Koningsdam July 27 Alaska - A few questions

Hi all.  I know some of these are repeat questions, but I'm seeing conflicting info and recommendations (and, yes, I've searched the boards).  Hopefully some of you won't mind humoring me.  To the extent it changes answers, we are booked in a neptune suite.  And it's our first HAL cruise, so we have no experience here.  (We have sailed other lines, though.) 

1. Specialty Dining with kids - We've got a reservation for 6 on the first night at Tamarind applying the HIA credit.  I didn't include my son (8) on the reservation because he will eat off the kids menu and I didn't want to chase a refund since that wasn't an option on the reservation.  Best option for making sure there's a seat for him?  Neptune lounge concierge? 

2. Embarkation in Vancouver - I'm seeing things that say get there at 10/10:30 or 1:30.  I had been planning to be early since we have priority status, but our boarding passes say first check in at noon.  That doesn't comport with what I've read or with the schedule on the app... Any guidance here appreciated.  My son is generally a very well-behaved child (my friends who don't like kids love him), but long lines are something I'd like to avoid with him.  If we drop our bags at say 10:30 and then go for lunch in the area before going to check in, any suggestions?  (We're flying in and staying at the JW the night before.)

3. Relatedly - anyone cruised Vancouver since they started the facial recognition use?  Is that speeding things up?  

4.  My husband and I both have client-facing jobs where being on vacation doesn't mean all that much and will likely be asked if we can join a zoom/teams meeting or two.  Any tips/tricks on the wifi are appreciated.  Right how we have whatever comes with the HIA plan.  I'm guessing we'll need to upgrade, but granted we're in Alaska and will have cell coverage, I'm kinda iffy on the extra expense, especially if the streaming isn't very good.  

Thanks in advance.  Also happy to hear any recs/tips/tricks anyone has for us since this is a new adventure!  Appreciate the feedback! 

Change you reservation from 6 to 7. You will need a larger table than what will be assigned to you. And why wouldn't you pay for your son if he is eating in a specialty restaurant? Unlike NCL, I don't believe HAL offers the same children's menu in their specialties,but has their own per restaurant with a charge. Hopefully someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of internet access, it can be spotty in Alaska due to the geography. No way to know how good/bad until you get there.

12 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Change you reservation from 6 to 7. You will need a larger table than what will be assigned to you. And why wouldn't you pay for your son if he is eating in a specialty restaurant? Unlike NCL, I don't believe HAL offers the same children's menu in their specialties,but has their own per restaurant with a charge. Hopefully someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of internet access, it can be spotty in Alaska due to the geography. No way to know how good/bad until you get there.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/faq/onboard-cruise-experience/dining/what-dining-options-are-available-for-kids

My son is pretty picky so it will be pizza or chicken which are included per the HAL website. 

I understand they will be holding a smaller table - hence my ask about how the best way to add him to the reservation.  Also I meant 6 p.m., not 6 people.  I'm figuring going from 2 to 3 people won't be a huge deal, though I imagine a table for 7 might be.  So sorry for the confusion.  

The website has these descriptions for kids' dining in specialty restaurants. I reserved dinner at Pinnacle with my 12-year-old but was charged full price, even though the website says children 12 and under are half price and the reservation system supposedly knows her age.

What's also frustrating to me, from following the boards in the past few months, is all of these policies that aren't applied universally across all ships. Milkshakes in beverage package or not? Elite beverage now capped at 15 total, including non-alcoholic drinks, or not? Does the teens club age range start at 12 or 13 years old?  

Sorry for the tangent. We sail on the 24th (on Zaandam, though) so I would also be interested in answers from experienced cruisers.

pingrilldesc.jpg

FAQdesc.jpg

9 minutes ago, hamnabsma said:

The website has these descriptions for kids' dining in specialty restaurants. I reserved dinner at Pinnacle with my 12-year-old but was charged full price, even though the website says children 12 and under are half price and the reservation system supposedly knows her age.

Well, this is good to know.  I have been following the boards, but this is a new deviation from their website.   I guess we'll see.  Will report back.  I mean, I'll pay if we need to but seems silly to pay extra for mdr/buffet pizza.... 

Ask the hostess in the Neptune Lounge to add your son to the reservation.  You don’t want to be placed at a two-top.

