better by traveling by Uber.  Are there really so many stairs?

In addition to what other people have said, I thought it would be worth mentioning that even where there are lifts or escalators (and do stand on the right...) then there can be significant distances involved within the flat parts of the tube station, with some stations actually directing you a longer way around to reduce crowds on the platforms.

Furthermore, depending on the time of day you are travelling, the tube can be really busy - not just mildly busy, but absolutely crammed in with no room at all to move busy.

And then lastly, central London isn't actually that big and walking is quite possible - don't be those people who get on the tube to travel between Covent Garden and Leicester Square.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luckynana said:

getting the Oyster card to use on the tubes

You can buy an Oyster if you want (each card costs £7, not refundable) but Oyster is no longer the dominant payment method.  Contactless (bank card. smartphone, smartwatch) is now the usual payment method, has no upfront fee, and can be used to more destinations than Oyster.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

In addition to what other people have said, I thought it would be worth mentioning that even where there are lifts or escalators (and do stand on the right...) then there can be significant distances involved within the flat parts of the tube station, with some stations actually directing you a longer way around to reduce crowds on the platforms

Kings Cross is a complete nightmare. By the time you get upstairs you feel you could have walked to Newcastle.

Hi Dickinson, lots of good advice already but one thing to remember - all Tube lines are different colours. It may be easier to remember 'light blue' than 'Victoria' for example, especially when you're looking for/following signage through a station.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Kings Cross is a complete nightmare. By the time you get upstairs you feel you could have walked to Newcastle.

Kings Cross was actually the station I was thinking of!

Amusingly if you ignore the direction signs to the Piccadilly line from the main station and walk in the opposite direction you get there in a quarter of the time.

But such misdirection and hidden routes occur everywhere - I recently discovered the secret route at Gatwick airport that bypasses the long and tortious route from security to the departure hall through the duty free, and instead takes you directly there.

• Like 1

How crowded is the tube early in the morning?  We have tickets for the Tower of London at 0900.  We are staying at the Park Plaza County Hall.  It seems to be too far to walk so we figured to take the tube.  I assume the roads are crowded too so a cab could be expensive and time consuming.  What do you London experts think?

29 minutes ago, dickinson said:

How crowded is the tube early in the morning?  We have tickets for the Tower of London at 0900.  We are staying at the Park Plaza County Hall.  It seems to be too far to walk so we figured to take the tube.  I assume the roads are crowded too so a cab could be expensive and time consuming.  What do you London experts think?

On a weekday, it’ll be about as busy as it gets. There are several routes you could take but I’d be minded to walk to Waterloo, catch the Waterloo & City line (a one stop shuttle) to Bank then walk 10-15 minutes from there. Yes it’ll be crowded but it’s only one stop and only takes 4 minutes. So door to door in about half an hour.

A cab could take 25 minutes or it could take much longer. You have to cross the river somehow and there are only so many bridges which can all get very busy at rush hour.

• Thanks 1

Assuming midweek, expect it to be packed with folk getting to work. I'd find the walk a bit much at the start of a day's touristing - Google Maps suggests a good 50 minutes.

By the by, Park Plaza County Hall is a nice hotel. My partner used to stay there regularly when working, as her employer's head office was just round the corner. I've stayed there once and found it fine 

• Thanks 1

As others have noted, you have multiple tube routes, all will work.

I would choose to walk across the river (using Hungerford Bridge) to Embankment station.  The District/Circle line from there to Tower uses bigger trains and they are air conditioned, so even if busy they're not as claustrophobis as the traditional tube type train.

3 hours ago, Island2Dweller said:

As others have noted, you have multiple tube routes, all will work.

I would choose to walk across the river (using Hungerford Bridge) to Embankment station.  The District/Circle line from there to Tower uses bigger trains and they are air conditioned, so even if busy they're not as claustrophobis as the traditional tube type train.

I absolutely agree with your choice of Tube line, but Westminster is significantly closer to the Park Plaza than Embankment, so I'd head there straight over the bridge. 

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

What about taking the ferry from London Eye Waterloo Pier to Tower Pier? Might that be less busy?

It's a good shout generally, but the London Eye pier doesn't start operating until after the OP needs to be at the Tower. 

• Thanks 2