Storing liquor on board - timing

During my visit to Italy (pre-cruise) I will be purchasing two bottles of a specific liquor to bring home as gifts. I have no problem having them stored for me during the cruise. My flight time home on the last day is pretty tight. Does anyone know when/what time I can pick up my bottles or are they delivered to my cabin? I need to have them packed up and ready to depart asap.

They will probably be delivered to your cabin on the last night.

On shorter cruises they don't do that, they make all alcohol pickup available the morning of debarkation in a particular lounge at like 6AM.

You'll receive instructions on your cruise which they're doing.

But like I said they typically deliver alcohol on the last night for longer cruises, which Mediterranean cruises are.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, behappy11 said:

During my visit to Italy (pre-cruise) I will be purchasing two bottles of a specific liquor to bring home as gifts. I have no problem having them stored for me during the cruise. My flight time home on the last day is pretty tight. Does anyone know when/what time I can pick up my bottles or are they delivered to my cabin? I need to have them packed up and ready to depart asap.

You may be able to just bring it right back to your room which would eliminate any stress for you. Many post and live reviews in the past two years have stated that they were able to bring alcohol right back to there room. I have never done a European cruise, but this is just what I have read for years. 

"We carried on at least 8-10 bottles of liquor, wine and champagne we purchased in Barcelona this year.  We stayed in Eixample and were close to a grocery store and the wine was so cheap...like 3-8 Euros.  Even for wine that tasted really good. I had bought one of those bags on Amazon that expands for souveniers and it ended up filled with pretty much alcohol.  The coca-cola was more expensive than the wine.  

My husband bought hard liquor in Scotland or Wales or somewhere last year, too, and carried it on. No one said anything.  They totally don't care.  You can even buy it in the port terminal and carry it on."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Liquor confiscated precruise is not normally returned.

Good point, I missed the pre-cruise qualifier.

Posted (edited)

So far this year, I believe Carnival has allowed liquor to be carried on at the embarkation port f in Europe. Not so much at other ports. When is the cruise and embarkation port?

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

If it's confiscated it my not be returned, but if you ask for it to be stored for you when you embark you shouldn't have a problem.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I’m not sure what you mean by this? If I hand it to them when I’m getting on and ask them to store it for me they will keep it?

53 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

If it's confiscated it my not be returned, but if you ask for it to be stored for you when you embark you shouldn't have a problem.

The last Carnival European cruises we did were in 2022.  Rome and Lisbon cruises both allowed us to bring liquor on at embarkation, and all other ports.  I've seen posts that this may not be the case anymore, depending on the port.

At least if you ask security about having it stored when you embark, they will either store it for you, or let you know if it's allowed to just bring it to your stateroom.  If you try bringing it on without asking, it my be confiscated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, behappy11 said:

I’m not sure what you mean by this? If I hand it to them when I’m getting on and ask them to store it for me they will keep it?

Usually no.  In Europe they let you bring on wine in every port, but usually pre-cruise alcohol is confiscated and "destroyed"

15 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

Usually no.  In Europe they let you bring on wine in every port, but usually pre-cruise alcohol is confiscated and "destroyed"

Not true. At embarkation I've carried on whatever I like, including twice this year.

PXL_20240529_150955687.jpg.88c3624f7be0c

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Not true. At embarkation I've carried on whatever I like, including twice this year.

Wow, I've seen people have to give their bottles up.  My brother sailed from Dover and ended up losing a bottle.

3 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Wow, I've seen people have to give their bottles up.  My brother sailed from Dover and ended up losing a bottle.

I haven't sailed from Dover this year, so maybe they changed, but in the past, I could. I cruised from Barcelona twice this year.

I always lock my suitcase and at least it should make it on the ship, even if you have to claim it from the naughty room.

18 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I haven't sailed from Dover this year, so maybe they changed, but in the past, I could. I cruised from Barcelona twice this year.

I always lock my suitcase and at least it should make it on the ship, even if you have to claim it from the naughty room.

Leave it to Carnival to make rules and then apply them differently in each port.  Then act surprised when people can't remember what is an actual rule.  

3 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Leave it to Carnival to make rules and then apply them differently in each port.  Then act surprised when people can't remember what is an actual rule.  

The cruise contract doesn't change by port and everyone is supposed to read it. Everyone should because they are bound by it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

"Destroyed" one cocktail at a time.

16 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The cruise contract doesn't change by port and everyone is supposed to read it. Everyone should because they are bound by it. 

I won't argue, but when people get away with it, they think it's ok to keep doing it and then act shocked when they get caught.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

I won't argue, but when people get away with it, they think it's ok to keep doing it and then act shocked when they get caught.  

What is that saying? Past performance does not guarantee future results. Or close enough.

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You've been lucky,  booze brought on at embarkation is generally confiscated and destroyed.

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

You've been lucky,  booze brought on at embarkation is generally confiscated and destroyed.

In general, yes, but not on Carnival on European cruises.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

This is also what have seen, even though the cruise contract seems to be exactly the same for European cruise.

True. There is only one ticket contract.