Laundry ?

Redtravel

Last Viking cruise we were in a suite.  It included complimentary laundry. Loved it.  Next cruise, booked penthouse veranda.  Laundry washing is not included.  Pressing is complimentary.  Does laundry service separate wash and fold from wash and press?  Just off Oceania on a 2 week cruise.  On 3 specific dates, laundry bag of 20 items,  wash and fold, returned next day, was sold at a very good price.  It was better than waiting to use the launderette machines.  Does Viking Ocean offer laundry bag specials?  

1 minute ago, Redtravel said:

Last Viking cruise we were in a suite.  It included complimentary laundry. Loved it.  Next cruise, booked penthouse veranda.  Laundry washing is not included.  Pressing is complimentary.  Does laundry service separate wash and fold from wash and press?  Just off Oceania on a 2 week cruise.  On 3 specific dates, laundry bag of 20 items,  wash and fold, returned next day, was sold at a very good price.  It was better than waiting to use the launderette machines.  Does Viking Ocean offer laundry bag specials?  

No specials. It is a per item price. Price list is in the laundry bag in your stateroom.

50 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

No.

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

It was better than waiting to use the launderette machines.  

Hmmm - for us, at least, we've never had to wait to use the wonderful launderette machines.  They are modernized and easy to use!  One of the great things about Viking ocean ships.

Granted, if you go in prime time, they will be crowded, but if you go off hours (early or late, or meal times) we've always been able to get in just fine.

Plus - you often meet the nicest people in the laundry room!  

Have you gone inside them yet and checked it out?  There is one on 3, 4, 5, and 6 on port side.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CCWineLover said:

Granted, if you go in prime time, they will be crowded, but if you go off hours (early or late, or meal times) we've always been able to get in just fine.

Plus - you often meet the nicest people in the laundry room!  

On our last cruise a man entered the laundry room thinking that’s where you drop off your items for the free laundry service and tried handing his laundry bag to my wife. 

• Haha 16

@OneSixtyToOne - and what was your wife's response?!! That's funny though...

And as far as laundry, we were on a 22 day cruise, with an extra 6 days before & after, so we had to do laundry. It wasn't a big deal at all. We took our things down, grabbed our books, and read while we waited (not in the laundry room though). We made sure to set timers to be back and change things out, and then be ready when it was done. It truly didn't take much time out of our day at all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, THartman said:

You may want to bring some dryer sheets. 

Please don't bring dryer sheets on Viking.  Not a good idea in a mass dryer used by many.

They often leave traces in there that bother others and/or are allergic too.

Viking asks you to be considerate and respect your fellow passengers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

While that may be an admirable request I have never seen any statement, posting or request from Viking about that. A large fraction of cruisers use dryer sheets and I don’t expect that to change. 

On 7/22/2024 at 12:10 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

No. The soap is dispensed into the machine when you push a button.

Is there at least an option for fragrance-free soap? I hope so!

5 hours ago, Squillo said:

Is there at least an option for fragrance-free soap? I hope so!

I am very sensitive to fragrance with my asthma (bad enough that I avoid elevators in case there was someone with too much perfume in it) and the soap fragrance is light enough to not bother me.  But the problem is the odor left in the dryers by people bringing their own dryer sheets. A quick sniff before putting the clothes in can help, but since the dryers are above the washers, you have to be really tall for that to work.  I've given up and send my laundry out.

Please make sure you start the washer, that you see it running.  Last cruise there were several times that clothes were in the washer and it hadn't been started.  Not sure what's up with that.

Just now, SantaFe1 said:

No, just one button to push with one kind of awful soap,

We don't mind the soap - have been on 18 Viking Ocean cruises.  I know many of our fellow passengers also don't mind.  It's not the best, but not the worst and the whole laundry set-up, availability, and price ($0) is one of the pluses of cruising with Viking in our opinion.

I guess laundry soap is like wine or food - people have lots of varied opinions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

people have lots of varied opinions.

For most of us who don’t like/won’t use the soap, it isn’t a subjective opinion.  It is an allergy.  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 11:09 PM, Needsanescape said:

Do you bring your own laundry soap?

I’m almost sure you can - yes, soap is provided but the machine will undertake a wash without you pressing the button for the soap. Seem to remember someone on this board talking about unscented washing sheets to put in washing machines.

15 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Used to be Purel.  Not so sure any more.  Thankfully it doesn't seem to trigger allergies for us.  Have enough fun with pollen. 

Someone on this board responded in a thread somewhere about the brand. He worked for the supplier. I recall it was not Purel and was a European or British brand I had no knowledge of.

1 minute ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Someone on this board responded in a thread somewhere about the brand. He worked for the supplier. I recall it was not Purel and was a European or British brand I had no knowledge of.

Makes me itch thinking about it,...