Everyone seems to get the Noon check in time these days.  When the busses arrive around 11-12 o’clock the lines can get long.  You may want to board later when the lines are shorter.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mshaines said:

2. Embarkation in Vancouver - I'm seeing things that say get there at 10/10:30 or 1:30.  I had been planning to be early since we have priority status, but our boarding passes say first check in at noon.  That doesn't comport with what I've read or with the schedule on the app... Any guidance here appreciated.  My son is generally a very well-behaved child (my friends who don't like kids love him), but long lines are something I'd like to avoid with him.  If we drop our bags at say 10:30 and then go for lunch in the area before going to check in, any suggestions?  (We're flying in and staying at the JW the night before.)

3. Relatedly - anyone cruised Vancouver since they started the facial recognition use?  Is that speeding things up?  

4.  My husband and I both have client-facing jobs where being on vacation doesn't mean all that much and will likely be asked if we can join a zoom/teams meeting or two.  Any tips/tricks on the wifi are appreciated.  Right how we have whatever comes with the HIA plan.  I'm guessing we'll need to upgrade, but granted we're in Alaska and will have cell coverage, I'm kinda iffy on the extra expense, especially if the streaming isn't very good.  

Thanks in advance.  Also happy to hear any recs/tips/tricks anyone has for us since this is a new adventure!  Appreciate the feedback! 

2.   I would recommend arriving at 11:00 AM or after 1:00 PM to avoid the noon check-in surge.

3.   With priority boarding as a 5* Mariner with Club Orange, I boarded the Koningsdam last April in Vancouver for seven days in Alaska and eight days later i boarded the Nieuw Amsterdam in Vancouver for a second Alaska cruise.  On both check-ins, my boarding time was not checked.  My first check-in at 11:00 AM did not use facial recognition but the second one at 11:15 AM did.  The difference was approximately 20 minutes waiting in the US Immigration line. 

4.  On both cruises, I had the Premium internet plan.  From both of my aft-facing staterooms, internet VPN speeds were 19-28 Mbps with regular connection speeds from 116-159 Mbps.  Of course speeds are best when most passengers are asleep.  Many Neptune Suites have their own internet repeaters which should produce improved speed.  In my experience, the best onboard internet speeds are at the indoor pools and near the Front Desk.  FWIW Whatsapp calls were clear as were Zoom and TeamViewer sessions.  Here is a price list for internet upgrading once you are onboard and logged in for the first time;  Internet Upgrade Price List.  

On both cruises, i noted that the antenna in my Samsung phone was far more sensitive than the WiFi antenna in my laptop.  After experimenting, I found that using my phone as a modem and tethering it to my laptop had better connection speeds and reliability.  

Here are your daily programs;  Koningsdam Alaska 7-Day Daily Programs

and MDR menus:  Alaska 7-Day MDR Menus.  If you want a late snack, here are the Lido Market Buffet menus:  Late Snack Menus

Tips: 

• As soon as you enter your stateroom, turn on your TV and it will automatically start your Passenger Safety Briefing.
  • As your Room Steward to empty your minibar so that you can fill it with your own items.  Bring gallon-size Ziploc bags to hold saucers of food that needs to remain cooled in your minibar.
  • Since you have a beverage package with your HIA, pick up extra items each day to fill your minibar with your own beverages.
  • The Neptune Lounge has a schedule when food/snacks are changed.  Ask for the times.
  • The NY Deli & Pizza on the balcony overlooking the indoor pool is a great place for Embarkation Day lunch.
  • The lounge area overlooking the indoor pool are free for all to use.
  • The Gelato Bar by the indoor pool has incredible pistachio gelato.
  • There is an underground mall in the basement of the Fairmont Hotel across from the Canada Place terminal.  Many fast food offerings, well-stocked drugstore, and a Starbucks.  Waterfront Mall Stores
  • Just for clarification, you can bring plastic bottles, even disposable ones, onboard if they are empty.
  • Here is a price list for internet upgrading once you are onboard and logged in for the first time;  Internet Upgrade Price List
  • The time listed on your itinerary for each port is the time that passengers may leave the ship and not the time the ship enters the port area.  That means you will need to be up earlier for breakfast and/or to take photos of the area around the port that you will not see on excursions.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

2.   I would recommend arriving at 11:00 AM or after 1:00 PM to avoid the noon check-in surge.

3.   With priority boarding as a 5* Mariner with Club Orange, I boarded the Koningsdam last April in Vancouver for seven days in Alaska and eight days later i boarded the Nieuw Amsterdam in Vancouver for a second Alaska cruise.  On both check-ins, my boarding time was not checked.  My first check-in at 11:00 AM did not use facial recognition but the second one at 11:15 AM did.  The difference was approximately 20 minutes waiting in the US Immigration line. 

