QM2 venues off limits to Britannia guests

Bellarion

Having booked an interior room on the QM2, we are concerned about off limit venues to us, and we would like to know ahead of time so we can plan accordingly.  Recently on this site, a passenger said she was admonished by staff for being in an off limits area, which I believe she said was outside.  Can anyone please list the places we cannot visit?  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Bellarion said:

Having booked an interior room on the QM2, we are concerned about off limit venues to us, and we would like to know ahead of time so we can plan accordingly.  Recently on this site, a passenger said she was admonished by staff for being in an off limits area, which I believe she said was outside.  Can anyone please list the places we cannot visit?  Thank you!

QG and PG restaurants, Grills Lounge, Concierge Lounge on Deck 9, and the Grills Terrace. That’s it, I think. None of these areas is particularly desirable, other than the restaurants, and architecturally they are much less impressive than the Britannia.

• Like 5

You dont have to be concerned or plan, about the only "off limits" areas you'll stumble across are the two Grills restaurants, which are easy to stay out of, and a small terrace at the back of the ship that is out of the way and signposted that its for Grills passengers.

Just now, Jim_P said:

You dont have to be concerned or plan, about the only "off limits" areas you'll stumble across are the two Grills restaurants, which are easy to stay out of, and a small terrace at the back of the ship that is out of the way and signposted that its for Grills passengers.

And is deeply unimpressive anyway.

You’ll see more Grills guests in public rooms (other than the Grills restaurants) than in the very limited venues accessible only to Grill guests. The main benefit of going Grills is a bigger stateroom/suite and expanded dining experience, not the Grills only venues. To be fair, we enjoyed the Afternoon Tea in the Grills Lounge on QM2. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I struggle to believe that anyone would be admonished for straying accidentally into the wrong area, but there again I read of all sorts of unattributed, non-specific events on t'interweb.

The two Grills restaurants both have reception areas in the front of them with clear signs to indicate they are for Grills guests only. Even if you had left your glasses behind then during meal times you could hardly wander past them without someone at the front desk asking whether you would need any help. Very early in the morning, very late at night the place is unattended and you could pop your head in there if you didn't want to look in via the promenade desk outside.

Now the grills terrace, on the other hand, because it's in the middle of a set of terracing at the stern of the ship, it would be possible to be walking down through that area unaware. For example, if you were at the kennels and you want to go down to the smoking area. There is a small sign by the stairs saying it's for Grill passengers.

Unless you are on a slow passage through the Med on a hot day, in the middle part of the day, it's unlikely there would be many passengers on the Grills terrace and staff presence would be minimal or below. In any case a quick skip across the terrace to get up or down to safety would not raise an eyebrow.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bellarion said:

Don't be watching 'far too much Titanic', once you embark QM2  it'll be nothing like that.  You'll have far more public venues to freely move around and enjoy than those upstairs - they will be coming down to join you 😉  

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Question answered.

As for the merits of the spaces reserved for Grill passengers... that is neither the issue or the question. The Grills Terrace on QM2 is small enough without interlopers and yes if you don't belong there, you don't and that's it.

Odd that people fly in airplanes with four completely segregated cabins... good old fashioned "classes" too... without concern or complaint.

But no, modern Cunarders are pretty classless (!).  

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Question answered.

As for the merits of the spaces reserved for Grill passengers... that is neither the issue or the question. The Grills Terrace on QM2 is small enough without interlopers and yes if you don't belong there, you don't and that's it.

Odd that people fly in airplanes with four completely segregated cabins... good old fashioned "classes" too... without concern or complaint.

But no, modern Cunarders are pretty classless (!).  

Wow. Word choices matter, and « interlopers » and « classless » are surprisingly ugly for this board, particularly given the question asked by the OP.  Or am I missing the joke?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Wow. Word choices matter, and « interlopers » and « classless » are surprisingly ugly for this board, particularly given the question asked by the OP.  Or am I missing the joke?

Some humor is dry, especially in written form. I believe Cunard is less class-oriented than other lines with their suite offerings so Cunard is indeed more “classless” vs others. 
And if the sign signs “Grills Passengers Only” then that request should be respected. Anyway, a walk through the QM2 Grills terrace and lounge may underwhelm most pax anyway. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

Some humor is dry, especially in written form. I believe Cunard is less class-oriented than other lines with their suite offerings so Cunard is indeed more “classless” vs others. 
And if the sign signs “Grills Passengers Only” then that request should be respected. Anyway, a walk through the QM2 Grills terrace and lounge may underwhelm most pax anyway. 

Even more so the Concierge Lounge. Now I think about it, the QM2 Concierge Lounge was probably the inspiration for the Grills Lounge on QA, although that does have a little natural light, while the QM2 one has none whatsoever.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Even more so the Concierge Lounge. Now I think about it, the QM2 Concierge Lounge was probably the inspiration for the Grills Lounge on QA, although that does have a little natural light, while the QM2 one has none whatsoever.

Maybe one day I’ll check out the Grills on QA, as an interloper or paying guest…

• Like 1

Responding to 2 Oldpeople in love, I am still shocked that someone wrote asking” Was the grills terrace on Queen Anne being “ policed”, because interlopers were “ getting in”.I appreciate that with the ship being new, some things were not quite as they should be, but “ policed”.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

Responding to 2 Oldpeople in love, I am still shocked that someone wrote asking” Was the grills terrace on Queen Anne being “ policed”, because interlopers were “ getting in”.I appreciate that with the ship being new, some things were not quite as they should be, but “ policed”.

To be fair, there was some unpleasantness on QA in May from a couple of passengers who were not QG or PG and were unpleasant to deck staff.

They apparently 'were informed ' their presence wasn’t wanted on deck eleven and their attitude to staff would not be tolerated..

I’m sure no slight as such was meant  with the term 'policed' and just maybe  that incident was where the term was generated.

Edit

Words can often offend when no offence was meant and it’s quite easy to take offence when no offence was meant.

Edited by Victoria2

I am not sure how classless as a word is offensive when it is used in the context of Cunarders not having classes since... QUEEN ELIZABETH 2.

They do not.  Cunarders are classless. And yes, unlike an airliner.  Exceptfor the examples cited in terms of deck areas.  

And "interlopers" is quite fitting, too... what would you call people who are where they have no business to be. And signs telling them that?  Trespassers?  That works, too. 

If the English language offends, perhaps some other one might be used.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Not to worry…

The Grills cocktail lounge is the most boring bar on the QM2….bar none.

Except on the few occasions when they have live music, if they still do that.

26 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Except on the few occasions when they have live music, if they still do that.

Live music stopped during COVID.

The piano has been removed.

16 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I am not sure how classless as a word is offensive when it is used in the context of Cunarders not having classes since... QUEEN ELIZABETH 2.

They do not.  Cunarders are classless. And yes, unlike an airliner.  Exceptfor the examples cited in terms of deck areas.  

And "interlopers" is quite fitting, too... what would you call people who are where they have no business to be. And signs telling them that?  Trespassers?  That works, too. 

If the English language offends, perhaps some other one might be used.

The thing with classless is it is ambiguous, which could be a reason for choosing it. Didn’t they used to describe QE2 as a one class ship?

9 minutes ago, vieux_carre said:

It was there last week, albeit in the corner and untouched...

Strange. I even discussed it with a barman when we did a back to back TA last year, and it wasn't there.

23 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Not to worry…

The Grills cocktail lounge is the most boring bar on the QM2….bar none.

It’s great if you fancy somewhere quietish straight after dinner for your coffee, petit fours and digestif before moving on somewhere a bit more lively!