Prinz Christian Sound Ice

Does anyone have a web site for tracking the iceberg status for Prinz Christian Sund?  I have read that the ice around Greenland is still pretty thick this year so I am wondering if ships are getting through the water there now?  

7 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Does anyone have a web site for tracking the iceberg status for Prinz Christian Sund?  I have read that the ice around Greenland is still pretty thick this year so I am wondering if ships are getting through the water there now?  

Click on the Kap Farvel box at the following site:  http://polarportal.dk/en/sea-ice-and-icebergs/icebergs/

16 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Thanks for all of the infomration.  We will be there in about 4 weeks so for now it is watch and hope time.

Same here. I'm nervous, but most of what I've read has said it should clear within the next month or so (at least enough for ships to return). Expedition ships are already getting through.

At this point, just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. 🙂

• Like 1

Doesn’t look like we will be going through then as due to do so in 2 days time.  Have already had 2 ports cancelled and tomorrows looks iffy.  Never mind still enjoying the cruise.

We just went thru Prince Christian Sound a few days ago on HAL. Outstanding scenery! Many ice bergs of various sizes. 
but all went well. 
beautiful area!! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cunnorl said:

We just went thru Prince Christian Sound a few days ago on HAL. Outstanding scenery! Many ice bergs of various sizes. 
but all went well. 
beautiful area!! 

So good to know!!  We are scheduled for two passages through there in August.  (Breathing a sigh of relief!)

27 minutes ago, quicklabs said:

We are scheduled for two passages through there in August.  (Breathing a sigh of relief!)

Sorry to disappoint, but although your itinerary may show two passages, cruise ships will normally only do one, whichever of the two has clear passage. It may be your first pass or it may be the second, but only one is the norm.  Itineraries show two, usually one in each direction, as they don't know if one or none will be possible at the times you are there.

Hopefully you will get a transit as it is stunningly beautiful.

9 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Sorry to disappoint, but although your itinerary may show two passages, cruise ships will normally only do one, whichever of the two has clear passage. It may be your first pass or it may be the second, but only one is the norm.  Itineraries show two, usually one in each direction, as they don't know if one or none will be possible at the times you are there.

Hopefully you will get a transit as it is stunningly beautiful.

We are doing a B2B cruise--one pass on each. Hopefully, we will get at least one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, quicklabs said:

We are doing a B2B cruise--one pass on each. Hopefully, we will get at least one. 

B2B is of course different froim a round trip so you may get lucky and get two passages after all.

We arrive in Qaqortoq in a couple of hours.  There are a few icebergs (first icebergs I’ve ever seen!) and lots of fog now.  When I woke up about an hour ago it was fairly clear but not now…

I’ll report more later.

• Like 1