4.  On both cruises, I had the Premium internet plan.  From both of my aft-facing staterooms, internet VPN speeds were 19-28 Mbps with regular connection speeds from 116-159 Mbps.  Of course speeds are best when most passengers are asleep.  Many Neptune Suites have their own internet repeaters which should produce improved speed.  In my experience, the best onboard internet speeds are at the indoor pools and near the Front Desk.  FWIW Whatsapp calls were clear as were Zoom and TeamViewer sessions.  Here is a price list for internet upgrading once you are onboard and logged in for the first time;  Internet Upgrade Price List.  

On both cruises, i noted that the antenna in my Samsung phone was far more sensitive than the WiFi antenna in my laptop.  After experimenting, I found that using my phone as a modem and tethering it to my laptop had better connection speeds and reliability.  

and MDR menus:  Alaska 7-Day MDR Menus.  If you want a late snack, here are the Lido Market Buffet menus:  Late Snack Menus

Tips: 

• As soon as you enter your stateroom, turn on your TV and it will automatically start your Passenger Safety Briefing.
  • As your Room Steward to empty your minibar so that you can fill it with your own items.  Bring gallon-size Ziploc bags to hold saucers of food that needs to remain cooled in your minibar.
  • Since you have a beverage package with your HIA, pick up extra items each day to fill your minibar with your own beverages.
  • The Neptune Lounge has a schedule when food/snacks are changed.  Ask for the times.
  • The NY Deli & Pizza on the balcony overlooking the indoor pool is a great place for Embarkation Day lunch.
  • There is an underground mall in the basement of the Fairmont Hotel across from the Canada Place terminal.  Many fast food offerings, well-stocked drugstore, and a Starbucks.  Waterfront Mall Stores
  • Just for clarification, you can bring plastic bottles, even disposable ones, onboard if they are empty.
  • Here is a price list for internet upgrading once you are onboard and logged in for the first time;  Internet Upgrade Price List
  • The time listed on your itinerary for each port is the time that passengers may leave the ship and not the time the ship enters the port area.  That means you will need to be up earlier for breakfast and/or to take photos of the area around the port that you will not see on excursions.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you so much!! 

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

Tips: 

Enjoy your cruise.

thanks great points!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Crew News

I wonder how the chef manages to make the "Vegan mini burger ground beef" Slider???

🤔

"Home Run Slider mini burger ground beef (Vegan) with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and pickles"

51 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Thanks @Crew News

I wonder how the chef manages to make the "Vegan mini burger ground beef" Slider???

🤔

"Home Run Slider mini burger ground beef (Vegan) with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and pickles"

I merely copied the menu info from the huge MDR coloring and puzzle sheets that would not fit into a normal scanner. The description could have been better stated by the menu author if they meant that there was a Vegan option.  I have added this Vegan burger question to my little notebook of things to ask in November.

My best guess is that the Vegan version uses the Skinny Dip brown rice recipe from the Dive In.

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2024 at 1:39 PM, mshaines said:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/faq/onboard-cruise-experience/dining/what-dining-options-are-available-for-kids

My son is pretty picky so it will be pizza or chicken which are included per the HAL website. 

I understand they will be holding a smaller table - hence my ask about how the best way to add him to the reservation.  Also I meant 6 p.m., not 6 people.  I'm figuring going from 2 to 3 people won't be a huge deal, though I imagine a table for 7 might be.  So sorry for the confusion.  

Actually, two to three is a significant change as it means using a 4-top table, not a 2-top.

In Tamarind, your son might like to try a couple of items off the Nami Sushi menu, if he sees nothing he likes on the regular menu.  In the Nami menu, the items are individually priced.